Stud African Pompano

BigBart56BigBart56 Jacksonville, FloridaPosts: 10 Greenhorn
edited December 2018 in Northeast Fishing Reports #1
Launched at Mayport on Christmas Eve looking to hit BR and Casablanca area. Although it was rough we steamed forward until we reached Br. At Br nothing was hitting squid on the bottom so we switched up to jigging and caught a few Bonitas kept one for bait and headed over to Casablanca. Tried squid there and it was grunt city so tried the jigs again and yet more bonita, until something different hit my jig. I fought the fish for about 10 minutes then we saw what looked like a mirror come up from the bottom. Turned out to be a 30 pound AP. After that we headed closer in search of some seabass. We had to weed through a ton of bluefish (anybody know why there are so many bluefish offshore?), but managed 12 bass up to 16". We also caught a few Northern bonita. The seabass were eating flat fall jigs and cut bonita. All in all it was decent day besides the wind and cold.

Replies

• bigslickbigslick Posts: 118 Deckhand
    That is a nice AP! Congrats. 
  • JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Great Fish!
  • JtgaviganJtgavigan Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Awesome catch!
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 1,996 Captain
    Delicious fish!  Congrats.
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,058 Officer
    What are the bonita looking fish?

Before you hire Morrocco Madness,  Please understand he is a crazy Trump hating liberal.

• BigBart56BigBart56 Jacksonville, FloridaPosts: 10 Greenhorn
    edited December 2018 #7
    osprey11 said:
    What are the bonita looking fish?
    They are Atlantic Bonita, the seabass were chewing them like crazy so we saved a few for next trip.
  • po28derpo28der Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Where were the blue fish at? 
  • 3ofakind3ofakind Posts: 79 Greenhorn
    Those true Atlantic Bonita have white meat(for tuna) and are delicious!
  • MarlinmanMarlinman Posts: 118 Deckhand
    That's a stud AP for sure. What are a couple recipes you use for AP?
  • BigBart56BigBart56 Jacksonville, FloridaPosts: 10 Greenhorn
    Marlinman said:
    That's a stud AP for sure. What are a couple recipes you use for AP?
    that was the first time we have ever caught a legal one. We'll cook it like cobia so like blacken, grilled, or fried.
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Sweet catch.  Did you save the ribs?   I caught a 45lber and gave most away but I marinated the ribs in Terriyaki sauce and they were pretty good.