Home General Hunting

I think Florida should build a wall!

Replies

• FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    Number, you dont even know me, so how are you going to tell me what I do and do not know. I know FL pretty well. I am obviously not asking for a wall, dont be so literal.
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    TRT, Its sad but true, I might be too young for a lot of you to think I am smart enough to know this state and know the detrimental nature of humans, but I am not. I have seen it first hand.

I want people to move here that will only try to help our ecosystem for wildlife and try to save it rather then trash it and make it worse. Thats all I am saying. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Had a wealthy customer tell me a couple months ago ..We need to stop all this Development..
    I agreed and said you should have seen the Flag Pond and Cypress Strand right where your house sits now 30 years ago....
    She might not be a Customer anymore.
    Here in the panhandle there is a stretch called 30A. The samething has happened. They bulldozed the dunes built homes (extremely overpriced) and they are all demanding conservation and growth limits! They got their slice of heaven. Now it’s time to shut it down.  
    Personaly you could not pay me to live there and that includes Destin, an overcrowded, over priced shopping mall!
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,291 Officer
    Number, you dont even know me, so how are you going to tell me what I do and do not know. I know FL pretty well. I am obviously not asking for a wall, dont be so literal. 
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,067 Captain
    Dude, I have been saying Florida is full for years. A lot of the people I work with are from up north in the new england area and all they do is complain about the weather, locals and cities being too small. I always tell them to go back because we dont want them here and they are taking up too much space and how we were better off without them, they always laugh and think I am kidding...yeah im so just...kidding. NOT! Go home!!

Youre just an ***hole. I think youre missing the overall point of my statements. Maybe you should read it slowly and figure it out because I have nothing to respond to your statement because its so far away from what I was trying to say. Go figure yourself out then come back to me. As for your keys statement, I have friends in the keys, I have friends in the pan handle, I have friends everywhere. Thats the issue. Its too over populated. I dont want whats best for me. I want whats best for Florida and adding people to an already overcrowded area is incredibly horrendous for that area. If you think I am arguing birthright, youre wrong. Reread my. 

Kid, you cause change here everyday. All of us do. Every time you fish or hunt, you effect the wildlife. Every time you flush a toilet, or drive your car, you cause change. Again, as do we all. You gripe about the growth, but you are fine with your family coming here. The piece of property you live on did cause change. The fence you “maintain” around it still causes change. Do you think the water you get from your well, and the sewage flowing into your septic tank don’t cause any damage? And what I said about the Keys is 100% true. The only locals that like it are the Yankees that got themselves elected to the County Commision and passed that stuff. And it doesn’t stop people from moving to the Keys. It just limits them to rich folks who can afford to by the RoGro lots. I’ve lived here all my life, 60 years worth. I’ve seen more change than you can dream of. Do I like it all? Nope. But that doesn’t mean I have any right to tell someone they cant live here. Neither do you. Or that they have to live here like either of us think they should. And remember this. When you buy that piece of land, ANYTHING you do to it is changing it. Especially if you build anything on it, and/or fence any of it. 

TRT, Its sad but true, I might be too young for a lot of you to think I am smart enough to know this state and know the detrimental nature of humans, but I am not. I have seen it first hand.

I want people to move here that will only try to help our ecosystem for wildlife and try to save it rather then trash it and make it worse. Thats all I am saying. 
    I went back through your posts after reading this. Nice bit of editing to remove all your comments about keeping people out, and only letting in people that will “help our ecosystem”. By the way, Art (A Number 1) has been here for a “few” years, too. And he’s a commercial fisherman, on the water every day. He just might know a little more about this than you. I know that’s hard for you to believe. TRT has been in Florida just a tad longer than you, also. 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,893 Captain
    We reached ideal “ Buildout”, as legally defined/ “ Vested Rights” about twenty some years ago.
     If in fact you do not know what reference to “ vested right” is, consider further study.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,026 Admiral
    22 Degrees is The High today , Snowed heavy last night and the entire State is frozen..You worked 30 years at GM and the Kids are out of College , House is paid for.
    Shove snow for the rest of your life or buy a Deck boat and putter around Winter Haven lakes while Suzi get's the Grill started.
    I certainly understand why folks want to move here. 
    A requirement of Citizenship should be laying in Chiggers for a week , and a night of N See Ums in the 10 K Islands.

Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    Vested rights are not static. Comprehensive Use Plan amendments can change permissible land use and that often creates opportunities for landowners to obtain vested rights that the land was not previously entitled to. Look at western Orange County. 40 years ago it was mostly orange groves with no vested rights to develop the land. Between freezes/disease/land appreciation, etc. citrus became less profitable than alternative land uses. The landowners lobbied the county commission and had the CUP amended. Today it’s Metro Orlando.
    pottydoc said:

