Offshore 1-7-19

Launched about 5 am headed east out of mayport, Lines in the water around 7am started trolling a temp break in 130ft and ended up trolling out to 200 ft or so and the water was very dirty and green. So we decided to do some bottom fishing as you can see we caught a variety of fish to make it a good day.

I would also like to see if someone can ID a couple fish for me and let me know if their edible?

Replies

• portusrogerportusroger Posts: 152 Deckhand

• PangamanPangaman Posts: 580 Officer
    Good job. How are those squirrelfish to eat? I always throw them back and try not to get poked by the spines on their gills.
    Pangaman said:
    Good job. How are those squirrelfish to eat? I always throw them back and try not to get poked by the spines on their gills.
    I haven’t tried them personally, The guys that went with me wanted them. I will have to ask them.
  • bigslickbigslick Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    The long one is a sand tilefish and they say it tastes like lobster. Second one I believe is a grass porgy or one of the other porgys. Both good eating fish. I was wondering about those squirrel fish too because I catch them all the time but never keep em, thought they were poisonous.
  • model14model14 JacksonvillePosts: 1,008 Officer
    What are the big eyed small red fish? What is the big snapper your holding?
    model14 said:
    What are the big eyed small red fish? What is the big snapper your holding?
    Squirrel fish has the big eyes.. the snapper is a mutton.
  • jimmy06jimmy06 Posts: 1,186 Officer
    edited January 8 #8
    Yes you can eat them.their fins have poison in the so be careful when handling. Also the sand tiles are very good. They have pin bones down the middle you need to take out. 
  • JoyTimeJoyTime Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Great catch

• BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Posts: 1,100 Officer
    nice haul boys!!
  • BigBart56BigBart56 Jacksonville, FloridaPosts: 6 Greenhorn
    The long one (sand tile) is delicious, it taste like lobster.
  • Bear_baitsBear_baits Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Those porgies are white bone porgies. They are super good and they usually hug the bottom or very close to structure. They taste like sheepshead but cleaner. They are related to sheepshead and are excellent eating 
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,145 Admiral
    The squirrel fish are excellent.......and not nearly as dangerous to mess with as folks make out. We sold a lot of them in the market over the years. Could have sold a lot more but the commercial guys never brought very many. 

I would never toss one back........better than b-liner in my book.