Red tide’ effect on this summers fishing vaca

Every June we book a house in Boca Grande for a week of fishing. Have done very well inshore with snook, reds, etc. 

Just got back from a 3 day trip to BG and the fishing was tough to say the least. Got some sheepshead, 2 juvenile reds, one grouper and lots of small snapper. 

Ive never fished BG during the winter so I don’t know if it’s just a different pattern during the winter and I’m just not doing it right. Was using live shrimp and fishing all the usual spots. 

My bigger question and concern is is this the effect of the red tide?  And will the after effects of the red tide (fish kill) effect fishing this coming June?

And if so, should I consider a trip further north where the red tide wasn’t as bad like Anna Maria island?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• nhkevnhkev Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    tough to say.   I fish the area every couple of months.  the fish that bite in the summer are somewhat different than what bites in the winter.  In the winter I usually target trout, sheepshead, whiting, black drum, snapper.  their habitat may change from season to season.   I was there a couple weeks ago after a cold front and a big storm.  all my regular hotspots were barren, zero fish activity.  luckily I found a deep hole that lit up my fishfinder with hundreds of fish and I had a bite on every cast within seconds, actually ran out of bait.  caught 8 species in all.  about 50 fish in an hour and a half.  but this was the only spot that produced.
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 691 Officer
    nhkev said:
    tough to say.   I fish the area every couple of months.  the fish that bite in the summer are somewhat different than what bites in the winter.  In the winter I usually target trout, sheepshead, whiting, black drum, snapper.  their habitat may change from season to season.   I was there a couple weeks ago after a cold front and a big storm.  all my regular hotspots were barren, zero fish activity.  luckily I found a deep hole that lit up my fishfinder with hundreds of fish and I had a bite on every cast within seconds, actually ran out of bait.  caught 8 species in all.  about 50 fish in an hour and a half.  but this was the only spot that produced.
    It is very tough to say but I personally am not expecting very much good fishing for a while. Maybe many years of recovery.  Also Anna Maria got whacked hard too.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,090 Captain
    Wintertime fishing is much different than summertime.  Also... the red tide has put a hurt on the fish population and we will most likely see the effects for a couple years or more.  

-Mag
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • sixstring09sixstring09 Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    I'd head to the Keys before I would head to Anna Maria.
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 607 Officer
    A bit north of there (I fish in and out of Venice mostly), but the winter bite on snapper, sheepshead, and snook has been just fine for me so far. I'd say you need to find some clear water and give it a shot from there, and probably check back on here to see what people are catching before you come. 
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • C DogC Dog Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the input. Gonna go ahead and book it. Kids said even if fishing wasn’t good they still want to go. Lots of great memories for us there. 

Im hoping it was just the winter pattern that I wasn’t that familiar with that was the reason for the tough bite. 

But I also know there is no way the red tide didn’t have at least some effect on the fishing population. Hopefully it was minimal. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 757 Officer
    Fishing patterns from summer and winter are on opposite spectrums. During winter, the fish inshore tend to push up into the rivers and creeks. You can still find some fish, but they are not as abundant as they would be during the summer months when the bait is thick around the passes. 
    I dont think anyone can definitively tell you we will or wont have red tide this year... Best of luck in your decision.

www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • RiverScoutRiverScout MidwestPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    I'm bumping this question hoping for additional insight..we have the same question however the two differences is that we anchor a lot of our trip on fishing (v. just beach play) and we would do most if not all our C&R fishing from walking the beaches in Sanibel in early summer.  Looking primarily for snook.  

Any sense of fishing expectations for the beach around Sanibel this season?  

Also, I recall the last three years we went, red tide actually started showing up subtly in late May early June...wondering if that is an expectation now with Lake O discharge?

