Redington Fishing Pier is down!

Can't believe it! So much time there as a kid

Replies

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 981 Officer

• Just saw that on the news.
    Sad,
    Like you I spent a lot of time there.
    RIP Ernie and the pier.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,967 Moderator
    I'm friends with the bridge tender at JP, he clocked gusts to 67 MPH yesterday, almost seemed like a mini tropical storm down on the beach.
  • alaprovaalaprova Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    I like many got started fishing on this pier, it is such a shame to how the owners cared for the pier the last  10 years. i actually live across the street and spend a lot of mornings fishing the beach around it for snook, reds, trout, about a million ladyfish and jacks. to tell the truth i'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. hopefully some one will acquire it who cares about the piers history and either repairs the current pier (which would be one of hell of job) or replaces it with concrete pier similar in construction to pier 60.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 366 Deckhand
    Definitely sad to see the decline and end.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 218 Deckhand
    That sucks for sure.  I caught my first redfish from that pier. 
  • ALASKA GUYALASKA GUY Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    at least the owner will be forced to "deal with it" something that's not been done in the last few years. or the condo builders will get it, I think that's been the plan all along
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 981 Officer
    It'll be a condo before you know it.  Anyone remember bath club?
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 203 Deckhand
    Yes I do. I agree even though it is a relatively small piece of land it will be built on.
  • Reel Gator 2Reel Gator 2 Posts: 135 Deckhand
     I watched the pier being built in 1965, there was another close by pier then called Pier Kahaki and it went down in 1977 The owner only bought it for the parking lot and didn't care. Ernie bought the Redington Long Pier in 1967 when he had sold his dog kennel business in Ohio...he traveled back to Fla. with 67,000 strapped to his waist. NOW you know the rest of the story !

I walked out on the South Shore Pier in 1960, no handrails and only 2/3rds completed. It changed names twice before being called Pier Kahaki. The fishing of course was awesome, but too many yankees and dredging of the "fingers" so folks could buy homes...ruined it.

Ernie passed away  and he had a lot of heirs who didn't want it....the end of an era.

BTW it is zoned Recreational and a park of some kind will be wasted.
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 681 Officer
    good what an eyesore!
    we need more internet money