12/23/18 Gulfstar 16 hour Grouper trip

micklej2micklej2 Posts: 64 Greenhorn
Me and my buddy Bob took the 16 hour grouper trip with the Gulfstar on 12/23. A trip that was rescheduled from the 22nd due to poor weather conditions. The water was still a bit churned up which caused the captain to search for clean water. Clean water was eventually found and fish were caught. Not as many gags as anticipated but a handful were landed. What did show up in numbers for the more experienced fishermen were the mangrove snapper, the vast majority of them being big to jumbo big ( goooozers). One hour before, during and after the moonrise they chomped. Not all fishermen caught them but those who did were rewarded with fatties. There was also a 5-6 pound Mutton Snapper caught by the guy that won the biggest edible fish pool, not with the Mutton but with one of his jumbogoozers. Also the mythical ARS plagued us all day. The captain and crew were professional and considerate to our needs even to the point where the captain extended the trip for over an hour due to the bite turning on just at the time of our scheduled return. Thanks Captain. Looking foreword to fishing with them again soon. I didn’t win the pool, grouper or snapper but did have a contender or two. Our fishing buddy Sal and his brother Basil caught the runner up snapper.  
Chech our pics.

Bob aka SALT

Sal and his brother Basil

Moon set

Jeff aka Red Snapper

Replies

• grey2112grey2112 Posts: 190 Deckhand
    micklej2 said:
    Me and my buddy Bob took the 16 hour grouper trip with the Gulfstar on 12/23. A trip that was rescheduled from the 22nd due to poor weather conditions. The water was still a bit churned up which caused the captain to search for clean water. Clean water was eventually found and fish were caught. Not as many gags as anticipated but a handful were landed. What did show up in numbers for the more experienced fishermen were the mangrove snapper, the vast majority of them being big to jumbo big ( goooozers). One hour before, during and after the moonrise they chomped. Not all fishermen caught them but those who did were rewarded with fatties. Ther was also a 5-6 pound Mutton Snapper caught by the guy that won the biggest edible fish pool, not with the Mutton but with one of his jumbogoozers. Also the mythical ARS plagued us all day. The captain and crew were professional and considerate to our needs even to the point were the captain extended the trip for over an hour due to the bite turning on just at the time of our scheduled return. Thanks Captain. Looking foreword to fishing with them again soon. I didn’t win the pool, grouper or snapper but did have a contender or two. Our fishing buddy Sal and his brother Basil caught the runner up snapper.  
    Chech our pics.

Bob aka SALT

Sal and his brother Basil

Moon set

Jeff aka Red Snapper

Good GOD some of those mangos are massive!
  • chicochico Punta Gorda and PennsylvaniaPosts: 537 Officer
    Nice! Thanks for sharing the report and pictures!!
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 3,251 Captain
    edited January 2 #4
    Great report with excellent pictures.
    Only one little problem... 
    "Also the mythical ARS plagued us all day." 
    Remember!   NOAA can 'prove' that...

The American Red Snapper do not exist. 

The GULFSTAR is a ...

I shot that picture from the deck of the Florida Fisherman ll. We were both fishing the Florida Middle Grounds...

Would love to see more pictures from the  GULFSTAR. She represents Florida Well.