fish cleaning

bunkerboy222bunkerboy222 Posts: 60 Greenhorn
I am a newbie to Florida fishing and I have 2 questions to ask of the LEO's
1. Can you clean(filet) fish while on the water and do you need to retain the carcasses
2.Can you stringer a live fish say a 20" redfish which is legal and replace the fish with a 23" redfish
    and release the 20"fish
                                                   Thanks much,
                                                     Mike

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,248 Admiral

You can clean your fish once you hit the dock and are done for the day otherwise you can be charged with failure to land fish in whole condition. This applies to all regulated species.

No you can not put a fish on a stringer and then replace it with a larger one. Once the fish is on a stringer, in your cooler, in your live well it is considered harvested (failure to immediately release).

• bunkerboy222bunkerboy222 Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    I like the idea of cleaning the fish at the dock,it saves getting my ba#$s broke from the wife about the smell.
    As far the part about the stringer/live well goes I would rather go home empty handed than go home with a ticket with a huge fine.I love redfish but not worth it!!!!!
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,490 Moderator
    Be advised, some ramps do not have cleaning stations and it's against county law to clean fish at the ramps that do not have them. 
    Hey Jack,
    I live in Citrus County and if I beach my boat say at Fort Island (end ramp) or Ozello is it legal.to do it on the beaches
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Get yourself a cleaning station from bass pro or Cabela's.  All the fish runoff collects in a 5 gallon bucket and you'll dump that on her azaela's and she'll be double happy.  You brought home dinner without the stink and her garden will be the envy of the neighbors.   ;)
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,448 Captain
    edited December 2018 #7
    If you live in a house, build or buy your own table. You can gut your fish at sea and clean them meticulously at home. I generally eat small fish whole and save the heads and collars on larger fish like Grouper so I have very few scraps for the garbage can. The scraps you can keep iced until garbage day or put them in your bait/game freezer so they won't stink.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

The fish cleaning station sounds like a great idea.I have a fresh water washdown on the boat that will help.
    Some good advice!    Thanks for the help.
                                                                           Mike 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,292 Admiral
    Just clean the fish at home then put the remains in a plastic grocery bag and freeze them, when the garbage man comes toss the frozen stuff out. If you don't have a way to dispose of the guts at your house.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,802 Admiral
    Hey Jack,
    I live in Citrus County and if I beach my boat say at Fort Island (end ramp) or Ozello is it legal.to do it on the beaches
    throw it in the can and let the county workers deal with it

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,802 Admiral
    as far as other questions on regs here is a great site..

https://myfwc.com/
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.