Home Off Topic

Sausage Making

Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,687 Admiral
My MIL's brother passed about a year ago and he use to make Polish sausage, as well as other types, for the family multiple times a year.  No-one has really picked up the slack and my MIL was complaining at Christmas breakfast that the local German butcher did not make the Polish sausage as good as her brother.  She has the recipe, but I have never made sausage before and will have to buy the equipment (grinder, stuffer, etc.).  If I make a minimum of 10-12 lbs per batch but could be around 20 lbs., what would be the bare minimum investment I would have to make as far as equipment?  Anything to look out for or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway

Replies

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,958 Admiral
    Brotherinlaw on the northwest forum is a sausage maker.  He could tell you everything you need to know.
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,687 Admiral
    stc1993 said:
    Brotherinlaw on the northwest forum is a sausage maker.  He could tell you everything you need to know.
    Thanks
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 34,337 AG
    Do you have a local butcher that would grind the pork for you if you bought it from them? That is what I would do instead of buying a grinder.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• dave44dave44 Posts: 12,222 AG
    Thank god this is really about sausage! 
       My grandad and grandmother always made about 25 pounds when we would get together and slaughter a beef and a hog.
       Best sausage ever, she said she just put pepper and salt and sage in it, and then put it in the smoker shed. I’ve never been able to duplicate it though.
    cadman said:
    Do you have a local butcher that would grind the pork for you if you bought it from them? That is what I would do instead of buying a grinder.
    My local butcher makes their own sausage (Breakfast, Italian, Bratwurst, etc.) and would probably grind it for me as I've been purchasing from them for nearly two decades.  I don't mind investing a little money in equipment to give this a shot.  I'm seeing 400-500 watt grinder/stuffers on Amazon for $60-$75 and then up from there.  I just don't know if the 400-500 watt would be enough to do the job.  
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,795 AG
    Vote for the other candidate
    I didn't know they were that cheap. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I didn't know they were that cheap. 

Mini Mart Magnate

Mister-Jr said:
    Maybe I'll stop in next week when I'm over there.  Family in North Palm use to by from a place called Charlie's up near   
    PGA and Military, but they closed down a while back.

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,347 Admiral
    I started with a Hand Grinder....
    Got a Cabela's $ 150 model now and it'll grind your arm off. 
    You can't cut meat fast enough to keep up with me grinding. Hand Grinder a 12 pack and some meat cutting company and you can put a lot of meat out. Keep a couple  medium size Tubs close by for the mixing and meats .
    I 'd  do a minimum of 30 pounds ..you already got everything out and dirty..go for it.
    Take notes of your final product quality and next time you'll get better...
    LEM,S has tons of good seasoning mixes. Me and my Hunting Pards do everything from Prosutto Ham to Breakfast patties.

Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    I also started with a hand grinder as well, but now use a Kitchen Aid mixer with a grinder attachment and a sausage attachment. I make gator, hog and deer sausage two ta three times a year....literally do 125-150 lbs of sausage a year for my spring party and fall party plus grind meat for home made ravioli's throughout the year. I've had zero issues with it and have had it for probably about 6-7 years.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    I also started with a hand grinder as well, but now use a Kitchen Aid mixer with a grinder attachment and a sausage attachment. I make gator, hog and deer sausage two ta three times a year....literally do 125-150 lbs of sausage a year for my spring party and fall party plus grind meat for home made ravioli's throughout the year. I've had zero issues with it and have had it for probably about 6-7 years.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,717 Admiral
    You can't cut meat fast enough to keep up with me grinding. Hand Grinder a 12 pack and some meat cutting company and you can put a lot of meat out. Keep a couple  medium size Tubs close by for the mixing and meats .
    I 'd  do a minimum of 30 pounds ..you already got everything out and dirty..go for it.
    LEM,S has tons of good seasoning mixes. Me and my Hunting Pards do everything from Prosutto Ham to Breakfast patties.

