Home Off Topic

Bad wreck

13»

Replies

• johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    I just got back from s safety meeting in Oklahoma. 
     Here is a dirty little secret you won’t here much about. I will probably get banned for this but here goes. 
     A sizable percentage of truck drivers today have been falsely licensed. Most are both legal and illegal immigrants. The issue is falsified license criteria. And the fact a lot of states look the other way when it comes to qualifications such as testing and language. 
     It’s not just small trucking companies but some megas do the same. All they want is meat in the seat, someone to get the truck from point A to B. 
     Keeping a safe and professional driver is getting hard to do.  Some of the nanny rules and regs are causing a lot of good drivers to either quit or go local(home every night). 
     Like a lot of industry today it is getting harder to find a good responsible driver who will take care of your equipment. 
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,513 AG

Keeping a safe and professional driver is getting hard to do.  
    Because of low pay. 

Skilled labor ain't cheap and cheap labor ain't skilled. 

Where's Jimmy Hoffa when ya need him?
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    Jimmy is under Giants stadium last I heard. 
     I don’t think(I may be wrong) 50k -75 K is bad money????
     And experienced drivers in the hazmat and oversized loads make more. 
     The low payed ones are with the big mega fleets and the fly by night companies. 
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,638 Admiral
    I just got back from s safety meeting in Oklahoma. 
     Here is a dirty little secret you won’t here much about. I will probably get banned for this but here goes. 
     A sizable percentage of truck drivers today have been falsely licensed. Most are both legal and illegal immigrants. The issue is falsified license criteria. And the fact a lot of states look the other way when it comes to qualifications such as testing and language. 
     It’s not just small trucking companies but some megas do the same. All they want is meat in the seat, someone to get the truck from point A to B. 
     Keeping a safe and professional driver is getting hard to do.  Some of the nanny rules and regs are causing a lot of good drivers to either quit or go local(home every night). 
     Like a lot of industry today it is getting harder to find a good responsible driver who will take care of your equipment. 
    How did R L Roberts make it work? Makes millions per day, didn't graduate high school and started on his own as a one man truck driver. He lives here in Ocala on a few hundred acres. His Ball Room alone has 20 tons of airconditioning.

Like my Dad always said, there are people making money and losing money in any profession.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,513 AG

The average pay for a Commercial Truck Driver is $19.40 per hour.

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Commercial_Truck_Driver/Hourly_Rate
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,958 Admiral
    What I read they make 50k.
    Gardawg said:

The average pay for a Commercial Truck Driver is $19.40 per hour.

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Commercial_Truck_Driver/Hourly_Rate
    Guess I'm overpaid???
    Most drivers are paid per mile. Some are paid percentage and even hourly. Also a lot of companies pay such things as demurrage, breakdown, washout, pump off/on, layover and per diem. Which all of that can add up.
     The transportation industry, rail, air and trucking really have no wage laws. And every part of the country and type of trucking is different, it's all about supply and demand.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,415 Captain
    What so those guys in Alaska make driving the ice roads?
    Gary S said:
    What so those guys in Alaska make driving the ice roads?
    Don’t know but a good question. 
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,958 Admiral
    I googled it. One site said $80k to $120k. For just a few months work.