What is your down and dirty quick meal

Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,419 Moderator
I brown a pound of hamburger, a can of diced tomatoes, 2 cups of elbows or spiral pasta and 1 cup of water, season with garlic salt,  simmer for 15 minutes and serve with Parm cheese

Replies

• smooth movesmooth move Posts: 413 Deckhand
    carne guisada. cube any meat you have and brown it real good. chop onions and bell pepper, saute, add water/stock, season with chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper and browned meat and simmer for an hour. serve with tortillas and of course---rice. you can eat on it for a couple days.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,626 Captain
    I brown a pound of hamburger, a can of diced tomatoes, 2 cups of elbows or spiral pasta and 1 cup of water, season with garlic salt,  simmer for 15 minutes and serve with Parm cheese
    Sounds like hamburger helper.
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 597 Officer
    Saute some onions, green peppers, and mushrooms til the shrooms are soft and dark brown. Add three sliced cloves of garlic, sliced smoked sausage, and cumin+cayenne+salt+pepper. Serve over white rice, sometimes with a fried egg on top.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,123 AG
    edited January 1 #5
    Take any smoke meats we have left over, mix with some sauteed onions, cubanelle/banana/cowhorn peppers, chopped new potatoes, tomatoes and mushrooms, whatever. Fry up some fresh sunny side up yard eggs and add to the top. One of our favorites.

It has become one of our evening breakfast staples.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,119 Officer
    Cheese grits, mix 1 can black beans with 1 can of rotel, cook some shrimp in garlic and butter.
    Top the grits with beans and shrimp. DONE

Other than that its cornbread, you can add all sorts of things to cornbread and turn it into a casserole kind of thing.

Our grits and cornmeal come from woodsrunner, so that helps for sure.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 151 Deckhand
    If you talking fast it will be steaks mash potatoes or fries and veggie or salad. That an easy under 30 min meal. If you doing desert a guava sponge cake from the store mashed strawberries with fresh vanilla wiped cream. It really so easy to make.
  • Drifting_ByDrifting_By ChicagoPosts: 88 Greenhorn
    Greek chicken

Fill a glass baking dish with legs and/or thighs. Take 2 potatoes and cut them into 1/4" slices, arrange on edge around the pan. Pour the juice of 3 lemons over everything, sprinkle with salt and a lot of oregano. Bake for 1 hour at 450 degrees.

Very quick to prepare and you don't have to mess with it while it cooks and it tastes great!
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,119 Officer
    New favorite. Does this count?
    Got home last night, my oldest(15) was roasting tomatillos, onions, garlic and serrano peppers for salsa.
    Shredding chicken and making a mess of the kitchen.
    Made enchiladas with crema and cilantro to top it off.
    Not down, dirty and quick... But I never raised a finger ;) 

"I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,377 Admiral
    biscuits and sausage gravy
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.