Guide Recommendation

Hi all,
New to the site but not to fishing. I was wondering if anyone have any recommendations for a Tarpon guide? I'm heading down there in March and got a free day to chase the Silver King. Thanks!

Replies

• JerseybassnbowJerseybassnbow NJPosts: 7 Greenhorn
    I dont know how to edit on here but I will be staying in Marco Island.
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Joe Snook here on the forum is an excellent choice. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,043 Officer
    Matt Hoover Night flight charters 239-289-6103
    He fishes out of calusa and does very well with the Tarpon!
    Jason :USA
  • JerseybassnbowJerseybassnbow NJPosts: 7 Greenhorn
    Thank you for the info. I'll reach out to both.
  • Joe SnookJoe Snook Posts: 460 Deckhand
    edited January 2 #6
     im not disagreeing Outlaw one bit I like Matt but i am curious how people come to their conclusions of a guide recommendation. Im at the marina just about everyday so its curious to me because i hear opinions from people all the time on guides (that i know personally), some fair some not fair On how these people draw up their conclusions and their opinions on us When they arent there seeing whats going on and whose doing what. remember guides, full time guides anyway that are busy are there alot more than people working regular jobs that are there once a weekend (if that) Guiding or not Guiding.
    Have you caught Tarpon with him? Did you hear it from someone who has? does he call you and tell you hes caught them? Was it because he made a dvd with captains tails? Do you drink beer with him? once again im just curious what events happen to bring people to think that their recommendations are Qualified. this is not an attack on Matt, or Outlaw for that matter Ive met him hes a nice guy. I just find it funny that people who are hardly at the marina find themselves qualified to be Judging a guide, good or bad. 
    southwest florida fishing guide in the beautiful 10k islands, everglades and more www.Joesnook.com
    Joe Snook said:
     im not disagreeing Outlaw one bit I like Matt but i am curious how people come to their conclusions of a guide recommendation. Im at the marina just about everyday so its curious to me because i hear opinions from people all the time on guides (that i know personally), some fair some not fair On how these people draw up their conclusions and their opinions on us When they arent there seeing whats going on and whose doing what. remember guides, full time guides anyway that are busy are there alot more than people working regular jobs that are there once a weekend (if that) Guiding or not Guiding.
    Have you caught Tarpon with him? Did you hear it from someone who has? does he call you and tell you hes caught them? Was it because he made a dvd with captains tails? Do you drink beer with him? once again im just curious what events happen to bring people to think that their recommendations are Qualified. this is not an attack on Matt, or Outlaw for that matter Ive met him hes a nice guy. I just find it funny that people who are hardly at the marina find themselves qualified to be Judging a guide, good or bad. 
    Joe, I made the suggestion as a back up incase you may be booked already.
    To answer your questions. I have known Matt for about 10 years. He doesnt drink so not drinking buddies. He is a customer of mine and i have been a customer of his a couple of times. About 3 years ago i switched from bass fishing to saltwater. Matt has helped me greatly in my new endeavor and even invited me too his home and taught me how to throw a cast net, also gave me 2 of his old nets to start out with. My boss has known Matt since they were kids and they fish together all the time as friends not as a customer. 
    I fish out of Calusa almost exclusively about 3 weekends a month. So i see whos out on the water on a regular basis.
    Like i said I was just giving another option incase of booking conflicts. I see you on the water probably more then him actually so i know you put in the hard work of keeping happy clients.
    Hows are you liking the blue wave?  
    Buddy that is one legitimate Reason of a Recommendation if i ever heard of one. Ive just been hearing alot of negatives towards people i know personally and disagree with and just wanted to figure what goes through peoples head sometimes. People need options thats for sure im not butt hurt about it i was actually gonna say if the dudes dead set on Tarpon theres only one place in March that its guaranteed to get em and thats Miami. here it can be iffy in March ive Done incredible in March and earlier and sometimes pretty crappy. But Miami is on fire that time of year. 
        The Blue Waves been Great so far but in the shop i hit a submerged tree in a path i take 100 times a year so hopefully get it back soon. 
    southwest florida fishing guide in the beautiful 10k islands, everglades and more www.Joesnook.com
    That sucks!! Hopefully your back out again real soon! Mind me asking where you hit it? Been a mess since Irma.
    yep Scariest moment i ever had in 32 years of boating in sw fl. 
    its behind long rock it used to be very visible and easy to avoid but it had moved close to my regular path and one little stick out of the water 12 inches. i put a bumper on it and and at the end of my trip i went back to look at it and some Loser cut the rope and stole the bumper so im gonna have to go and drag it or something. pretty hard to explain ill have to show you id even like to do a public service and mark it on here but i cant seem to get pictures to work. 
  • nobleonenobleone Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    "its behind long rock it used to be very visible"

