Home Off Topic

Pool going in the back yard

PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,464 AG
They are hopefully spraying the gunnite today or tomorrow. Anything I should be aware of during the process? Passed the bond and return inspections last week. Not going to be a huge pool, but a chill pool< 14 x 28, 13,000 gallons 5 foot 5 deep( so swts can stand on her tippy toes and not drown) bench all the way around, palm beach cap rock water fall( thats the indent in the back side, they put the water fall in the pool so when it leaks like they all do, it will leak into the pool, 4 color changing LED lights ( I just had to) sun shelf with an umbrella holder and a table in the deep end with an umbrella holder as well.
I got a great deal on a heater/chiller since Im in the biz.
First pool Ive ever built, the guy is a good friend of mine and a reputable builder in Palm Beach county, check him out.
https://www.facebook.com/cspooldesigns/

Replies

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral

Sweet!

Did you hit the water table or has it been raining?

I've had a couple big gunite pools put in for developments. They are expensive. 

When it comes to a home pool I'm planning on going with fiberglass because I'm cheap and I can put it in myself. 

Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,464 AG
    water table was at like 3 feet! Pump running constantly flooded us out a bit too! 
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,286 Captain
    edited January 2019 #4
    Fins, the water table in SE Fl is never very far down. I seldom ever hooked up a sewer on a new house where we weren’t in the water.  Most of them are no more than 4-41/2’.

pools looking good, Brian. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,944 AG
    so, buttons pool is bigger than yours?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,795 AG
    You will love that water chiller in August and September!
    Vote for the other candidate
    ANUMBER1 said:
    so, buttons pool is bigger than yours?
    its not the size that matters...
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,687 Admiral
    Polar said:
    its not the size that matters...
    Said no honest woman EVER!  :disappointed:

Enjoy the pool! 
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,347 Admiral
    I just dug a Pond...
    No maintence , No Pond Service , just Bluegills and Bass. Swim often.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,638 Admiral
    Congrats. 14 x 28 Is a good size pool these days, not small at all.

We had our pool put in 28 years ago. I was against it from the get go because had a pool al my life growing up in Lauderdale and been there done that.

I was wrong.Best decision we, uh, the wife ever made. The atmosphere it provides and the waterfall is all worth it.

We went with the standard 15 x 30 back in the day and the pool builder said in 2000 that was above average. 14 x 28 is plenty big.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,974 Admiral
    I think I'd change the water.  :p
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    still no gunnite. Im about to unleash swts upon him! 
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    How much will your homeowners insurance go up?
    Polar said:
    still no gunnite. Im about to unleash swts upon him! 
    How much will your homeowners insurance go up?

That depends if swts just hurts him real bad or kills him.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
    gunnite truck broke, it must have been a chevy. And Im not sure on the insurance? Ill find out 
    What brand heater and what distributor? I need to replace mine this month. All of my distributors up here quit selling them.
    Swts making sure Polar keeps the pool to her liking.

Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,880 Captain
    Tarpon65 said:

That's funny right there !!!
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
    edited January 2019 #19
    Tarpon65 said:

Is that a still from an adult film?

• YnotjaxYnotjax Posts: 386 Deckhand
    You you have to love the flip flops on polar. Must be a Florida boy
    GA Fin said:
    Tarpon65 said:

Is that a still from an adult film?
    Yes, would you like me to tell you what that miniature R2D2 is used for? It explains why Polar walks funny for several weeks afterwards. :D  

Holy smokes. I stopped by a buddies house under construction yesterday and he was having a pool like Polar's put in(maybe a bit smaller). It was ready for plaster as the gunnite and tile at the waterline were in. He said it would have a 4' concrete deck around it.

I had to ask how much it cost. $58,000! Heck no. Heck to the no. No dang way.

The old lady wants a pool. She'll get a fiberglass pool(that I'll install myself) and like it.

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 34,337 AG
    $58,000 is insane, Back in the mid 90s I had a house built and the wife wanted a pool. We put in a 15' x 40' with a patio and screened enclosure with solar heater for about $18,000. I can't believe they have more than tripled in price since then. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,440 Captain
    A pool is a hole in the yard you pour money into
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,958 Admiral
    My stepson had a small pool put in about 10 yrs ago.

I think his concrete deck is 5' wide all the way around.  His was $27k.
    hatcity said:
    A pool is a hole in the yard you pour money into
    Our's came with the house we purchased back in 2000.  I do my own weekly maintenance and chemicals don't cost that much.  I did have to put in a new pump/motor this year, but that was only $350.00 or so for the parts.  To me, it's worth every penny as I'm in every night before bed, no matter the outside temp, and no it's not heated.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 12,225 AG
    edited January 2019 #27
    We put in a 16x28 lined pool with fiberglass walls and vermiculite (?) bottom a few years ago for about 24k. Liners need to be replaced about every 7 years or so at about 3k$ 
       I like it, but Mr Hat is right. It’s a bit like my boat, with opposing uses.
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,963 Captain
    The Back yard is a good choice to build a pool.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 12,225 AG
    MACD said:
    The Back yard is a good choice to build a pool.
    You know what? That sounds like sage advice.
    In 2000 our custom 15 x30 pool and deck was 20k with waterfall, and all options.like pool level, and salt chlorinated. 

Here is the kicker. In 1969 my parents paid $3000 for a screened in 15 x 30 pool. On their new home..

Just showes how prices have increased.

were in it for 36k. And sorry I didnt get back to you ac, installing a gulfstream 125,000 btu heat cool. Its by far the best heater with the least amount of service calls and my guys say they are nice to work on. Lifetime heat exchanger warranty, 10 on compressor, 3 years on labor and all parts.