Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Flounder at sebastian inlet?

Hey guys, I'm up in jacksonville and flounder fishing in the river is over.   I have a few days off next week , and was wondering if the bite is still going on down there.  I would love to catch a few more.  I have never even been to sebastian,  but I'm looking for a day trip. Any reports or advise would be appreciated  .

Lastly I catch most of my flounder up here in Jacksonville on gulps.  

Thanks, 
Dane

Replies

• Bigfish5Bigfish5 Posts: 449 Deckhand
    Ok. Thanks for all the help.  Lol
  • BubbletrailBubbletrail Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Looks like no one wants to help out with even the smallest info Bigfish5. Look up Landshark fishing or Brook Crist outdoors, The flounder have been running pretty good on the south side of the inlet. Maybe busy after the videos. Good luck let us know how you do.
  • My TurnMy Turn Posts: 76 Deckhand
    I don't  flounder fish but can tell you there have been tons of boats fishing the inlet lately.
    Appreciate it guys,  would like to know if the fish are around before tackling that long drive.  If I go I will post results.    Like I said never been to sebastian inlet. Catching bait may even be a challenge      Merry Christas to you all  
    Stop at the bait shop in Seb and buy 2 to 3 dozen mud minnows. They are the bait for flounder.
  • SeaSpySeaSpy Posts: 410 Deckhand
    Heading down tomorrow 
    report to follow. 

Ron Alford Expert Investigations & Surveillance
    www.seaspy.theplan.com
  • SeaSpySeaSpy Posts: 410 Deckhand
    Ok
    it sucked

fished good baits on north /south side
    in & out
    both tide changes

nada

Saw one child catch a dink from shore 

two snook at the jetty tip and several black drum came over the north rail 

Caught blues, lizard fish
    a jack
    catfish

the pro guides didnt catch chit either 

best to to stay in Jax and catch convicts. 
     Sayin 

Ron Alford Expert Investigations & Surveillance
    www.seaspy.theplan.com
    SeaSpy said:
    Ok
    it sucked

fished good baits on north /south side
    in & out
    both tide changes

nada

Saw one child catch a dink from shore 

two snook at the jetty tip and several black drum came over the north rail 

Caught blues, lizard fish
    a jack
    catfish

the pro guides didnt catch chit either 

best to to stay in Jax and catch convicts. 
     Sayin 

10/4   i never tried to make it down, and it sounds like i did not miss to much.   Thanks for the report.
  • HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 332 Deckhand
    I haven't seen good flounder in the port or Sebastian inlet in a long time.  Some people say they catch them, but I haven't seen pictures...
    I have seen them brought in,  by my next door neighbor, guys at the SI marina, and seen boats net them. According to some guys it is the best season in a while, BUT flounder and fishing at the inlet in general can be hit or miss. On fire for a day or 2 then dead for a day or 2.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,972 Captain
    You will start hearing Good reports in a month from now  :p:p:# People are catching them, but like was said before its a hit or miss... but isnt that the way it is with all fishing... just saying... finally looks like some people are going back to the old ways of not saying anything.... too many spots get burn and way too many internet fishermen that come on forums just to read reports and never give anything back..... this goes for both boaters and shore fishermen.... Manners have gone out the window and **** the old ways...and yes i know i might hurt some feeling out there...but i will say it again... the flounders are out there...put in your time and fish.... not knocking anybody... just stating a fact...
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • saltyreefersaltyreefer Posts: 272 Deckhand
    I can honestly say the flounder were there a month ago when I went. I caught several, a lot of shorts and 15/16 inchers mixed in. I had no problem catching them. The people using finger mullet had issues from what I could see. Mud minnows were the way to go.
    I agree with Jettypark.  I don't post anything I catch on here.  I don't want some southbound Florida shorebird to take advantage of my spots...
    edited January 2019 #15
    I agree with Jettypark.  I don't post anything I catch on here.  I don't want some southbound Florida shorebird to take advantage of my spots...
    i posted this thread, but never actually came down to fish.   I am not sure what a florida shorebird is , but i got the idea to fish sebastian inlet for flounder from a guy that I ran into back in November up here in Mayport.    He was from Sebastian and had brought up a bunch of finger mullet all the way from his area.  He was a cool guy and i told him about a few different areas that i fish from shore and do ok with flounder.   Since he lives 150 miles away i do not think he is going to fish out the spots.      

I do understand your position though,  it seems that **** is the norm these days, so carry on as usual.   

