Home Off Topic

Bad wreck

johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain

Replies

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    Heard a gas truck was involved. 

Yikes.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,972 Admiral
    Heard a van full of kids, just horrible.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,430 Captain
    News earlier said 7 dead, 5 of which were children from around 8yo through teenagers. The 2 adults were the drivers of the two semis. Sucks all the way around.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral

I've said it before and I'll say it again, EVERY fatal accident on that stretch for the past several years has involved at least one semi.

I try to avoid it, nothing but a gauntlet of tractor-trailers.

• Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,935 Admiral
    90 in the left lane is mandatory around there.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
    There are a lot of trucks on that road, probably every third vehicle.
    Tight Lines, Steve

And that's in the daytime.

After about 9 it's usually at least 90% semis.

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,262 Captain
    I would agree with that. I get passed every day on the way to and from work by people driving around 90, and weaving in and out of traffic. Most truck drivers seldom drive much over the speed limit and are very professional. 
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,920 Admiral
    I got run off the road by a semi on I-4 in Orlando.  I was driving on old ryder box truck.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,679 Admiral
    I'm sure you guys are like me....I see people staring at their cell phones and driving everywhere. 
    I'm guessing.... 30-40% of drivers have a phone in one hand while driving.
    You can tell when you get behind someone who is using a cell phone. They are weaving, tapping the brakes, driving off the pavement or out of their lane, it's nuts. 
    I'm not saying that's what happened here but it would not surprise me at all.

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    I do the Ft Lauderdale- Tallahassee round trip at least 4 times a year,soon as I exit 75 in Ocala  for Alt 27 my blood pressure drops and I can enjoy the drive. Used to be road trips were something I looked forward to. 
    Prayers said for the victims and families.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,316 Admiral
    I do the I 75 to Brooksville 10 times a year. 
    When we get on 75 my Spanish bride does the sigh of the Cross..every time.
    When we jump on 19 up to Perry it's nothing but a relaxing time.
    I agree with some of the above posters..It's the Morons in the cars that will kill you , Not the Semi's.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    The overwhelming majority of trucks are governed between 65 and 70 mph. Mostly for insurance purposes but also to avoid the blame game of speeding. My trucks are all set at 70mph. I have a couple of them set at 75 mph but those drivers all have over 3 million miles of safe driving.  
     Mindbusines is correct, the distractions are the main cause of accidents. And I’m sure that it was a determining cause here. 
    In GA It's a $350 fine you get caught with a cell phone driving now.  They started that last July.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,497 Officer
    edited January 2019 #18

The mayhem started when a sedan and a semi going north smashed into one another. Then the semi lost control and both the sedan and the semi went THROUGH the guard rail and took out the Van and another semi going south; and the two semi's burst into flames... Nobody in the sedan died.

Giimoozaabi
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 326 Deckhand
    Very sad accident and who really was to blame may never be known. I feel many semi drivers are hard working and have a tough job. I see people going slow in the middle lane that block them all the time and these people will not pull to the right lane. There seems to be more traffic on I-75 and less FHP. Some things are beyond my understanding. While driving on I-4 I look over and the lady next to me had her elbows on the wheel while doing makeup and talking on the phone. My daughter in the rear set saw it and warned me to get away from her. 
    The stretch between Plant City & Tampa on I-4 use to be 1 of the deadliest in FL.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,777 AG
    I believe I roadways have become too crowded.  In many places, there is not enough room for cars and semis hauling along at high speed on three lines of travel and in some places, like the Florida Turnpike, two lanes. 

Road construction cannot get up with the demand for more space.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • saltyreefersaltyreefer Posts: 249 Deckhand
    Hell...at 5:30 in the morning on my way to work people are tailgating me (with hardly no traffic on the road) on a 45 mph 4 lane thru town!! i95 here in Melbourne has gotten crowded too. You really need to be a defensive driver with all the clueless out there. I WILL NOT be in any vehicles blind spot!!!! Unfortunately I don't see it getting any better. 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,292 Captain
    Last Wednesday morning at 3:00AM me and a buddy we’re heading to go duck hunting pulling my boat about 2 miles south of Citra on 441 and had a wrong way driver in a Dodge Charger miss us by a few feet. We slammed on the brakes and swerved at the last second. I called FHP. Dude was flying and kept on going. It can happen anywhere. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 13,270 AG
    I have I seen the news in a few days.  Is it still a homicide investigation?

Rest in Peace Captain Todd

stc1993 said:
    The stretch between Plant City & Tampa on I-4 use to be 1 of the deadliest in FL.
    Something like a dead body every 1.5 mile between Tampa and Orlando.
    Tight Lines, Steve

mplspug said:
    I have I seen the news in a few days.  Is it still a homicide investigation?
    Anytime there are fatalities there is a investigation. 
    Very sad accident and who really was to blame may never be known. I feel many semi drivers are hard working and have a tough job. I see people going slow in the middle lane that block them all the time and these people will not pull to the right lane. There seems to be more traffic on I-75 and less FHP. Some things are beyond my understanding. While driving on I-4 I look over and the lady next to me had her elbows on the wheel while doing makeup and talking on the phone. My daughter in the rear set saw it and warned me to get away from her. 
    You have a smart daughter. 
    I have felt for a long time that today’s automobiles are far more dangerous than those of 20+ years ago. 
     To many distractions and even a low end automobile is very quiet. My old 1984 pickup would let you know your were doing80, my 2018 you don’t even know it till you look at the speedometer. 
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,455 AG
    stc1993 said:
    In GA It's a $350 fine you get caught with a cell phone driving now.  They started that last July.
    Seeing as how distracted driving w/a phone is more dangerous than drunk driving, the penalty should be at a minimum 2 months of probation, minimum fine of $300 plus court costs and surcharges, between 1 - 10 days in jail, 40 hours of community service, phone addiction counseling, attendance of driving school that addresses phone/text addicts, attendance of  distracted driver's victim impact panel and suspension of driver's license.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.

Word on the street is multiple witnesses report the semi driver aggressively cut off the other car, sending them both through the guard rail.

So, the truck driver was at fault. Surprise effing surprise.

They drive like @$$ h o l e s. It should be legal to shoot at them.

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,455 AG
    Lol

I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    edited January 2019 #31
    stc1993 said:
    Seeing as how distracted driving w/a phone is more dangerous than drunk driving, the penalty should be at a minimum 2 months of probation, minimum fine of $300 plus court costs and surcharges, between 1 - 10 days in jail, 40 hours of community service, phone addiction counseling, attendance of driving school that addresses phone/text addicts, attendance of  distracted driver's victim impact panel and suspension of driver's license.
    That's 1st offense 2nd offense is $550 fine I believe. I just looked it up I must have read wrong somewhere it's only $50 fine 1st offense & goes up by $50 each offense until 3rd conviction so I guess $150 max fine.  I was going by what I read last July.