Accurate Tern Reels and More...

tarponbro1tarponbro1 jacksonvillePosts: 194 Deckhand
I ordered an Accurate Tern 500 (low gear ratio) reel from American Legacy Fishing this morning and as a reward for registering with them they gave me 10% off on the reel PLUS another $10.00 so I got the reel for $259.95. That's $40.00 off the suggested retail price for the reel. If you need some equipment at a good price you might want to check their website out. I'm glad I did, for sure.

Replies

• tarponbro1tarponbro1 jacksonvillePosts: 194 Deckhand
    I just got my Tern 500 today. It looks and feels great and it's very smooth. When you reel in line it's a little noisy but I'm not worried about it. It does come with the posts to attach a reel clamp installed. I don't think I need to have the reel clamps on it and I'm going to contact Accurate to see if those can be easily removed. It seems to me this will be a very good reel. Now I just have to catch some fish on it!!
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 890 Officer
    I wouldn’t consider taking them off. They are there for a reason.

Regards.

Greg
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,499 Captain
    i am having trouble w/ the handles failing on my accurates. have been thru 2. i am also having trouble w/ the 2-speed shifter sticking (had to send one in and the other does not work , now and will have 2 b sent in). i noticed the other day at lower keys tackle, there were 5 replacement handles in the case- seems odd 2 me why they would be there1 unless handle failure is common. i bought one and replaced the bad one i have (as opposed to sending it ot kalifornia and waiting for 6 wks+ to get it back); i had to use an angle grinder w. a diamond blade to get the old one off as it did not move and the screws stripped out. put the new one on(no instructions inc.). that is my story. when my acc. fail, i ma going to penn fathom lever's=1/2 the price+500% better customer service. sincerely, 200 days+ yr on water, Capt. harlan
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harlan, I'm looking to buy a Penn Fathom 2 speed lever drag reel for another rod I own, or as a backup for my Yankee Capts. trip that I should be booking by the end of March. You can get good deals on new Fathoms on EBay, as much as $100 off the retail price. BTW, the retail price of an accurate Tern and a Penn Fathom lever drag 2 speed are basically the same. The Penn Fathom star drag is less expensive, though. I called Accurate and they told me I could unscrew the posts for the reel clamp. I had to use vise grips to get the posts/pillars loose but they're now off and I can reinstall them if I think I need them. I've never needed to use reel clamps on rods except on heavy duty offshore trolling equipment.
    if u r going on gregs boat:  bring 2 in case u break one and follow his list of tackle for the trip
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    BIG WAHOO
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,036 Officer
    I would heed what Greg and Piner_wahoo have said.  I have not gone wrong following their advice yet.
    Xaf said:
    I would heed what Greg and Piner_wahoo have said.  I have not gone wrong following their advice yet.
    Hmmm....

One would think after doing this for 32 years..........  
  • InstaGatorInstaGator Posts: 149 Deckhand
    Dang I just bought a tern 500 for a YC trip. If it craps out on me I am royally going to be PO’d.  As best I can tell the Tern 500 is the same as a Valiant 500 except of course for the star vs lever drag option.  I try to buy AMERICAN so if this reel craps out I will have to go with one of the Japanese reels.
    order a spare handle and take it w/ u or brink a fathom loaded w/ line as a back-up
    BIG WAHOO
    InstaGator, when are you going on your next trip? Also, who did you buy the tern from?
    On another note, I recently started a part time job, so I may be trying to go in May.
    If the Accurate Valiant reel is recommended for slow pitch fishing on the Yankee Capts, why shouldn't the Tern be as good quality of a reel?  I it because the reel just became available this fall or what doesn't make it a good reel? The handle. My reels will be fished 15 days  year if I'm lucky, not 200 days.
    edited January 12 #13
    Looking to add more dates for these trips. The ones on the schedule are filling up. FYI.

Greg
    Let's see, I have  an Accurate Tern 500, a Shimano Torium 16HGAL and will have  either a Shimano Torium 30 PGA, a Penn Fathom 30 2 speed lever drag or a Penn Fathom 40n single speed (4.8:1 gear ratio) to go on the trip with me. Will that be enough? I have two bottom rods, a 7&1/2 footer and an 8 footer and I will have a jigging rod for the Torium 16 HGAL and also a spin rod I can use for jigging, Will I need any other rods and reels?
    Let's see, I have  an Accurate Tern 500, a Shimano Torium 16HGAL and will have  either a Shimano Torium 30 PGA, a Penn Fathom 30 2 speed lever drag or a Penn Fathom 40n single speed (4.8:1 gear ratio) to go on the trip with me. Will that be enough? I have two bottom rods, a 7&1/2 footer and an 8 footer and I will have a jigging rod for the Torium 16 HGAL and also a spin rod I can use for jigging, Will I need any other rods and reels?
    God no!

Greg
    Thanks Greg!! If I finish the trip without any working tackle, either the fishing kicked **** or I had a rod or two stolen from me (a miracle the bad way!!)!! I love your response. Hope to see  you soon!!
    Remember most of the catch is muttons, red grouper or black fins.

Not exactly tackle busters?

Greg
    Yup.
    Tarpon bro, I am not sure when my nex trip will be.  I was hoping for a march, June,sept trip this year but work/family activities seem to keep me from nailing down a date.  I should have a better idea towards the end of feb what i should be able to schedule.  I like to book my trips as far in advance as possible but I may not be able to do it for the next trip, we will see.  As far as your rod/reel list goes you have plenty but I would personally pare it down to 2-3 myself.  All of my future trips will focus on jigging with limited bait fishing just o get a little rest from Jigging.  The jigging out performs bait fishing by a significant margin, in my limited experience.

as far as the tern reel is concerned i do not know why there should be a problem with the handle.  It looks like to external components, frame, spool, handle are the same as a valient, this would make sense from a manufacturing perspective, with the difference between the 2 being the internal drag system primarily.

The one question i will have to inquire about with Greg on the YC is the red grouper season closing and when will it be open for the PR lite trip?  I thought I heard some where it is closed thru May of this year which if true may make me reconsider a YC PR lite trip while the season is closed.  Red grouper was the predominant grouper caught of the PR lite trip I went on this past year.

good luck on your trip and perhaps we will be on the same trip this year.
    The grouper closure you speak about is in the South Atlantic. That’s a long way from where we fish on the Pulley & Gulf of Mexico trips.

Greg
    Thanks Capt.  Relieved 
    the bearings shatter on the handles of my BV500n's
    BIG WAHOO
  • TONY_YNOTTONY_YNOT Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    The grouper closure you speak about is in the South Atlantic. That’s a long way from where we fish on the Pulley & Gulf of Mexico trips.

Greg

Are the Halfway Ledge and Tortugas trips affected by the Grouper closing?

Gags are closed till 6/1. However we see so few of them it really isn’t a issue.

Greg

• privateer19privateer19 Posts: 410 Deckhand
    When i started going on these trip i bought the daiwa star drag saltist that Greg recommended still is the first thing i grab when going......