P.S. this shorebird caught 2 big cobia and a nice mutton offshore of St Augustine this weekend in his 26 foot center console.    I told my new friend from Sebastian to come up and go with us but he could not this weekend.   He is going to come up in the spring and try and go offshore with us to catch some dolphin in the spring.   We may drag the boat down to his area also.   

Here are a few of the fish i caught in November up here.    These are all between 22 and 24 inches.   No monsters, but some solid flounder.   All on artificial.

I don't understand why people keep promoting more people to move down to Florida.  It's full and cannot handle what we have.  Get smart, protect what we got...
    I don't understand why people keep promoting more people to move down to Florida.  It's full and cannot handle what we have.  Get smart, protect what we got...

Who is promoting more peoples to moves down to floridas "i think i know what that sentence is supposed to mean"   I was born and raised in Florida,  you remember me dont ya,  i am a Florida Shore Bird.   What are you?
    A southbound Florida Shorebird is someone who migrates down here annually like the sea birds.  They take whatever they can while they are here all they leave is their sh!$...
    I can trace my lineage in Florida back to the Cree.  Grandmother was born in Okeechobee and used to go hunting/fishing with her parents while camping under a lean-to.
    edited January 2019 #19
    A southbound Florida Shorebird is someone who migrates down here annually like the sea birds.  They take whatever they can while they are here all they leave is their sh!$...
    I can trace my lineage in Florida back to the Cree.  Grandmother was born in Okeechobee and used to go hunting/fishing with her parents while camping under a lean-to.

Dude,  No one really cares where you are from.   Reading your posts tells us all that you come from slow minded lineage.   I was born in Florida in 1970 ,  are you impressed.   Florida gets a bad enough rap without you posting such stupid stuff on forums.   I suspect you are young and you will hopefully get smarter and less dorkified as you grow.   Until then i suggest you do a lot less talking and much more listening.    Let me guess, you have something stupid stuck to the back window of your truck,  like "Flo Grown" or maybe, "if you can't dodge it, ram it"   

P.S.  My grandpa used to camp under a palmetto frond and drink muddy water while picking his nose,  yeh,  that just happened.  Are You Impressed?

I’m sorry you feel that way about me.  I am a little bit more sophisticated than that, but I will hold that back.  It’s sad to see you try to cannabalise one of your own.  I’m sorry and will refrain from any further posts.  Best of luck!
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Bigfish5 said:
    i posted this thread, but never actually came down to fish.   I am not sure what a florida shorebird is , but i got the idea to fish sebastian inlet for flounder from a guy that I ran into back in November up here in Mayport.    He was from Sebastian and had brought up a bunch of finger mullet all the way from his area.  He was a cool guy and i told him about a few different areas that i fish from shore and do ok with flounder.   Since he lives 150 miles away i do not think he is going to fish out the spots.      

I do understand your position though,  it seems that **** is the norm these days, so carry on as usual.   

P.S. this shorebird caught 2 big cobia and a nice mutton offshore of St Augustine this weekend in his 26 foot center console.    I told my new friend from Sebastian to come up and go with us but he could not this weekend.   He is going to come up in the spring and try and go offshore with us to catch some dolphin in the spring.   We may drag the boat down to his area also.   

Here are a few of the fish i caught in November up here.    These are all between 22 and 24 inches.   No monsters, but some solid flounder.   All on artificial.

Nothing wrong with those flounder ...they come from Jax?omment
     i would be enterested in what kind of artificial

Okay we need to reel in the drama.... we are here for advise/laughs and just boredom at times LOL.. remember if you can't say something nice.... go play in the street JK...not...LOL.. 
  • HooknCooksHooknCooks OrlandoPosts: 83 Greenhorn
    So ... the flounder bite is on or not in Sebastian?

Not here for drama, just fishing tips/advise.
    Like i said before by the time somebody post a good report the bite is likely more than over... the best thing to do is put boots on ground and see whats hitting... and don't forget when you go out with a trying to catch one certain type of fish, it gets pretty tough at times... fishing from shore.. even harder.... IMO go out and enjoy the time out there, if you catch a few flounder...pssss keep it to yourself for awhile then post pictures/report.... thats what most of us do... well not me... i cant catch chit so i don't post anything :) 
    Enjoy the time because the fish are gone...cheers!
  • HooknCooksHooknCooks OrlandoPosts: 83 Greenhorn
    Post AFTER the catch, got it Jettypark.  New here, thanks for the tip.