He needs to know the watt rating of your machine. It has to be on your grinder somewhere.
    Can you check it without a bunch of hassle?
    I would like to know.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    Tarpon65 said:
    cadman said:
    My local butcher makes their own sausage (Breakfast, Italian, Bratwurst, etc.) and would probably grind it for me as I've been purchasing from them for nearly two decades.  I don't mind investing a little money in equipment to give this a shot.  I'm seeing 400-500 watt grinder/stuffers on Amazon for $60-$75 and then up from there.  I just don't know if the 400-500 watt would be enough to do the job.  
    I have a hand grinder too. I would think 4 amps is kind of weak but I really can't say what the reduction gear might produce in terms of torque and speed. I know that some cuts might require more torque than others.

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    I started with a Cabelas hand crank that weighed about 30 lbs. I attached it to a 2x12 and would clamp that to the counter top to keep it in place. Screw that. Got rid of that years ago and got I a Weston Butcher #22 grinder. I grind a lot of beef and venison. It has never let me down. Just don't wear long sleeves while using.

He needs to know the watt rating of your machine. It has to be on your grinder somewhere.
    Can you check it without a bunch of hassle?
    I would like to know.
    It's at my Camp 3 hours drive away...sorry. Ain't that big but works fine.
    edited January 2019 #19
     does it look like the one in the link? It has a D.C. motor.....must have rectifier...
    7 amps.
    edited January 2019 #20
    …..
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Some guys in the nw section have a cool sausage grinding party for Robert e Lee’s birthday. I’ve never been, but seems they know what they are doing,and seem welcoming 

https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/265304/annual-robert-e-lee-birthday-celebration-and-sausage-grinding#latest
    You should have been here yesterday
  • lilwoodylilwoody Posts: 1,139 Officer
    I just thawed 20 pounds of bear and 20 of venison that I'll add 10 pounds of pork shoulder to make our years supply of sausage. I've worked up several receipts over the last 15 years for Sage, Tuskin (similar to Polish) and Italian. I'm at work right now but Ill post the receipts tomorrow if you want 
    "Those who will trade freedom for security will have neither".
    Woody, the recipes would be great. I'd like to see how they compare with my MIL's.  The wife is excited about this, so I don't think there is any backing out of this for me.  
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,958 Admiral
    Some guys in the nw section have a cool sausage grinding party for Robert e Lee’s birthday. I’ve never been, but seems they know what they are doing,and seem welcoming 

https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/265304/annual-robert-e-lee-birthday-celebration-and-sausage-grinding#latest
    That's the one I was talking about BIL.  They have it every year.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 10,616 Moderator
    Resinhead said:
    I started with a Cabelas hand crank that weighed about 30 lbs. I attached it to a 2x12 and would clamp that to the counter top to keep it in place. Screw that. Got rid of that years ago and got I a Weston Butcher #22 grinder. I grind a lot of beef and venison. It has never let me down. Just don't wear long sleeves while using.
    How's the cleanup on this one?

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    It disassembles pretty quick and cleans up. The stomper is notched to grab the auger pin to help clean.

A lot easier than my old hand crank.
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,464 AG
    a lot of sausage experts here! shocking! 
    doe does it look like the one in the link? It has a D.C. motor.....must have rectifier...
    7 amps.
    Nope do't look like that , Mines white and a plastic housing. 
    Cabelas says that one will grind 4 pounds in a minute...That'll work just fine.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 10,616 Moderator
    Resinhead said:
    It disassembles pretty quick and cleans up. The stomper is notched to grab the auger pin to help clean.

A lot easier than my old hand crank.
    I like that one and it's on sale. More capacity than I'll ever need but I'd rather have too much than not enough.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

doe does it look like the one in the link? It has a D.C. motor.....must have rectifier...
    7 amps.
    Nope do't look like that , Mines white and a plastic housing. 
    Cabelas says that one will grind 4 pounds in a minute...That'll work just fine.

Should be a strong grinder with that DC motor. I suspect if you overload it, it will trip the breaker and leave a nice ozone layer in your kitchen.

I may get one if it works out for dogface...

• HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    don't use a grinder to stuff with.  It can breakdown the meat and make it horrible.  Especially fattier meats like pork.  Venision isn't too bad.

use a vertical stuffer.  5lb would be fine if you aren't doing that much.  Main difference between a 5 and 15 lb vertical stuffer is the number of times you have to refill it.

i've had luck in the past with a kitchen aid grinder.  Slow though.  But I wouldn't buy a kinchen aid just for this.