New year triple tail

alaprovaalaprova Posts: 55 Greenhorn
decided to head out with a few buddies and target triple tail on the crab buoys, it’s something I’ve come to really enjoy doing the past couple years. We headed out of Clearwater and saw probably 2 dozen Fish caught maybe 10-12, I only use artificial. only 2 being keepers and the biggest being 10lbs. News year day we headed out of Johns pass and had a very similar day to our previous trip. One thing I started doing this year is targeting them on fly and the catch is so much more rewarding and a absolute blast. Even convinced my buddy to throw the fly rod, figures he catches 19” fish on fly while my best on fly is still only 16”. Here’s some pics

Replies

• alaprovaalaprova Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    This post was a culmination of 2 days of fishing Sunday 12/30 and Tuesday 1/1 couldn’t have had any better weather Tuesday and except for the fog Sunday it was absolutely gorgeous 
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,041 Officer
    Nice. i need to get a couple fly rods. fun fish, so good to eat. 

• CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,156 Captain
    Nice job alex...That one looks like a really decent size trip...
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
    Nice job alex...That one looks like a really decent size trip...
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    Are those around all year?  I see them occasionally but I've never targeted them.  I'd like to give it a go one day.
    @trs912 they can be caught all year but i only target them in the winter months when they siting on the stone crab traps.
    funny, I only target them in late fall through late summer.
    late spring through late summer i meant. miss the edit option
    edited January 3 #10
    @permit_me How are you targeting them, since during the time you target them there are no stone crab buoys. 

ps: you can still edit by pressing the small gear icon to the left of your profile picture.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
     B) 
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    Burch, if you throw a freelined shrimp or white bait or even a small crab at them, they will usually cooperate.  You can also fish up and down virtually any trap line.   Most people run and look on the balls for them but a lot of times they are there, just not sitting on the surface.  

I have even heard of people scooping them up in 5 gallon buckets.  Sometimes they aren't scared of much.
    @CaptainBly ; your exactly right, one of my friends free netted one just the other day. usually we can get pretty close before they spook, but i usually try to stay as far away as i can but close enough i can still see the fish. the father i am away the more likely i feel the fish is to eat my bait.. I've never thrown live bait at them but given how well i do with flies and artificials i would assume live bait would be just as effective if not more so. there main diet is crabs, i'm one of those people who look in the stomachs of fish while i'm cleaning them and 95% of what i find in a triple tails stomach is cabs.

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,155 Moderator
    The only Trip I've caught never had a hook in it, basically swam right into my livewell dip net, barely fit his head. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, but fantastic on the grill. 
    Some sweeties there on the fly, great job.