Lack of use gremlins.

Well since Irma and the red tide issue, my boat has been sitting in the water at the marina.  A few short runs mostly to check the batteries and start the motor.
 Well last time out i noticed the steering was getting kind of stiff.., on the way in I could hardly  turn the wheel.  Time to check it out  disconnected the motor from the cable it was free and easy to move from side to side. Went down to A! Marine and ordered a new cable  a 20 footer  they had installed the one that was in it now.
 A good friend Pat my neighbor agreed to help as he had installed a new cable on his  pontoon boat . The entire cable run was hidden behind the bulk head wall.  Thank goodness we tied a strong piece of rope to the cable we were  pulling out to serve as a guide to get it thru, still not easy but we got it done. 
 Then I noticed that my live well pump was not working. Went back the next day to check out the wiring it all looked good , i did notice the motor was getting hot but not running with the switch on , Bad sign  going to need a new  motor ran to West Marine and bought a pump to install i did not go high end like the $200 plus metal one that was in there.
  Boy did the salt water do a job on the one that was in there.

The housing was cracked.
larrywitt

Replies

• JustDaveJustDave Jacksonville FlPosts: 85 Greenhorn
    Make sure you find the best deal on the web and have West Marine match it! I never used to shop there due to the significant mark up they had but now that they will match price with any website for an identical item I shop there often. 
    1995 Stratos 2500WA Twin 2013 200HO ETECS! 
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,592 Moderator
    JustDave said:
    Make sure you find the best deal on the web and have West Marine match it! I never used to shop there due to the significant mark up they had but now that they will match price with any website for an identical item I shop there often. 
    Good advice I have remember that next time.
    larrywitt
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,092 Officer
    In the past
    .... I've been through a few.....I give them a new paint job with black Rustolium. I'll last longer.
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 666 Officer
    Get the Battery Terminal Protective spray (WD 40 is the brand I have) and spray it on liberally. Does a great job of keeping the rust off.