Xmas eve gags new port richey

Well we took a late morning trip out on the 23rd and the water was still chalky and nasty from the big storm so i hit a few spots but nothing was really happening so we figured that the water would be settled more on Monday and planned on getting an early start. Left the dock at day break and picked up our traps which were loaded with big pinners. We had some frozen dines and boston mac and headed out west to 60'. Current was almost slack when i found my spot and threw the buoy so we parked on the buoy and drifted and picked up 3 or 4 keepers within 30 mins. A couple over 30". Also got a few ARS in the 10-12lb range as well. The current picked up and the bite slowed down after we anchored so i headed to a small wreck that was nearby figuring the big blow had the gags stacked up on high relief. My guess was right and we caught a few 23-24" ers that we let go and caught a couple in the 28-29" range that we kept. Also caught a lot of big ARS on that spot as well. Was trying to get on the mangos but the ars wouldn't allow us to get on them. Only caught a handful. Weather was beautiful so the ride out/in was nice. Most keeper gags were caught on live pinfish with the dead bait attracting the ARS a little too much. Until next weekend, tight lines!

Replies

• junglejimjunglejim Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    What size tackle gear test line do you guys use! You always do well!  Congrats!
  • clarosaclarosa Posts: 553 Officer
    I usually use 80 braid with 40' of 80lb top shot on my two speeds, with 4' of 80# or 60# fluoro depending on clarity. On my regular conventionals i use 60lb mono with the same leader. If the bite stops I'll drop down to 40lb braid with 40lb fluoro and use a light knocker rig with a 6000 spinner to get the weary gags hanging back. Hook wise my favorite is the eagle claw 9/0 ap circle. Seems to hookup almost everytime which can be a struggle with other circle hooks. 
  • micklej2micklej2 Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    SLAM DUNK😲 those are some MONSTER gags
    Nice Work
  • Jas2Jas2 Posts: 145 Deckhand
    Merry Christmas a day early !
    Nice piece o` work !!  Water looks awesome ! B) 

• andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 681 Officer
    hail yeah!
    we need more internet money
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,593 Captain
    Awesome trip! Always like it when a plan comes to fruition! Happy New Year!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 164 Deckhand
    clarosa said:
    Well we took a late morning trip out on the 23rd and the water was still chalky and nasty from the big storm so i hit a few spots but nothing was really happening so we figured that the water would be settled more on Monday and planned on getting an early start. Left the dock at day break and picked up our traps which were loaded with big pinners. We had some frozen dines and boston mac and headed out west to 60'. Current was almost slack when i found my spot and threw the buoy so we parked on the buoy and drifted and picked up 3 or 4 keepers within 30 mins. A couple over 30". Also got a few ARS in the 10-12lb range as well. The current picked up and the bite slowed down after we anchored so i headed to a small wreck that was nearby figuring the big blow had the gags stacked up on high relief. My guess was right and we caught a few 23-24" ers that we let go and caught a couple in the 28-29" range that we kept. Also caught a lot of big ARS on that spot as well. Was trying to get on the mangos but the ars wouldn't allow us to get on them. Only caught a handful. Weather was beautiful so the ride out/in was nice. Most keeper gags were caught on live pinfish with the dead bait attracting the ARS a little too much. Until next weekend, tight lines!
    **** you guys had a nice day!
  • DucksterDuckster Posts: 548 Officer
    Guess my day was the same out there dont feel so bad now. The fog was eerie to say the least and never lifted for us. Heard boats around us people talking and laughing but never really saw them