Home Off Topic

Dovetail jigs?

dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
 Never owned one, but my wife wants me to make several items and wants dovetail joinery. I’m thinking about a 24” Leigh.
   Which ones do you like, and how easy are they to use?
«1

Replies

  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,762 AG
    I have two tools, a big hammer, and a credit card.  I'm sorry not to be more helpful.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    I have two tools, a big hammer, and a credit card.  I'm sorry not to be more helpful.
    It’s ok, that’s how everything starts in the first place.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,090 Admiral
    What exactly are you doing? Can you use a kreg jig?
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
    What exactly are you doing? Can you use a kreg jig?
    Drawers, boxes, furniture type projects. I have a more than a few Kreg jigs, but specifically looking for the best at dovetailing.
       I may have to build a new shop.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,437 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #6
    Is it worth it? My grandfather born 1907 had a wood working shop bigger than his house. He turned out some amazing furniture before he had money to buy it and after.

    My other grandfather same thing. They were both very good but it always looks homemade to me unless you are building cabinets with mica..

    Agree though, the dovetail joints they both did were a work of art, amongst other things.

    My son likes wood working and wants to build their dining room table. I say hit up the furniture store and be be done with it.🙂
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,662 Admiral
    I personally do dowels.  Dovetails are a lot of work and don't have enough in gains, imho.


    “When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

    -Walter Payton
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
    kellercl said:
    I personally do dowels.  Dovetails are a lot of work and don't have enough in gains, imho.
    I’ve never built a corner with dowels. Makes a solid box?
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,662 Admiral
    dave44 said:
    kellercl said:
    I personally do dowels.  Dovetails are a lot of work and don't have enough in gains, imho.
    I’ve never built a corner with dowels. Makes a solid box?
    I believe so.  At least nothing I have made has broken yet.  Dowels with glue seem strong.


    “When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

    -Walter Payton
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
    AC Man said:
    Is it worth it? My grandfather born 1907 had a wood working shop bigger than his house. He turned out some amazing furniture before he had money to buy it and after.

    My other grandfather same thing. They were both very good but it always looks homemade to me unless you are building cabinets with mica..

    Agree though, the dovetail joints they both did were a work of art, amongst other things.

    My son likes wood working and wants to build their dining room table. I say hit up the furniture store and be be done with it.🙂
    Well, I used to hunt in my spare time. I like to fish but it’s colder than I like to be on the water. Used to love golfing too, but it’s too cold and getting more expensive.
        I decided that I might as well have a challenging hobby that makes me use some of the tools I’ve accumulated over the years. 
        Did I mention my wife asked for it? That’s pretty important.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,662 Admiral
    Could you do half overlap with small corner bracing?  I've done that before as well.  


    “When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

    -Walter Payton
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
    edited January 2019 #12
    Well, I’ve done a lock miter, a splined miter and even used a rabbit joint, which is basically what you are asking? 
       But she specifically asked for dovetail joints. We have a neighbor with 3-400 year old furniture pieces she brought from England. I guess that fueled her thoughts on them. And she loves the craftsman/ mission look.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
    kellercl said:
    Could you do half overlap with small corner bracing?  I've done that before as well.  
    If you are building drawers you should go one more step and dado the sides of the box to accept the rabbit you cut on the front. Do away with the corner bracing.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
    Where is Baits Out? 
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,865 AG
    I'm a fan of biscuits. Ive done some woodworking at home and built a coffee table from recycled 100 year old red cedar furniture. Not a single screw is visible. I used biscuits and a Kreg to join everything.

    But, I would like a dovetail setup as it looks really good
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,662 Admiral
    Rabbits work well too.  I avoid dovetail, they look great but take a lot of time and precision.


    “When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

    -Walter Payton
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
    rock_fish said:
    I'm a fan of biscuits. Ive done some woodworking at home and built a coffee table from recycled 100 year old red cedar furniture. Not a single screw is visible. I used biscuits and a Kreg to join everything.

    But, I would like a dovetail setup as it looks really good
    I use biscuits, dowels, Kreg, half lap and tongue and groove, depending on the situation when I’m building something like that as well.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,662 Admiral
    But to answer your question I buy jigs from Rockler.


    “When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

    -Walter Payton
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
    Rockler does have one, it looks a lot like the porter cable. They both look acceptable for drawers, but seem to lack the adjustability for larger boxes.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,295 Captain
    Used to be a guy on PBS that would build all kinds of stuff without power tools. Dove tails were one of them. He always had at least one finger that had been smashed.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,662 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #21
    Yankee workshop or something like that?  I'm amazed at what people can do.  I'm not that good.  I make furniture for my house but it isn't as impressive as what others can do.  

    Edit
    Nevermind, it was wood wright shop.


    “When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

    -Walter Payton
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
    edited January 2019 #22
    Gary S said:
    Used to be a guy on PBS that would build all kinds of stuff without power tools. Dove tails were one of them. He always had at least one finger that had been smashed.
    Roy Underhill. Loved the show. Stupid fat fingers.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,646 Admiral
    I use to watch the Yankee Workshop.  It was a decent show to learn a few things.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,437 Admiral
    Most of the men folk on both sides of the family were builders. Carpenters, cabinet makers etc. You just knew how to build your own house and furniture in the early 1900's 

    I've mentioned it before but worth repeating,. When my Grandaddy was on leave from the railroad building houses the union did not allow the newfangled power saws. Hand saws only on every cut due to taking hours away from the workers. 

    D a m n unions sucked even back then.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,646 Admiral
    My dad was a union carpenter back in the early 60's.

    He worked framing houses when they were building Cape Canaveral & building bridges on the interstates.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,295 Captain
    My dad and his dad were union carpenters. He wouldn't teach me the trade because he didn't want me to go into it. He encouraged me into air conditioning and it made a good living for me.
     I believe if the unions had fought for licenses like the other trades they would have been a lot better off. They are the first to the job and last off.
     And a roofer , I wouldn't do his job for twice his pay.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
    I decided to get the porter cable super jig. It had great reviews, although it is limited in size. If I like making dovetails enough I might by the Leigh 24” jig.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
    Gary S said:
    My dad and his dad were union carpenters. He wouldn't teach me the trade because he didn't want me to go into it. He encouraged me into air conditioning and it made a good living for me.
     I believe if the unions had fought for licenses like the other trades they would have been a lot better off. They are the first to the job and last off.
     And a roofer , I wouldn't do his job for twice his pay.
      There were many carpenters made a pretty good living, even without being union members. 
       There has been a huge influx of cheap labor that some people call carpenters in the last 30 or 40 years however, and there are more showing up every day. 
        That helps keep wages way down, and most people can’t tell the difference between carpentry and sawdust anyway. If they don’t know the difference they want the cheapest.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
    And it’s getting harder to explain to a “ roofer” that water flows downhill. I’ll have to learn another language after all, I guess.
  • Garza BlancaGarza Blanca Posts: 104 Deckhand
    If you're going to be making small boxes and such get an Incra.
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    JEESH!

    If this is an important project to you, spend a little bit of time and learn how to hand-cut French dovetails.  It is not difficult and once you are proficient is almost as fast. 

    Plus, they look sooooooo much better than the stock clunky ones using
    some sort of router jig.

    A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
Sign In or Register to comment.