Kayak/Hybrid recommendations for big guy

Dunn_reelinDunn_reelin Central, FLPosts: 1 Greenhorn
Hello all, newb here.
I’m looking into my first kayak, and at 6’4” 350lb(hopefully 325 by summer) it’s been a little difficult finding weight ratings for me. Reall trying to avoid Hobie Pro Angler prices, but also want a safe, stable platform. 

Looking at Nucanoe frontier 12 as it is 41” wide with 650lb capacity. 
Any one bigger have expirience with this model?

any other brands I should look at?

Replies

• Android77Android77 Posts: 472 Deckhand
    Just get a PA and you won't regret it. The Extreme Kayak Fishing sailfish tournament is this weekend and if you go see the launch about 80% of the kayaks will be Hobies, there must be a reason it's that way and it's not marketing. They are the best all around for fishing.
  • PackerYakerPackerYaker Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Check out the W700 and S4 Wavewalk kayaks at www.wavewalk.com.  
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,670 Captain
    PA is not a good rough weather kayak.   If you do go to the Extreme Kayak Sailfish Tournament, you will note that not too many pro anglers make it out through a rough surf.  They are a comfortable kayak, and since you are big, I would look into finding a used one, rather than a new one of a less comfortable kayak.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 201 Deckhand
    edited January 10 #5
    Just make sure it is enough boat. I weigh 220 and got a kayak rated for 250 and with gear and me it wasn't a big enough boat. I ended up with an old town rated for 375 and that was about right