Team Cobia 12/29-30/18

micklej2micklej2 Posts: 64 Greenhorn
Fished back to back last two days of 2018 grouper season. Detailed report to come from Capt. Cobia Ken.

Leopard Shark (fought and broke off)

Replies

• jbsrqjbsrq Posts: 215 Deckhand
    Freaking stud mang. Well done! 
  • JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Nice haul
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,319 Officer
     Great report. Gag bite was on fire, too bad they shut it down............ 
     I believe the shark is a juvenile tiger.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,047 Moderator
    Nice way to wrap up the year, some good looking Gags.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 565 Officer
    drgibby said:
     Great report. Gag bite was on fire, too bad they shut it down............ 
     I believe the shark is a juvenile tiger.
    Yeah, that's a little tiger.  We don't get Leopards here in the gulf; the appearance of spots is probably because of the surface ripples breaking up the stripes.  We had a little tiger circle the boat in November at 90'.  From what I've heard, the juvies are relatively common this time of year.
  • micklej2micklej2 Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the Information. Are Tiger Sharks any good to eat?
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 565 Officer
    micklej2 said:
    Thanks for the Information. Are Tiger Sharks any good to eat?
    As far as I know, they are decent eating, but probably not worth the effort.  FYI, harvest of tiger sharks is prohibited in state waters.  Right now we're talking about spots in federal waters, but bringing it back to the ramp means coming back into state waters and if LEO sees the shark then you'll have to show you got it in federal waters and it could become a giant pain in the ****.  Lastly, harvesting a juvenile tiger shark would not be the best move conservation wise.  Tigers are one of the slow growing, slow reproducing, top of the food chain sharks that have been hit hardest by over fishing, or hit harder by their own inability to replace their own numbers quickly enough.  I'm not saying we can't harvest any sharks, but tigers would be a poor candidate.  Take home a nice blacktip or spinner; their populations are doing alright (locally) and are known to be very tasty.  Blacknose sharks, bonnetheads and atlantic sharpnose are also relatively abundant and tasty.
  • micklej2micklej2 Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Good to know. I appreciate the advice. I have had black tip before. Will try spinner the next time I have the chance.
    Tight Lines👍🏽