Many thanks!
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,090 Captain
    If I were in your shoes I'd go somewhere else.  Why risk it?  Go down to the keys, you know it will be good there.  Then in a year or two if the red tide stops coming back as hard then come back to Sanibel (if you like it better than the Keys).  
    FWIW we still have some red tide lingering around... no fish kill to speak of right now so that's good and the water is clear.  Chances are it will only get worse though as summer comes... the billion dollar question is how much worse.
    We could have a beautiful summer, I guess you never know... but if I had to plan it out months in advance I'd be looking elsewhere.

We do a little staycation at "The Innlet" on Boca Grande for a long weekend in June every year... been doing it for a long time.  It's the highlight of my year.  This year we are going down to the Keys.

-Mag
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 620 Officer
    Heading to Amelia Island this summer after the disaster at Siesta Key last summer.   We did guys trip this past October to Sebastian Inlet and still dealt with Red Tide issues. Sad. 
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 607 Officer
    I'm bumping this question hoping for additional insight..we have the same question however the two differences is that we anchor a lot of our trip on fishing (v. just beach play) and we would do most if not all our C&R fishing from walking the beaches in Sanibel in early summer.  Looking primarily for snook.  

Any sense of fishing expectations for the beach around Sanibel this season?  

Also, I recall the last three years we went, red tide actually started showing up subtly in late May early June...wondering if that is an expectation now with Lake O discharge?

Many thanks!
    Just as an FYI, the Lake O discharge is a separate issue from the red tide. The discharge causes other sorts of algae blooms, the red tide causes aren't fully determined yet as far as I'm aware. 
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,045 Officer
    You can go further south and not have to go to the keys. The 10K islands did not have the red tide and its fishing awesome. The snook population has recovered great since the freeze of 2010(?). Every trip is numbers of reds, trout and snook. 

Jason :USA
  • RiverScoutRiverScout MidwestPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    Thanks everyone.  Would Marco Island be considered in the safer zone given its close proximity to 10k Islands?

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,045 Officer
    Thanks everyone.  Would Marco Island be considered in the safer zone given its close proximity to 10k Islands?

Yes! You can use ramps such as the ramps on marco or you will have direct access to Goodland from marco and be a bit closer to the actual 10k islands.
    Jason :USA
  • SergeSerge Posts: 74 Greenhorn
    Is it possible to rent a boat around Goodland/Naples that will allow you to venture further offshore than 3 to 5 miles? I have not been able to find one so far, love the area.
  • nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 266 Deckhand
    I live and fish out of Venice, FL. This particular batch of red tide has been around well over a year, so I would expect it to continue.

I fish offshore and we have had a difficult time even getting bait. One or two trips this winter, I cancelled due to a lack of bait.

If I was in your situation, I would move my vacation to July and the venue to the Crystal River area. Your children will thoroughly enjoy snorkeling for scallops and the inshore fishing is good.
    edited February 13 #18
    lI went to BG last week. I talked with a half dozen guys fishing from shore on or near the pass. Nobody was catching anything! Saw a lot of dead crabs while walking the beach. No other signs of life. The water did look clear though, so I don't know what was going on. 
  • idlerickidlerick Posts: 229 Deckhand
    The BG/Charlotte area was hit harder than we were further north, but I've been out on Sarasota Bay, and it's a complete dead zone, at least for flats species and bait fish. No trout, few macs and such. The only halfway positive reports I've heard involved bait and bridge pilings, neither of which is in my wheelhouse. Not even any cormorants or pelicans hanging around to steal your released fish. And the ramp had no herons or egrets waiting on handouts.
    Last year was bad, but this year is the worst I've seen. I'm afraid it'll be a while before things recover. 
    :)
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 3,858 Captain
    edited February 14 #20
    I plan on hitting Charlotte harbor in March, sounds like my expectations should be minimal. 

Oh well.  I have family there and it is the kids spring break, so I'm going either way.  On a side note, my father has been catching crevalle way up in the canals, which seems odd compared to previous years.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,251 Admiral
    Jacks normally hang out in the canals of PGI and Pt Charlotte each winter
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 3,858 Captain
    Good information, that was new for him.  But he recently retired and is still new to fishing that specific area.  He has been getting into some snook as well.