Tripletail fishing crab pot buoys - Video

Replies

• crazy tunacrazy tuna Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Nice video...I've been fishing tripletail for several years now. I've caught hundreds and have learned a ton about their behavior. In fact, I got a 24 incher yesterday. Take care...
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    Great vid.  
  • makobradmakobrad Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    tried the crab traps in 25 ft west of Anclote key.  No hook ups, saw 0.  Is there certain water temps/areas better than others?
  • HFFHFF Posts: 154 Deckhand
    I'm not a tripletail expert but they seem to be most associated with stone crab season and cooler moderate temps. I think some of them may venture further offshore in the summer, but there seems to be alway some around nearshore and the bay. Anybody else have some insight on these fish? Most people around here are looking for between fall and spring, or so I've heard.
  • backwatercolebackwatercole Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    Makobrad, there's another thread about TT on the BigBend forum and they say that the TT, while definitely sought during Stone Crab Season prefer a milder water temperature.  
  • crazy tunacrazy tuna Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    I've been TT fishing for several years now. Water temp and clarity are keys factors. I had an outing a few weeks ago where I saw over 100 fish. I typically will see a dozen or so. Sometimes they are close to shore...other times a few miles out. Wherever there are crab traps, TT will be there. However, they tend to bunch up. I always use live shrimp with a 1/0 circle hook.