Home Off Topic

Moving out

FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
Alright yall, when its time for me to move out, I want to moveout to a small town in Florida where I can hunt and still not be to far from saltwater. I want to live on 5 acres or more out in the woods. So that way my girl can have her horse and cow, and I can have my feeder and stand setup away from them. I am looking for cheaper land because Ill be just starting out. It all depends on where I get stationed because I want to be an FWC officer and I have no idea as to where they will drop me. Do yall have any suggestions on where to go or am I day drinking er um day dreaming?
If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 

Replies

• rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,867 AG
    Florida's full. Sorry
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,153 Captain
    rock_fish said:
    Florida's full. Sorry
    That’s funny, right there. I don’t care who you are. :)
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,232 AG
    Northwest Florida.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    pottydoc said:
    rock_fish said:
    Florida's full. Sorry
    That’s funny, right there. I don’t care who you are. :)
    I already live in Florida so jokes on you buddy boy! Yeah I was waiting on someone to say something like that LOL
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,690 AG
    Pace Florida. The mail is even late there by several days.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,945 Captain
    Flash said:
    Northwest Florida.
    Northwest Floridas full. Sorry😆
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
    I was hopiing to keep on the east coast or central west coast. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,460 AG
    edited January 2019 #9
    Isn't five acres kind of small for both a horse and a cow? With a house and a yard sectioned off, you have maybe 4 acres of pasture. 
    I would think 8 to 10 acres

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

cadman said:
    Isn't five acres kind of small for both a horse and a cow? With a house and a yard sectioned off, you have maybe 4 acres of pasture. 
    I would 8 to 10

No, we used to have three horses on a 5 acre plaot with the house included. Its plenty as long as its 4 pastures with one being larger then the the others. A horse and a cow should be fine on 5 acres as long as grass is healthy. The neighbors have 5 acres and have a bunch of goats and a dairy cow.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,715 Moderator
    How old are the kids? School system is important.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

I dont have kids, im 22 and not even engaged yet.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,154 Admiral
    Move to Key West for a few years
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,437 Admiral
    Nice to have dreams, but you might have to start with less expectations living on the salary of a FWC officer.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,715 Moderator
    Misunderstood the OP. "My girl" being your girlfriend then?

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Come on up to the NW. less pressure than the rest of the state. Red hills area famous for wild quail, plenty of lakes and a great coast.  I have some buddies that work for fwc. One likes in Wakulla County and really likes the small town feel
    You should have been here yesterday
    Misunderstood the OP. "My girl" being your girlfriend then?

That is correct
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,483 Officer
    cadman said:
    I would think 8 to 10 acres

Depends on your grass. 
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
    Why?
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,690 AG
    Don't buy anything until after you get the FWC job. They will send you where they want when you first get hired. You don't get to pick where you go at first.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,201 Captain
    Matt,
    i like your thinking.  I enjoy the panhandle area, and have lots of family in the st Joe, wewahitchka, Pensacola, Panama City areas.   You might also look into the edgewater/oak hills area-north of the KSC. (I just drove US1 yesterday thru there and it's nice).  Sebastian and Grant area is nice also. 

BUT: you are just graduating, maybe get married, and starting your first career...  You need to be realistic with expectations.  I mentioned in an earlier thread about couples counseling and especially financial counseling. I encourage you to listen to Dave Ramsey.  

I finally learned about $/debt in my mid-20s. You seem like a good kid, and I just hope you start life out properly.  Don't, I repeat don't try to "keep up with the jones".   I've seen friends and families of mine go into financial and family ruin over this. 

Mark, I am trying to follow my dads foot steps because the man is a financial wizard. I need to put more money away while I can. My parents said I can stay until I get stationed and and until Allison and I find a suitable home when I move out. Im just mainly worried about giving her a good life. My dad has always done his best to provide for a family and I want to dot he same. Ive never been one to try and keep up with the neighbors. I just live my life as best as I can. 
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,201 Captain
    Good deal Matt.  Payoff any student loan debt while you stay. Pay off hers too, and save save save.  Debt is the devil!
    edited January 2019 #24
    What Mark said about finances. . As far as where to locate, most of the stuff north of Crystal River is pretty reasonable unless you are looking for waterfront property. The amount of jobs isnt as high, nor is the pay (won’t matter if you’re working for FWC), but the cost of owning property is much cheaper than most of the State. I’m not 100% about FWC now, but I know most of the new officers used to get sent to South Florida for their first few years. The Horse Shoe Beach/Steinhatchee/Keyton Beach area has lots of good fishing and hunting, and is reasonably priced also. Again, as long as you’re not talking waterfront.  
    Why?
    Off the chain fishing. I think you’ll have some issues with getting acreage for your critters, though. And it won’t be cheap. :)
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,996 Captain
    I would also second Wakulla County...
  • Buford CletusBuford Cletus Posts: 1,785 Captain
    Okay, now a lot of your posts make more sense.
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    Okay, now a lot of your posts make more sense.

Beat me to it. This explains his opinions on UCF football. He's from the participation trophy generation.

Other than UCF football he seems to be a level headed kid.

Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
    Good deal Matt.  Payoff any student loan debt while you stay. Pay off hers too, and save save save.  Debt is the devil!
    Im on scholarship and she has very minor student debt because her parents helped her out. 
    pottydoc said:
    Why?
    Off the chain fishing. I think you’ll have some issues with getting acreage for your critters, though. And it won’t be cheap. :)
    Do you think key deer taste like pina coladas?