Home Off Topic

NFL>College Football

kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,720 Admiral
In the NFL there has been 4 playoff games, with more coming, and 3 of them were really good games.  The CFP had three games...  and not a single one of them was even remotely good.  I still maintain college football is broken.  There is really no reason to obviously get the top 4 teams so clearly wrong.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton

Replies

• FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    kellercl said:
    In the NFL there has been 4 playoff games, with more coming, and 3 of them were really good games.  The CFP had three games...  and not a single one of them was even remotely good.  I still maintain college football is broken.  There is really no reason to obviously get the top 4 teams so clearly wrong.

Extremely broken!
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #4
    kellercl said:
    What 4 teams would you have picked? The better team won last night. Most of the country picked the tide. It was a great game. Nothing is broken. 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,715 Moderator
    Good question. Who is your top 4 kellerci?

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,720 Admiral
    Good question, ND I question if they should have been in.  There big win was Michigan who clearly wasn't what people thought.  Overall I'm still of the opinion an 8 team playoff needs to happen.  4 teams simply isn't enough.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,460 AG
    Nice to avoid the question. 

I think the top 4 were correct. ND was the only real wild card, but who was really better ?

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

edited January 2019 #8
    I think Ohio State and Georgia are both better than ND.  Georgia may also be better than Oklahoma.  

Edit
    I think Texas is better than ND as well.

-Walter Payton
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,980 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #9
    They really don't need 8 games if you think about it. Adding another game is a little too much to a student athlete especially a sport where you could be seriously injured and the effects of that injury lasting the rest of your life. There will be some grumbling occasionally with 4 teams, but overall the 4 team playoff system has demonstrated who should be the national champions since it has started.  This year they could have done without the playoff and the top 2 teams were correct.  The rest were not at that level of UA and Clemson.  The BCS takes in a lot of factors when ranking them and the committee overall gets it right.  After #1 and #2 there is margin for some error and that is where the debates can be interesting.  If you don't get there this year then its up to the team to correct their mistakes to get there the following year.

Edit:  And Notre Dame is always over rated in this system and the last two systems to rank college football teams.  If I had my way they shouldn't be allowed to stay in top 4 unless they play the same amount of games everybody else does.  They need to get off their high horse
    ND should be banned from the CFP until they join a power 5.

-Walter Payton
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    ND should be banned from the CFP until they join a power 5.
    They do play a tougher schedule than other non power 5 teams, but no conference championship so they get so rest while Alabama and Clemson are risking injuries 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,153 Captain
    I ain’t agree with Keller. We give UCF fans crud because they play in a weak conference, so we should stay on ND fans just as bad because they won’t join a conference. They play one less game, and it would usually be against a good opponent. It’s a definite advantage to them that no one else gets. The time for them getting a pass just because of their history is long gone. 
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,461 Captain
    kellercl said:
    Good question, ND I question if they should have been in.  There big win was Michigan who clearly wasn't what people thought.  Overall I'm still of the opinion an 8 team playoff needs to happen.  4 teams simply isn't enough.
    K,
    We need to remember that these are student athletes.
    Their schedule is grueling enough. 
    But ND is required to play 5 ACC teams each year. Next year ND has Georgia and Michigan on the schedule as well.

UCF's schedule isn't even close to Notre Dame in terms of good opponents. 

Mini Mart Magnate

Scoutboat said:
    kellercl said:
    K,
    I don't buy them as students.  I just don't.  They go to big schools to play ball first and foremost.

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    Scoutboat said:
    kellercl said:
    K,
    I don't buy them as students.  I just don't.  They go to big schools to play ball first and foremost.
    Then why do 75% of them graduate with a degree? 

Mini Mart Magnate

edited January 2019 #17
    cadman said:
    kellercl said:
    Scoutboat said:
    kellercl said:
    K,
    Is that 75% NCAA atheletes or 75% football players?  I would bet it is largely program dependant as well.  I don't buy for a second that a team filled with NFL prospects puts education high on the list. 

Edit
    I'm guessing we will have to agree to disagree.  Programs may push their kids through the program but I don't buy they are actual students.  UNC is a great example and I for one don't think UNC is alone in their practice.

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    cadman said:
    kellercl said:
    Scoutboat said:
    kellercl said:
    K,
    Is that 75% NCAA atheletes or 75% football players?  I would bet it is largely program dependant as well.  I don't buy for a second that a team filled with NFL prospects puts education high on the list. 

