Red tide’ effect on this summers fishing vaca

Every June we book a house in Boca Grande for a week of fishing. Have done very well inshore with snook, reds, etc. 

Just got back from a 3 day trip to BG and the fishing was tough to say the least. Got some sheepshead, 2 juvenile reds, one grouper and lots of small snapper. 

Ive never fished BG during the winter so I don’t know if it’s just a different pattern during the winter and I’m just not doing it right. Was using live shrimp and fishing all the usual spots. 

My bigger question and concern is is this the effect of the red tide?  And will the after effects of the red tide (fish kill) effect fishing this coming June?

And if so, should I consider a trip further north where the red tide wasn’t as bad like Anna Maria island?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• nhkevnhkev Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    tough to say.   I fish the area every couple of months.  the fish that bite in the summer are somewhat different than what bites in the winter.  In the winter I usually target trout, sheepshead, whiting, black drum, snapper.  their habitat may change from season to season.   I was there a couple weeks ago after a cold front and a big storm.  all my regular hotspots were barren, zero fish activity.  luckily I found a deep hole that lit up my fishfinder with hundreds of fish and I had a bite on every cast within seconds, actually ran out of bait.  caught 8 species in all.  about 50 fish in an hour and a half.  but this was the only spot that produced.
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 632 Officer
    nhkev said:
    tough to say.   I fish the area every couple of months.  the fish that bite in the summer are somewhat different than what bites in the winter.  In the winter I usually target trout, sheepshead, whiting, black drum, snapper.  their habitat may change from season to season.   I was there a couple weeks ago after a cold front and a big storm.  all my regular hotspots were barren, zero fish activity.  luckily I found a deep hole that lit up my fishfinder with hundreds of fish and I had a bite on every cast within seconds, actually ran out of bait.  caught 8 species in all.  about 50 fish in an hour and a half.  but this was the only spot that produced.
    It is very tough to say but I personally am not expecting very much good fishing for a while. Maybe many years of recovery.  Also Anna Maria got whacked hard too.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,830 Captain
    Wintertime fishing is much different than summertime.  Also... the red tide has put a hurt on the fish population and we will most likely see the effects for a couple years or more.  

-Mag
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • sixstring09sixstring09 Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    I'd head to the Keys before I would head to Anna Maria.
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 556 Officer
    A bit north of there (I fish in and out of Venice mostly), but the winter bite on snapper, sheepshead, and snook has been just fine for me so far. I'd say you need to find some clear water and give it a shot from there, and probably check back on here to see what people are catching before you come. 
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • C DogC Dog Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the input. Gonna go ahead and book it. Kids said even if fishing wasn’t good they still want to go. Lots of great memories for us there. 

Im hoping it was just the winter pattern that I wasn’t that familiar with that was the reason for the tough bite. 

But I also know there is no way the red tide didn’t have at least some effect on the fishing population. Hopefully it was minimal. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 708 Officer
    Fishing patterns from summer and winter are on opposite spectrums. During winter, the fish inshore tend to push up into the rivers and creeks. You can still find some fish, but they are not as abundant as they would be during the summer months when the bait is thick around the passes. 
    I dont think anyone can definitively tell you we will or wont have red tide this year... Best of luck in your decision.

www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral