Glad we went...

Grand SlamGrand Slam Posts: 176 Deckhand
edited January 9 in Northeast Fishing Reports #1

1/7/19....Been hearing and seeing all the reports for cobia.  Planned last minute to go out and get a couple cobia. Headed out the inlet around 645am.  Headed to some closer wrecks....no luck.   Went just a little bit deeper....2nd drop my buddy gets hit!   34 inch at the fork.   My 2nd drop BAM! gets hit....head shakes and peeling drag ....next thing I know it goes slack.....thought I lost it...but this thing swam to the boat with the jig in its mouth and my buddy just scoops it up.   Much bigger than the 1st one so didn’t even measure.   We hook up to a couple Bonitas and kingfish.   We are about to leave and I grab my rod that was thrown out with a live grunt at the bottom, start reeling it up and halfway up it gets hit.....another cobia brought to the boat.  Bite dies a little and move north to another spot.   As we get there another boat is within the vicinity of where I wanted to be so I stay away about 75 yards and I see him hook up 2 cobias.    After the two cobias they leave....we moved a little closer but no luck.  Headed in early.   Good day.   Get out there if you have a chance.  The cobia are out there

Replies

• WILLIEGATORWILLIEGATOR Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    Nice..some good eating for sure..
  • bigslickbigslick Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    Nice, hope they hang around for awhile.
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 653 Officer
    You were flagged 😂. Love some cobes
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • Bill DuaneBill Duane Posts: 243 Deckhand
    edited January 10 #5
    Great job,  Love them brown fish.
    Is that a kingfish with all those spots? Maybe a big Spanish?
  • Grand SlamGrand Slam Posts: 176 Deckhand
    Now that you say it probably a big Spanish 
  • MaverickMaverick Posts: 721 Officer
    Kingfish. Look at the drop in the lateral line. Nice cobes
    Shut Up and Fish
  • JesseKJesseK JACKSONVILLEPosts: 43 Greenhorn
    That's a small King, which still has its spots.