New Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis addresses water pollution crisis on first day

ArsinekArsinek Posts: 55 Greenhorn

Newly sworn-in Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) on Thursday asked the entire South Florida water management board to resign as part of his water policy reform.

In his second day in office, DeSantis thanked the board members for their service but said he had a “bold vision” for the board and asked the members for their immediate resignations.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/424816-desantis-asks-entire-south-florida-water-management-board-to-resign

Replies

• chicochico Punta Gorda and PennsylvaniaPosts: 515 Officer
    As a politician, he is obligated to pay back his donors, etc. Billions for a task force, is just a way to take tax dollars and give to his special interest friends. Same old, same old. Talk is cheap. See where we will be in 4 years. 
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 103 Deckhand
    All politicians in a new position come out of the gate strong. I'll change this, improve that, initiate this, blah, blah, blah. Then they hit the obstacles, the red tape, etc.  Ex.  The Wall!
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 7,190 Admiral
    We want action for clean water!

Stop taking action for clean water!

Captain Todd Approves

• Capt KurtCapt Kurt Posts: 351 Deckhand
    I think it's a great 1st step. We've been fed dis-information on this for years. The Kissimmee Basin is no longer Everglades but suburbs and golf courses. UCF is the largest school in the country. Everyone keeps visiting Disney / Kissimmee and our environment cannot handle it. 
    The lake water is the result of what happens NORTH of the lake. The discussions about releasing the excess rain run off South or East or West does NOT address the problem. We need to stop all fertilization of what was once, the Kissimmee basin area.
    visit Pure Pilates in Fort Lauderdale - http://www.pure-pilates.net
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,938 Admiral
    And how bout them Cows...Millions of Cows pooping several times a day...
    Eat more Chicken..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 202 Deckhand
    I agree with the fertilizer and golf course runoff probelms but how do you put the cat back in the bag. I watch the snowturds around the area I live in fertilizing and watering like mad. When I tell them grass is supposed to be brown on the winter they look at me like I am nuts.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 436 Deckhand
       I did not vote for him,but this guy is hitting the ground
    running.Getting rid of all the So.Fl. water Mgmt.Disrrict,
    attempting to overturn over a 100+last second appts.by 
    prior Fla.head,tackling red tide and algae issues,
    firing the Oklaloosa Super.of schools for abuse in classrooms.
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 2,615 Captain
    Still with the red tide stuff? It’s not going anywhere. No matter who’s in office, or what party is in power. And SEWMD has been a disaster for years under both parties. Good on DeSantis for telling them to resign, bit I don’t think any of them have, yet.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,803 Captain
    pottydoc said:
    Still with the red tide stuff? It’s not going anywhere. No matter who’s in office, or what party is in power. And SEWMD has been a disaster for years under both parties. Good on DeSantis for telling them to resign, bit I don’t think any of them have, yet.
    I don’t think this has to do with red ride. Blue green algae helps fix the nitrogen for k brevis, but that’s a different animal 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 666 Officer
    Hope he can do what all the others have promised. If he does, he's got my vote.
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 2,615 Captain
    Rom, that’s a high endorsement coming from you. It’s nice to see someone who actually knows what’s going on believing  that progress is finally being made. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,938 Admiral
    It's gonna be like Trump trying to build a wall. 
    Big Money and Big Obstructions all over the place.
    He'll need 10 Terms to see it thru...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,066 Captain
    There will be a lot of opposition - money is the driver for most opposing any fixes (particularly if it hurts their bottom line or curtails their ability to pick up a phone and get the "service" - they paid for..).

I like what I see so far but will want to see results before cheering... Every bit of this is stuff WE caused - and it will take decades to clean up and make right.  Young'uns just coming out of college will have jobs for life on this one problem if they have the skills - and we have the drive to keep after this as long as we're able.  Maybe, just maybe, my grandkids will see the benefits... I'd like to think so.  Me... I'll be long gone before we see any real results - at age 70 you're looking down the road a bit (at least I am).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    The opposition wants us to give up and quit or devote our time and energy to issues we can’t fix like global warming and climate change. 
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 555 Officer
    Wra22 said:
    The opposition wants us to give up and quit or devote our time and energy to issues we can’t fix like global warming and climate change. 
    Just because there's been irreversible damage from our carbon emissions doesn't mean we can't limit or negate further harm. This defeatist attitude is what will lead to no progress.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • ArsinekArsinek Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Wra22 said:
    What? Who is this opposition you speak of? That apparently wants to pollute water but yet wants to fight climate change.
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Fix something small. If you can do that, then fix something bigger. 

Don’t be distracted by something so big that you cannot change it.  And don’t let your focus on the BIG problem cause you to not act upon  that which you can change.