Edit
    I'm guessing we will have to agree to disagree.  Programs may push their kids through the program but I don't buy they are actual students.  UNC is a great example and I for one don't think UNC is alone in their practice.
    That is football players. Clemson graduated 84% and Alabama graduated 85%. Georgia was low at 53%. There are penalties for colleges who let academics slide. 

I don't know why you want to disagree with the facts, but that is your option, 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/12/04/study-graduation-rate-for-bowl-bound-football-players-is-up/108298402/

Mini Mart Magnate

Numbers are numbers.  Pushing players through with grades not earned wouldn't be new.  Again, to each their own.  I don't buy, just as an example, Bama cares about the quality of education for their players.  

-Walter Payton
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,461 Captain
    "K'
    We need to get real.
    You feel the need for more college playoff games and complain about the quality of education.
    A paradox.
    Most of these kids have one aim.
    The NFL.
    I have no complaint against a player who graduates with a degree in basket weaving.
    I watch college football for entertainment and so do most viewers.
    edited January 2019 #21
    I have no issues paying the players and waiving education requirements.  And expanding the playoffs.  No paradox here.  

I never complained about their education, just gave my view on it.  I don't care if they go to class or not.  If I were Zion Williamson, as an example, I wouldn't bother with course work. 

And for those who aren't pro material, they can be an adult and decide for themselves how serious to take their education.

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    I have no issues paying the players and waiving education requirements.  And expanding the playoffs.  No paradox here.  

I never complained about their education, just gave my view on it.  I don't care if they go to class or not.  If I were Zion Williamson, as an example, I wouldn't bother with course work. 

And for those who aren't pro material, they can be an adult and decide for themselves how serious to take their education.
    That would make them professional players. What about the ones who aren't going to be good enough to get into the NFL and won't have an education to get a job? 

I think you have the wrong idea about college sports. It is a business but one the goals is to get the student athletes an education to make it when they don't get in the NFL. The NCAA has made great strides to change college football from the old days when a star athlete could graduate and not know how to read or write. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #23
    kellercl said:
    I think Ohio State and Georgia are both better than ND.  Georgia may also be better than Oklahoma.  

Edit
    convenient  to say now 

edit How did UGA make out against Texas ?  :) 

edited January 2019 #24
    cadman said:
    kellercl said:

That would make them professional players. What about the ones who aren't going to be good enough to get into the NFL and won't have an education to get a job? 

I think you have the wrong idea about college sports. It is a business but one the goals is to get the student athletes an education to make it when they don't get in the NFL. The NCAA has made great strides to change college football from the old days when a star athlete could graduate and not know how to read or write. 

"And for those who aren't pro material, they can be an adult and decide for themselves how serious to take their education."

Already covered that.

Edit

And players should be paid, flat out.  They bring millions to the table and should get a piece of the pie.  The current system is wrong, IMHO.  Schools operate as a business and rake in millions..  then the schools pretend players are amateurs who shouldn't be paid.   

-Walter Payton
    edited January 2019 #25
    Finfinder said:
    kellercl said:

Edit
    convenient  to say now 

Nothing convenient about it.  I wasn't impressed with their schedule.  I especially started questioning it after OSU decimated Michigan...  and then when Florida did the same, I wasn't sold on ND at all.  I could probably dig up older threads, but I had ND getting handed in the playoffs.  And they did.  ND is constantly over ranked.  

ND should enter a P5 or be ignored akin to what happens with UCF. 

On the bright side, they will be out of the conversation early next year, when GA rips them apart. 

Edit
    Based on end of the season rankings, how many wins against the top 25 did ND have this year?

-Walter Payton
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,358 Admiral
    The problem isn't that the system is broken. It is that it has become a huge money empire. They could absolutely care less about the players. It is man down and next man up. 8 games will not solve anything either. Just make the schools and NCAA richer at the athletes expense. You just have to be satisfied with the results.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,358 Admiral
    In addition the NFL is done as far as I'm concerned. They are a complete joke!
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    Finfinder said:
    kellercl said:

Edit
    convenient  to say now 

Nothing convenient about it.  I wasn't impressed with their schedule.  I especially started questioning it after OSU decimated Michigan...  and then when Florida did the same, I wasn't sold on ND at all.  I could probably dig up older threads, but I had ND getting handed in the playoffs.  And they did.  ND is constantly over ranked.  

ND should enter a P5 or be ignored akin to what happens with UCF. 

On the bright side, they will be out of the conversation early next year, when GA rips them apart. 

Edit
    Based on end of the season rankings, how many wins against the top 25 did ND have this year?
    Nothing convenient at all ?  except your comments are after the games were played .   LOL   

So you answered my question with a question.  I don't care about ND.