I know exactly where it used to be and when I couldn't see it anymore I got spooked everytime I went through there.  It must be deeper in the channel now?  Pretty shoaly (?) around there anyway.

"If it's not one thing, it's an alternator"

• Golfn1Golfn1 Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    Joe Snook said:
    I've used guides all over North America and Hawaii, proabably over 30 different guides.  I like effort and honesty along with a clean boat.  A guide can't guarantee you fish, he can put in every effort to put you on fish and that's what I want to see.  Going to as many spots and using all the techniques available for the time of year to put me on fish. I gave one of my biggest tips to a Adam Michaelson in November and we only brought in a few smaller fish.  Why?  Because he put us on some big fish bites and due to bad luck, inexperience on our part we didn't land them.  Not the guides fault.  He put in a lot of effort to get us on those bites.

For Honesty, if it's blowing and snotty and the guide calls and says we can't go because the wind is blowing from the south and we won't catch much...I really appreciate that honesty rather than take my $400 for a half day trip.

Out of Goodland, I like Ty LLoyd and Adam Michaelson.  The put in a solid effort the times I've used them.  I've used others that are good too, Steve LLoyd Senior, Nick Calusi, Kailee Krisp, Nick Thorstensen but Ty and Adam are my go to choice for now.  Although reading Joe Snooks reports, I'd like to give him a try soon.  How do i find his deats ?
    edited January 6 #13

