Home Off Topic

Sausage Making

2»

Replies

• HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    also, facebook "the salt cured pig"  That group will give you everything you need to know
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    Resinhead said:
    It disassembles pretty quick and cleans up. The stomper is notched to grab the auger pin to help clean.

A lot easier than my old hand crank.
    I like that one and it's on sale. More capacity than I'll ever need but I'd rather have too much than not enough.
    Same here. Been very happy with it. No issues. I don't make sausage with it but I grind alot of meat.
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,681 Captain
    These guys have it covered pretty well. You can always ride up to Moonshine Hill for our gig and we'll help you out.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,513 AG
    Something went wrong with the sausage rolls ???

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,347 Admiral
    Perfect …
    Some for Dipping , Some for Slicing...winning...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • lilwoodylilwoody Posts: 1,139 Officer
    Ok here's my Tuskin/Polish sausage hybrid receipt.
    Since I figure to you aren't using bear, deer and wild hog (the ratio is 40/40/20 if you are). I'd say a 50/50 pork shoulder, beef chuck roast would do. Not using game I'll forgo the olive oil butter and extra fat.
     I add. I also will scale down the the 12-pound recipe to 6 pounds.
    3 pounds each cubed pork shoulder and chuck roast.
    2 tbs garlic and onion powder
    1 tbs fresh ground black pepper
    1 tsp each nutmeg and allspice
    1/2 cup milk powder.
    1 tbs each of salt and brown sugar if you are not cold smoking.
    If you are cold smoking. 2 tbs of Mortan, Tender Quick or you can make your own much cheaper than what you buy online. I have had zero luck finding it in any store, anywhere. All it is is 50 grams each of salt, brown sugar and 6.5 grams of sodium nitrate (salt Peter). Do not overuse the tender quick.
    Combine all the dry ingredients then toss them with the meat in a large bowl. Let them rest overnight. I use to use a meat grinder but now use my wife's high powered food processor then stuff in casings. Smoke if you want. I like to cold smoke for 6 to 8 hours then a 30-minute dunk in 160-degree water and dry for 1 hour before vac seal and freeze.

"Those who will trade freedom for security will have neither".
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,687 Admiral
    Woody, thanks.  Wife has accumulated a few Polish and Italian recipes from her family as well.  I hope to purchase the equipment this weekend.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,513 AG
    The word botulism  derives from the Latin botulus , meaning sausage.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,974 Admiral
    From what I hear you don't want to see it being made.  :D

I was at a meat packing company once doing some work for them on their boiled ham sandwich slices line. Interesting to see how they do it in the factory. I like watching the how it's made shows.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 8,046 Admiral
    I also started with a hand grinder as well, but now use a Kitchen Aid mixer with a grinder attachment and a sausage attachment. I make gator, hog and deer sausage two ta three times a year....literally do 125-150 lbs of sausage a year for my spring party and fall party plus grind meat for home made ravioli's throughout the year. I've had zero issues with it and have had it for probably about 6-7 years.

That's what I use. The Kitchen Aid is a multi tasker. I grind meats and conch and my wife makes cakes with it. 
    Amazing the amount of attachments they make for those things.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 990 Officer
    Lots of info and help here- sausage forum-   https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/sausage.130/

Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 10,616 Moderator
    These guys have it covered pretty well. You can always ride up to Moonshine Hill for our gig and we'll help you out.
    If any of y'all have the time you could learn a lot about sausage making by accepting BIL's invitation. They do this every year and heaven only knows how many thousands of pounds sausage they have ground.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,958 Admiral
    I've been wanting to go for yrs.  I probably don't live but 10 miles or so from there.
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,681 Captain
    Ya'll come on out if ya can. Always a good time had by alll