St Johns south of Monroe to Harney

Anybody fishing there. Last time I went in the summer all the vegetation was tore up and gone from the hurricane and I read there was a big fish kill...has it recovered at all?

Replies

• RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 583 Officer
    All the regular "spots" still have fish.  Vegetation gone mostly due to STATE killing all that stuff so that boat-riders can access all water with out obstruction...BS.  Currently catching Shad, Specs, Cats and up to 3 lb Sunshines.  LMB are not like they were but they are there as well.
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,847 Moderator
    Wonder how the shad run will be this year ?
    "You'll get your weather"
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 789 Officer
    I could see them clearing the main river but all the way back in the slough's...that is just obscene. Hopefully Desantis will stop this crap
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 789 Officer
    Went to Monroe yesterday....the eel grass looks like it's wiped out..after all the effort to restore it!! I wonder if the hurricane floods did it or a by product of spraying?? Graph showed almost no grasses..we were able to catch a few 3-4lbers working shore/shallow pad lines even with the conditions yesterday..the fish "seem" to there..looked healthy so it was a good day overall..not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Running the river from Rt 46 the lack of vegetation is amazing. Big pad fields were totally wiped out..
  • SC53SC53 Posts: 433 Deckhand
    Grizzl, thanks for the report.
    I fish that area a lot.  Amazing how the pad fields have disappeared. They were there and healthy prior to that tropical depression we had last year but after it dumped all that rain, they disappeared. There was a massive fish kill at the Jolly Gator area off 46 as well. Tons of dead bass, all sizes. Gonna take awhile to recover from that. 
    On the eel grass, my guess would be a combination of both, storm and spraying but lean more toward the spraying.  I don’t know why more water would hurt it, you’d think it would help it. 
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,847 Moderator
    Wonder how the shad run will be ?
    "You'll get your weather"
  • SC53SC53 Posts: 433 Deckhand
    It’s started already. Not a lot of them just yet.