Home Off Topic

Bad wreck

Replies

• johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    tankard said:

Word on the street is multiple witnesses report the semi driver aggressively cut off the other car, sending them both through the guard rail.

So, the truck driver was at fault. Surprise effing surprise.

They drive like @$$ h o l e s. It should be legal to shoot at them.

What makes you think that? 
    FMCSA has facts that disputes you. 
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    Uhhh...FHP says the truck was at fault. Take it up with them.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,455 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #34
    Where is the NTSB when you need them?
    tankard said:
    Depends on what at fault is. The car may have been hanging out in a blind spot? I doubt that the truck deliberately hit the car. 
     I wish you and others could ride in a truck for a few days, it will open your eyes. 
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,638 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #36
    There are no blind spots on a commercial truck these days. Mirrors and cameras all around.

I will say they hot rod, but they are good drivers.

Not to say road rage didnt come into the picture. On the other hand, I have no clue how a side collision with a car  could effect a semi to lose control and shoot thru the guard rail. Doesn't seem possible. Heck my F 350 would seem hard to be altered by a car. A semi would squash a car and not even feel it. So to speak.

Regardless, looks like they need taller guard rails. Never did get that.

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    AC Man said:
    There are no blind spots on a commercial truck these days. Mirrors and cameras all around.

Not to say road rage didnt come into the picture. On the other hand, I have no clue how a side collision with a car  could effect a semi to lose control and shoot thru the guard rail. Doesn't seem possible. Heck my F 350 would seem hard to be altered by a car. A semi would squash a car and not even feel it. So to speak.

Man, that F350 must be awesome, not only is it impervious to carjackers, but to smaller automobiles also.... :)
    You should have been here yesterday
  • hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,440 Captain
    AC Man said:

IF!!! the car hit his front bumper, said bumper could push back into front tire causing to cut into said tire.
    Immediate blowout would cause said semi to veer left. 

just a possible scenario-the car attempted to move to center lane too soon

I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
    I'm just saying two of my best friends drive 18 wheelers and I have been with them. Takes a hell of a impact to alter their path. I will say when they get out of shape, it is a handful and not usually a good ending.
    AC Man said:

Man, that F350 must be awesome, not only is it impervious to carjackers, but to smaller automobiles also.... :)
    And you would be correct LOL. Had a woman merge into my lane many many moons ago into my utility body dually at the time. I never felt a thing, she hit me and lost control and spun off the road. Probabably over reacted.
    AC Man said:

No blind spots?? Are you serious?
    As I said, I wish you could ride along with me for a few days. 
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,513 AG
    AC Man said:

It's a da mm hard and dangerous job and thanks to all the truckers who make life so convenient for the rest of us … I thought I was a good driver until I tried my hand at an 18 wheeler … whew, I was sweating the entire time.  Never tried it again either. 
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    edited January 2019 #43
    AC Man said:

Why blind spots with all the mirrors and cameras of today? This isin't the 70's.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,974 Admiral
    After all those people driving cars are so kind an courteous on the roads, yea right.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    tankard said:
    Depends on what at fault is. The car may have been hanging out in a blind spot? I doubt that the truck deliberately hit the car. 
     I wish you and others could ride in a truck for a few days, it will open your eyes. 
    So if someone happens to be in your blind spot it's their fault if they get hit?
    do you drive tankers by chance?
    AC Man said:
    AC Man said:

Why blind spots with all the mirrors and cameras of today? This isin't the 70's.
    Cameras? They require a screen, you keep your eyes outside the cab. 
     It’s real simple, don’t hang out near a truck. If your going to pass, get around it. And if you see a truck getting ready to do a lane change, please don’t floor it to get around the truck. 
    tankard said:
    So if someone happens to be in your blind spot it's their fault if they get hit?
    do you drive tankers by chance?
    It depends. 
     No, I drive and own a few trucks that pull refrigerated. 
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 10,616 Moderator
    edited January 2019 #48
    AC Man said:
    AC Man said:

Not to say road rage didn't come into the picture. On the other hand, I have no clue how a side collision with a car  could effect a semi to lose control and shoot thru the guard rail. Doesn't seem possible. Heck my F 350 would seem hard to be altered by a car. A semi would squash a car and not even feel it. So to speak.

Cameras? They require a screen, you keep your eyes outside the cab. 
     It’s real simple, don’t hang out near a truck. If your going to pass, get around it. And if you see a truck getting ready to do a lane change, please don’t floor it to get around the truck. 
    The above.

I can maneuver my 4 wheeler a lot easier and quicker than an 18 wheeler. And while there are a-holes in cars and trucks, I always keep in mind that you're probably going to lose if you take on a semi in your car. Just show some respect and common sense.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,513 AG
    surfman said:
    After all those people driving cars are so kind an courteous on the roads, yea right.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Gardawg said:
    surfman said:

If that was ac mans f350, the semi would have exploded on impact without a scratch to the ford
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    Did Mustang get banned of driven away, is he not a truck driver.
    Yes he got banned a few days before John showed up
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 12,222 AG
    Sooo? What you saying?
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 6,194 Admiral
    Driver of Semi, Steve Holland didn’t have the best of driving records. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,347 Admiral
    Driver of the Chevy Truck will never have a Driving Record again.
    Give them room and keep out of their way...best you can do.
    They are Professional Drivers and not Buffy on the cell phone headed to the Swim Park.
    I like to follow behind them a good ways back, kinda let them Clear the Trail so to speak.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    edited January 2019 #56
    I grew up riding motorcycles 46 years ago, the last thing I will ever do is ride in Truckers blind-spot or any other vehicle for that matter, and my head was always on a swivel. I drive the same way today whether I am in my truck or motorcycle. I give all cars trucks plenty of room. I am just saying the mirrors and cameras makes a world of difference on my pick up truck today. I would think the pro's would have the best safety, technology possible when it comes to blind spot mirrors and cameras.  Not that I trust it.
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    edited January 2019 #57
    Ridiculous, soon there will be no one left. I guess that's their business model. 
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,301 Captain
    Driver of the Chevy Truck will never have a Driving Record again.
    Give them room and keep out of their way...best you can do.
    They are Professional Drivers and not Buffy on the cell phone headed to the Swim Park.
    I like to follow behind them a good ways back, kinda let them Clear the Trail so to speak.
    When US27 in Palm Beach County was two lanes, I always tucked in behind a semi after dusk, didn't matter the speed. The same way with Crome and US 1 going to/from the Keys.

It might take a bit longer, but you will get there.
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,964 Captain
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral

But the professional semi drivers are never at fault! That's what almost everyone here tells me!

It's those pesky passenger vehicles that won't get the hell out of the way!

• Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,936 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #61
    Accidents are up 41% this year on I-95 in Martin County.

I used to travel to Gainesville, Tampa, Miami and the Keys a lot. I like to stay local every weekend these days.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events