Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

Virgin Speck trip help....

Carolina SkiffmisterCarolina Skiffmister Junior MemberSarasotaPosts: 19 Greenhorn
Heading to a friends hunt camp this coming weekend.  Cat lake, in Harmony.  (near St. Cloud).  Done great bass fishing there multiple times, but have never targeted Specks.  Mainly a saltwater guy, fishing Tampa Bay area most of my life.  

Any advice for a first time Speck trip?  I've read they will move to the brush, pads, grass near shore this time of year... Will be using jigs, beetle spinners, small plugs because I cant find anywhere to get live minnows....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Replies

• SC53SC53 Senior Member OviedoPosts: 675 Officer
    Will you be fishing from shore or a boat?
    If a boat, try slow trolling with beetle spins, jigs or road runners along edges and deep holes. About 1 mph.1/16-1/8 oz. Pink, orange, chartreuse or watermelon.
    If they are in the pads or brush, dip jigs on a slip bobber rig.

• ScotfinScotfin Jacksonville, FLPosts: 10 Greenhorn
    edited January 2019 #3
    I would also like to know how to catch crappie since I have no experience with them. The only spots i have access to are some public piers/docks on the St Johns river along with a spot or to that is by/under a bridge with some rocks. Because of limited distance (Im limited to what is ~40-50 minutes away) I would be fishing the Shands bridge northwards by the way.
  • tankardtankard Senior Member Posts: 7,030 Admiral
    Tip your beetle spin with a little piece of bacon fat, about the size of your pinky fingernail. They'll hold on longer.