New member looking for advice

super5super5 douglasvillePosts: 5 Greenhorn
Hello .
I am a new poster to this site but have enjoyed the forums for a while.
 I live outside Atlanta and am driving down to Amelia Island Christmas Eve and staying for
a few days. Would it be worthwhile to pull my 16' jon boat(25 hp tiller) to fish inshore in the area,
 I am just looking for some general advice on maybe where to put in and some fishing tips,
Thank you ,
Super5

Replies

• wayviswayvis FloridaPosts: 86 Greenhorn
    You bet.  Plenty of back water to fish. You can put in on the north end or south end of the island. Plenty of reds and trout this time of year. Should be some sheepshead around also.
  • StankBaitStankBait Posts: 357 Deckhand
    If your trailer is not aluminum or galvanized, that is painted steel, you better not dip it in the salt water. Freshwater trailers don't do so good after being in salt. Not trying to be a buzz killer. Just something to think about before you do.
  • super5super5 douglasvillePosts: 5 Greenhorn
     Thanks for the info,my trailer is aluminum and I have used the 
    boat in Steinhatchee twice in the last year. I just wanted to make sure
    that my boat would be safe in these waters. 
     Mainly I throw soft baits(DOA,Gulps,etc) but am willing to try to learn 
    as much as possible.My sister lives in Jax so I plan on coming down more often.
     Also I do a lot of flyfishing in GA, Ky and Arkansas for trout so if anyone is traveling to Ga
    I would be glad to take you out .
    Thanks again,
    Super5

• andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 694 Officer
    great fishing, i would suggest going slow as lots of oysters(good for fishing bad for running into) maybe try and start on a low tide so you can see them and then be mindful!
    we need more internet money
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 1,922 Captain
    definitely bring the boat, i suggest hitting the creeks as you wont be familar with the area most of them will produce if not move to another. throw gulp shrimp, swimming mullet, or paddle tails if artis otherwise live shrimp, should be able to produce some nice trout and reds
  • Graphix GuyGraphix Guy Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    Definitely take it slow back in the creeks, lots of oyster piles that'll jump up and ruin your day. 
  • scrobscrob Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    For sure bring the boat.  Keep in mind we have much bigger tides than Steinhatchee.  I'd shoot to fish the creeks and flats around lowtide if I was you.  If you throw the long rod, try a slow moving clousore around oysters or points 
  • super5super5 douglasvillePosts: 5 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the info,any suggestions on where to launch.
    I have a GPS/plotter but it is not installed yet.
    I am waiting on the Ram mounts to be shipped. I will
    have a handheld VHF  just in case, but as a rookie to these 
    waters I will play it safe.
    Thanks,
    Super5

• Graphix GuyGraphix Guy Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    Lots of options launching from the Sisters Creek ramp.