PE 12/16 GREAT BITE DEEP DROPPING

Plan was to pull planers but got chased out of 100 ft
 sub was in close doing Navy doing  thing.Well
that was ok because we were going to deep drop .
When there is a north wind its prime time.Also needed
 fish for Friday as i have my crews over for a party and
 fish fry.With the wind fighting the current it was perfect.
As soon as you hit the bottom was a solid bite.At 12;30
headed home with a box full of Rosefish.Had a couple
of Mahi swim up and got 1 and jumped 1 off.
PICS TO COME

Replies

• GATEKEEPERGATEKEEPER Posts: 72 Greenhorn

• tank85tank85 Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    Nice job, looks like a lot of work cleaning all them. 
  • therisingsuntherisingsun BrowardPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Going out tomorrow, what was depth? 
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,731 Captain
    Going out tomorrow, what was depth? 
    780 ft
  • Capt KurtCapt Kurt Posts: 375 Deckhand
    nice catch..
    visit Pure Pilates in Fort Lauderdale - http://www.pure-pilates.net
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,474 Captain
    Holy Shee-ite Neal!  Maaaan, you tore up the Rosies! Nice job.

Pura Vida!
  • JustDaveJustDave Jacksonville FlPosts: 180 Deckhand
    Jesus thats a Crap load of Rosies! Nice work!
    1995 Stratos 2500WA Twin 2013 200HO ETECS! 
  • You guys do realize that a lot of those Rosies are over 30 years old.

Very slow growing fish, very high mercury levels, very low selenium levels(which can offset the mercury if higher).

You hit an area like that and it can take ten years to come back to where it was.

And they are dam hard to clean! I have a 10 limit Rosies on my boat.

Hopefully they will get on someone's radar and a 10 fish or less limit will be applied.
  • oldbigbucksoldbigbucks Posts: 163 Deckhand
    I used to call them red devils when I cut my way through college working at a fish market.
    You guys do realize that a lot of those Rosies are over 30 years old.

Very slow growing fish, very high mercury levels, very low selenium levels(which can offset the mercury if higher).

You hit an area like that and it can take ten years to come back to where it was.

Hopefully they will get on someone's radar and a 10 fish or less limit will be applied.

We do not target 1 area,we make long drifts.If you read my report
     i am having a fish fry for 25 people 10 fish would not go far.

• TunachaserTunachaser Posts: 219 Deckhand
    Nice work Plastered and Crew👍👍
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Electric filet knife runs through them like butta!
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,301 Officer

Always has to be a hater on this forum who can't shutup about peoples pics. Mind your own business!
  • on deckon deck Posts: 652 Officer
    fish_stix said:

Always has to be a hater on this forum who can't shutup about peoples pics. Mind your own business!
    Ummmmm....the ocean's resources are our business.  I have to agree with Ron.  There should be a limit on these fish.  Once some scientists collect some data such as life span and breeding habits you can bet your bottom dollar that they will be regulated.  I've got lots of respect for the op since he is a dd addict like myself but there has to be some self regulation sometimes.  The history of overfishing a population has been well documented.  I'd rather not have rosies added to that list.
    Ok i will not keep so many rosies anymore :'( and
    if i do i will not post report ;).Oh by the way the
    fish fry turned out great.As far as cleaning i have
    78 year old captain that is a pro at cleaning fish.
     All rib cages and remains go to a family that makes
     soup,so nothing gets wasted.
  • catchemupcatchemup Posts: 167 Deckhand
    While trying to be unbiased on this recent "Rosie Controversy”, may I offer the following observations:
    -most species that have been decimated have been the results of commercial over fishing and lack of government oversight…while tight regulations tend to come in after the majority of damage has already been done…think tuna, cod, shark
    -rosies are not a commercial target
    -fish that are impacted by recreational fisherman and are subject to over fishing generally do not offer significant obstacles to target…think  Spanish mackerel, kingfish, dolphin, yellowtail, seatrout  etc.
    -fishing for Rosies requires multiple obstacles to harvest such as specialized equipment and knowledge. In my opinion an occasional large catch by a small segment of the angling community is less than statistically insignificant…if that's possible.
  • Joe PJoe P Posts: 188 Deckhand
    Well Said Ron...……… What an absolute waste, why would anyone take so many fish, and they are tiny, not much meat at all. To: On Deck, Ron is not a hater nor am I, but this is a needless kill by an unresponsibe fisherman.

We all have a responsibility to be a steward of the ocean! Take what you need....

" Take what you need...."
    Joe P, while not trying to take sides, in response to your wise and correct admonishment above, it appears that 
    that's what Plastered 2850 did on this particular occasion as evidenced by his statement below:
    "If you read my report i am having a fish fry for 25 people 10 fish would not go far."