Golfn youre definitely more in tune with how fishing and guiding works more than about 90% of the people guides have to deal with through out the years and trust me your guide is appreciating you for it. Its funny and i understand why but some trips you can literally sit in one maybe two spots the whole trip and catch fish after fish after fish and of course everyones happy and the guide feels and looks like a genius but most of all the guide is relieved he didnt have to go bust his butt (which plenty of us do But many do not) just to make himself feel fulfilled and for someone like me and many other guides out there its just in their DNA. what i mean is sure everyone loves to go out relax and catch a bunch of fish and not worry about a thing but thats not reality on a daily basis. When i get on the water and things just arent going as planned i get fired up even more concentrate a little harder and actually become Consumed by the share Challenge of it all its me against the fish and my anglers that day are my tools, which lets face it that really does tie one hand or sometimes even both hands behind your guides back. that being said I Never blame my anglers! its my challenge that I accepted to be able to somehow go out and have people that maybe fish once a year go out and figure out how i can get them to catch fish with the skills they offer. thats on me and believe me it took alot of learning and sucking up having to fish styles, techniques and species i normally never would But its all about the customer so i did alot of changes to adapt to be a well rounded guide. Now if you want the morning to start off right Please please please Do Not go on and on how great an angler you are! all it does is get your guide super excited to fish a certain way and plan the day out that just isnt possible because you either lied to try and negotiate a better rate (which is the worst way to start a relationship with a guide! I found me just hanging up is the best way to handle that situation) or you just have no idea what a good or great angler can do. The reason is it is very disappointing and takes the wind out of the sails of your guide when after they go way out of their way for you the night and or morning before to make special preparations for someone who can actually fish well and in some cases run way further than needed to just to realize well this was a waste no way this guy can make this happen hes got the darn reel upside down or cant cast in any one desired direction or my favorite were in a foot of water why did that man just plop his pilchard right off the side of the boat? so lying to him may throw him off his game and you want that dude to concentrate and relax I know i rely on my sense while fishing catching a good vibe of life in an area or certain sounds or very subtle sights, believe it or not alot of people try to distract their guides as much as possible by endless questions or any other way they can for whatever reason. Anyway i dont want to get too off topic here but this is all good info to help someone get a more successful trip for their money. I wanna catch big Snook and Reds sure you do and i want that for everyone as well but in some cases it takes very skilled anglers to get them, Not always but sometimes. yes you better be able to accurately skip a bait under the trees but if you cant on those particular days then ill find something you can catch. anyway like i was saying on the easy days with plenty fish and little work (Much to your previous point) the tips are great but what only a small fraction of people seem to realize is that on tough days those few nice fish were not only achieved by your guides hard work and diligence but in alot of cases His DNA his refusal to quit purely for the challenge and for the sense of achievement he receives personally because that is the make up of that person. Thats why when you find that guy know matter how little fish or how little stupid stories he told throughout the trip or how unenthused he may have seemed about your one thousandth question you fell upon a guide who alot of people out there would have killed to be with that morning so instead of showing no appreciation and looking down and giving a limp hand shake next time after reading this youll know you just experienced something rare these days, A True Guide (in my opinion) and over all sportsman consumed completely by the hunt. Which unfortunately with the internet these days makes it extremely hard to find this rare and desirable breed. To these guys Yes its a business but its not all business We just found a way to deal with our addiction and try to make some money to live at the same time. Barely, You dont even want to know what goes on behind the scenes when we are as most would say, What a Easy life you just come out and go fishing everyday huh! im gonna go buy a boat and do this too. I hear this all the time and man you are Clueless. But unfortunately it does happen and it works for people who are good on the internet. Most my Repeat customers have been fishing here for years and im sure other guides have the same exact stories. These poor guys have been fishing guides here for years, Never a trip they felt was good or great (and say i still never gave up and im glad i didnt) and never had any idea what fishing can really be like or what a snook or redfish was and tarpon are mystical impossible to catch unicorns of the sea, needless to say those guys stick with me and other guides with pride for years. its one thing i learned in all my years of construction management and building, you can teach a skill to someone but you cant teach them to take pride in their work or have passion for their work Or simply find someone working in a field they were just flat out Born to do. Golfn stick with them dudes and keep treating them well it does not go unappreciated i assure you Now call em up and go Tear Em UP!
       WARNING: the person writing this article may be hazardous to some peoples healthy Emotions due to excess passion and excitement for his work and making jokes for his own amusement and sanity. but most the time just enjoying watching people having a great time and loving sharing this amazing water wonderland we call the ten thousand islands.
  • Golfn1Golfn1 Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    Well said ! I do appreciate the insight into the business.  It is a VERY Difficult job to launch a boat before dawn, find bait, throw a big net for bait, pick it all up and put it in the livewell clean up the boat and then have the patience to deal with two a days with various member of the public with varying skill levels.  I take non fisherman fishing and they try my patience sometimes. LOL. Then regardless of how you did that’s day, clean boat and put it on the trailer to do it all again the next.  I’m in Florida several different times throughout the year and take a guide every time for 2 reasons. 1. It’s nice to sit back and be taken fishing not wondering about tides, water clarity etc.., they always teach me something about a presentation or why the boat is here rather than there, types of knots. The whole process is very fun and relaxing for me.  Joe Snook, our paths may cross for a trip if my Guys are not available and I look forward to that day !
  • WATERTIMEinshoreWATERTIMEinshore Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    Check out the guides that operate out of Calusa Island Marina in Goodland. In my opinion they are some of the best.

Capt. Brad Buczko
    WATER TIME Inshore Fishing
    (239)-963-5282
  • MollyBrownMollyBrown Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I would recommend Bill Faulkner.  He fishes out of Everglades City.  In March, you will have to run far south.  After May, your odds go up considerably. 
    edited January 20 #18
    agreed

• Paucan6005Paucan6005 Port of the islandsPosts: 33 Greenhorn
    edited March 7 #19
    That tree occasionally hold some big fish......