Home Boating

Rebuild or Repower or sell it?

DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,020 Captain
I have a 2004 23 foot boat with twin Yamaha F115s.  Engines have about 1100 hours on them all mine and all in the ocean.  On our last trip, after running great for a few hours our Starboard engine lost power and then wouldn't start.  Took to the shop.  Cylinder 2 compression is down to 100 of 150  and cylinder 3 is 140.  My mechanic who has always done a good job is saying he does not recommend a rebuild given the age of the engine.  Doing some searching on the web some other "experts" have stated a similar sentiment on engines 10 years old or older that have been in saltwater all their lives.  Compression on other engine is still ok.

I would love to hear of any similar experiences or any input on the decision.  Boat, while useable, has some other long term issues that would be expensive to eventually fix so hard to think about a total repower.  Not sure she would sell for much in her current condition.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,747 Moderator
    My concern would normal wear and tear and corrosion that is not visible. The purr of two new outboards is such a sweet sound. I am on my third motor on my current boat. 
     Just my 2 cents worth.
    larrywitt
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,669 Captain
    Hang a used on on it. 
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,020 Captain
    Thanks guys.  Yes both I and my mechanic are looking around for a used motor as well.  
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,614 Captain
    Might depend on the boat brand/model.
    Some are particularly admirable and worth hanging on to.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 214 Deckhand
    I have a 150 2 stroke that stoped moving water through the power head. I went back and forth on repowering and ended up buying a brand new power head from the factory and rebuilding the engine. Glad I did
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,239 Officer
    If the boat was clean then yes repower with Suzukis. If the boat is loaded with its own problems then insure it and sink it as a beat boat with a beat motor is worthless.
  • Eric BEric B Posts: 133 Deckhand
    I had a 2005 Evinrude first generation BRP with about 800 hours on it. My Mechanic was hinting around that it was time for me to start thinking about a rebuild or hang something new. He was at an Evinrude dealer and a customer had just "returned" a 2018 Etec 150 because apparently he had too much money and wanted a bigger hp motor. My mechanic called me up and told me about it and literally $6500 later I had a new Etec with 64 hours on it hanging off the back of my boat!!!!!!! Sometime you gotta be patient and things will fall in your lap! Good luck!!!!!
  • po28derpo28der Posts: 275 Deckhand
    I would tear it down and look at it.  Is it a valve problem or ring and piston problem.  Add oil to the cylinder and if the compression improves then its a ring problem.  If it stays the same then its a valve problem.  It all can be repaired.  I just redid a 2005 HPDI and don't regret doing so.  The price of new motors are very high and the life cycle of these motors are a long shot.  I am a big repair what you have guy and it saves money in the long run for me.  Time will tell if I did the correct thing but at 18 hours now it seems to be running correctly.