I do remember many many years ago when working on drift and charter boats, we would bring back huge quantities of bonita, cuda, amberjack [virtually never eaten back then], shark etc to be laid on the dock after the morning trip to help impress and  load the boat  with clients for the afternoon trip. As we would would get ready to head out , the fish were dumped into the bay. It was so obviously wrong and wasteful ... yet all of the commercial sport fishing boats engaged in this practice. It was a horrible waste of a wonderful resource....wish we had known better.
  • 40 years of Ocean Engineering, 20 years of representing recreational fishermen at HMS, 10 years of working as an adviser on US delegation to ICCAT on international fishing issues, Vice Chair of the SEFCRI,

Oh and I work in the Ocean for a living....

But I'm just a hater of fishing.....................................

Maybe i would like to see my grandkids be able to catch a few fish.

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,479 Captain
    One thing is that often where there are Rosies there are Goldens. I would hate killing out of season Tilefish for nothing. Fortunately, I don't care that much for Rosies as I find them too bland for my taste. I only care for them in ceviche so I rarely try for them exclusively.

I know they are slow growers and not too many people target them but what is considered not too many people? South Florida has a thousands of fishermen and a really narrow lane of depths to find certain species and all of the area is highly pressured. Remember the Swordfish "gold rush"? LP made out selling 1200s, now many are for sale on various forums. Golden Tiles, Snowy Groupers, Barrelfish and other deep species have declined fairly rapidly in the last 10 years as more and more people started deep dropping. It used to be a fairly well kept secret 25 years ago but things have changed. On the brighter side Yelloweye Snapper have been increasing In our area, go figure.

Also, a lot of fishermen are catching and not posting publicly, so no telling how many fish are actually taken from a given area. I personally don't post reports on public forums anymore for several reasons.

I am not criticizing the OP, just making some observations. It was a nice haul BTW regardless of where you stand.
    I bet the crew enjoyed the fish fry. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• ProfessorOProfessorO Posts: 273 Deckhand
    I am not an expert on rosies so let me just make a general comment. I don't see anything wrong with someone legally catching a bunch of fish for a party with friends and relatives.  As a good host, you would like to serve the best to your guests.  On the other hand, if you did this type of catching every trip, you are hurting this resource for future fisherman.  At the moment,  there are areas offshore of S FL where the bottom is paved with Rosies. This use to be the case for most fish species.   It is a safe bet that in a few years there will be days where it will be hard to catch a rosie if the fishing pressure continues to accelerate.

Based on a comment above, Please note that scientists do not make regulations, we make suggestions,  politicians make regulations.
    The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.
  • My point was two fold.
    1. Don't eat rosies regularly due to mercury buildup with no selenium to offset it.

2. Rosies grow very slow and live a long time. This is the kind of fish that can be hurt by over fishing in a given area.

Catch em up and have fun, just be aware.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,403 Officer
    So I think I understand maybe??

If I fish a couple times a year and keep a cooler full of fish (within the allowable limits of course). I am hurting the resource more than those who never keep more than 10 and fish multiple times each month. ;)

Why is it always the guys who are "on the water all the time" who think they "own the water" more than the rest of us less fortunate working stiffs? :)

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• remel1993remel1993 Posts: 528 Officer
    Neil is a stand up guy and I know he doesnt harvest that much fish every trip since he sends me his reports. Deep dropping once a month for them and keeping 10-20fish isnt going to hurt the fishery. We need some barrel reports NEIL. I have yet to catch one. 
    If I dont answer my phone call, either Im fishing or riding my motorcycle. -Salty Bike Life
    Thanks Professor O...your thoughts seem perfectly reasonable and appreciated.

Question for Plastered2850...do you generally mark the rosies on your recorder [aka fathometer for the old timers]
    and what type of bottom do you see...smooth or irregular? Thanks.
    catchemup said:
    Thanks Professor O...your thoughts seem perfectly reasonable and appreciated.

Question for Plastered2850...do you generally mark the rosies on your recorder [aka fathometer for the old timers]
    and what type of bottom do you see...smooth or irregular? Thanks.
    We do better on rugged bottom but do catch all
     different areas.Comments keep coming up targeting
    1 area will deplete the fish in that area.We run 2 rods
    and have done drifts as long as 15 miles,as long as
    we are catching fish.Have caught Rosies from 700 to
    a 1000 ft.Usually fish 800 ft.Hope that helps CATCHEMUP.
    Remy GT Opens the 1st so you know the #s i will be fishing
    have not gone to our Barrel spot for a while.
    Thanks Plastered. Do you actually see them on your recorder? Thks,
    catchemup said:
    Thanks Plastered. Do you actually see them on your recorder? Thks,
    No we dont see on recorder see good bottom
    and start drifting.Dont focus on machine to much
    as we are usually catching fish.
  • GhostRiderGhostRider Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    alot of rosies to clean!!1 B)
    fish on the brain ; pirate in the blood
  • miamihurricane34miamihurricane34 Posts: 145 Deckhand
    FYI, there is currently a project to assess age, growth and mercury content in rosefish off South Florida.