Shrimping in Flamingo Everglades National Park

We love to go shrimping when they're running in Miami but I have always been curious if anyone has been out at night when the shrimp are running in Flamingo. We are planning a camping trip out around Shark River and I want to bring the lights/nets and set up on a strong outgoing  tide. Has anyone tried this or heard of anyone trying it? Also are there any restrictions I should know about? 

Thanks and I appreciate any insight

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,066 Captain
    Never remember seeing any special rules about shrimping in the Park....  I do know that most of the fish I handle in winter are clearly shrimp eaters... so I'll be interested in how you do.  Here's the two brochures for visitors to the Park - and it doesn't contain the Park's fishing regs (which are slightly more restrictive than the state's... ).  Once the Park re-opens  you'll be able to get a copy of the fishing regs at the front gate whenever they're open... My only concern would be skeeters at night - even in winter...
    https://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm
    https://www.nps.gov/ever/upload/Wilderness_Trip_Planner_2009.pdf
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • bluechipbluechip Posts: 178 Deckhand
    For what it's worth, my buddy and I putted to a chickee after dark about two months ago. Coming out of **** bay, while using the spotlight sporadically, I saw two or three shrimp. Not sure about eating size, but definitely fishing size!
  • PoplinFabricationPoplinFabrication Posts: 291 Deckhand
    Thanks we'll see how it goes, I'll post an update
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,049 Officer
    I can't tell you about recent times. But 30 years ago. You could stake out in tin can channel at night on a outgoing tide and catch shrimp if you wanted to. We just concentrated on catching Tarpon. 
  • JWTJWT Posts: 426 Deckhand
    there are shrimp! we never concentrated on dipping for a meal but would net a couple to drift to the snook & poons. it is hard to concentrate on the shrimp when the fish are pounding them :) bugs can be an issue but on the right night you won't notice them.........

I found out  that the Houseboats are back up and running so we rented one for 3 nights and going to get a real good look at how it is at night out in NW Whitewater Bay. Trying to find a good spot to anchor the houseboat up that's secure but fishy so we can keep a rod out while tied up. I'm bringing the lights and shrimp gear so I'll get a good feel for how it is. 

If anyone has experience in running the houseboats we'd love any input to make it a successful trip. I'm more excited about fishing from the houseboat I think than anything else. Planning on getting situation around Watson river  but it seems like it may make more sense to stay out in the open and away from the shoreline to help with bugs. I guess we'll see when we get out there but I'll post up a detailed report with pictures once we get back. 
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,066 Captain
    Where all the club anglers used to set up for the weekends years ago (at times with three or four rafted together)  was a place called houseboat cove and it's about a mile southwest of the Watson River.... If you follow the markers (or what used to be the markers to marker #35, go past it about 1/4 mile towards marker #40 (one of the only two markers still standing in Whitewater Bay....), then turn East northeast -check your chart and look for two big islands ahead of you about one and a half miles - on the way up to the Watson (they form a large horseshoe and pretty good shelter for houseboats...).  There's a gentle current going between them so you might have shots at shrimp if any are moving.  Your anchorage is just before you get to the pass between the two islands.... Hope this helps, don't think I have a specific lat/lon for the spot - but it's pretty easy to see in daylight... - best part - no hazards on the route at all.... as long as you aim at the middle of the horseshoe (back to the southeast it does get a bit shallow but you'll be in four to five feet of water from the markers to the "pass"... 

If you need more current for shrimping get as close to marker 40 as possible -there's quite a flow through there to and from Cormorant Pass (which is shown on the charts...http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11433.shtml  is the chart you'll need...

Make sure to post up a report of your trip -everyone will be reading it...

Hope this helps
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Thanks a lot I appreciate the input. That was the area we were leaning towards so I'm glad we're headed in the right direction. We'll be sure to put up an extensive report of the houseboat and hopefully some good fishing!