I went back through your posts after reading this. Nice bit of editing to remove all your comments about keeping people out, and only letting in people that will “help our ecosystem”. By the way, Art (A Number 1) has been here for a “few” years, too. And he’s a commercial fisherman, on the water every day. He just might know a little more about this than you. I know that’s hard for you to believe. TRT has been in Florida just a tad longer than you, also. 
    I didnt edit my statements, I edited my grammar. I am also not saying I know the most nor am I saying I dont change things myself. I try to do my best to change things as minimally as possible. I understand that I change things. I try to change them for the better. However because everyone that already lives here changes things that means we should let more people in to change it even more and make it even worse? Yeah that makes sense. We didnt touch anything on our property when we moved in just maintained the fencing. The people before us did. The house was built in the 60's and well maintained. Another thing, I am not saying I know the most. I know I dont know a lot. I know a lot of people who are smarter then me. I know plenty who have more experience then me. I also know when enough is enough. The future is today and it doesnt look pretty for Florida. We are plenty full of people, cities and traffic. We have barely enough resources for our current population. We dont need anymore people to stretch everything even thinner. We cant even keep our ecosystem healthy with the amount of people we have. What makes you think we should let more people in that are going to ruin it even further? If they want warm weather and mosquitos, there are plenty of other states that offer those things. You arent going to make me change my viewpoint. 
    Potty, I am sorry for calling you an ***hole, I thought you were being condescending and I got frustrated. That was wrong of me and I should have been more respectful than that. We are all adults here, so I do apologize for that. 
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,722 Captain
    The only constant is change.. the great thing about the human species is the ability to dictate some of that change, for better or worse.  Actually, only humans think things are better or worse.
    This was just a joke..
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    Potty, I am sorry for calling you an ***hole, I thought you were being condescending and I got frustrated. That was wrong of me and I should have been more respectful than that. We are all adults here, so I do apologize for that. 
    No big deal Matt. I don’t let anything that someone says on the internet upset me. And believe me, I’ve been called worse. Now if you’d called me a yankee, then we’d have an issue, :)
  • deerflydeerfly Posts: 776 Officer
    fl native 61 years, seen plenty of change in the state. Sadly not much of it for the better, mostly a gradual, but steady worsening of quality of life and natural resources and/or access to them. It's the natural result of accommodating a burgeoning population.

FM96 my only advice is to engage in the politics of habitat management and development where you can if it keeps you sane and feeling like you're doing something, but go in knowing its a losing battle. Big money controls everything (hint: this is true here and everywhere else on the planet)  As long as there is land to be developed nothing is going to stop the influx of people. Best one can hope for is slowing the rate of change.  If you want to live in this state then find a less populated area and enjoy it while you can. 

As an aside, I've been to Alaska twice. If you really like the outdoors with a rich game and fish population, the potential for a NAT GEO experience nearly every weekend and hardly any people to compete with for it that's the place to be. Don't wait too long though, the locals up there are having the same conversation as we are here and they have been since the gold rush...
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra
    Potty I would never call you a yankee thats just...as bad as...well nvm.
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,362 Officer

Impossible - " I want people to move here that will only try to help our ecosystem for wildlife and try to save it rather then trash it and make it worse" - the 2 are mutually exclusive. Sad but True.

• Mr_WatsonMr_Watson Ten Thousand IslandsPosts: 115 Deckhand
    Or we can support organizations such as the Florida Wildlife Corridor. 

http://floridawildlifecorridor.org/

The idea of having a continuous wildlife corridor spanning from South-North Florida recognized by the state legislation is crucial as populations continue to grow. 
    edited December 2018 #110
    Imagine Billboards scattered throughout Florida:
    ” Visit, but please don’t move here!”

I actually explored conducting such a Billboard campaign.The opposition was telling.
    And a particularly astute person also warned that the effect could have been one of encouraging some prospective new residents, a certain “ energy” that would lend confidence when considering where to “ escape” to.
    I recall years ago an argument in support of State Conservation Lands program ( and expansion) was that, by golly, new residents are attracted to areas featuring conservation lands.
    The most important Floridian has always been the next one to move in.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    For a while the state's growth management plans were doing a somewhat decent job of planning where growth should occur. Some locations were clamoring for restrictions on new highways that would have drastically impacted the sites tranquility- they got them. DCA was sent packing seven years ago - hodgepodge growth has become the norm. Growth I'm afraid is inevitable. As mentioned, the snow country is no fun for senior citizens. We also enjoy mega numbers from our Ali north of the border. Long as we run our ac units in December we're the number one winter destination winner! Until the tax payers can get on board with the purchase of state lands or developmental rights, the continued development of farm and ranch lands will continue. Can't expect land owners to donate their property for us to recreate on, when they can make the big score. Like a lot of you, I've experienced the changes. I'm a little jaded that the powers that be will approve every development to the chant "we need growth and jobs to make this state better ". I'm of the opinion unbridled growth will kill most anything, in the long term. Growth needs some kind of "exit strategy" some time well before it hits maximum mass, or the citizens will turn into raging unhappy inhabitants. Still a great State with outdoor opportunities if you can go during the middle of the week ;)
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,026 Admiral
    Until Global Warming makes New Jersey 78 degrees in December...we're screwed.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    The departure of Charles Gauthier from DCA should have been headline news.

edited December 2018 #114
    Yeah...Im just gonna start taking down developers plotting sticks on the side of the road when I see them. Its like subtle, non-violent version of guerilla warfare.
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    No white person has any claim to this state regardless of how many generations they've been here.
    Only Indians and Spaniards have any real claim, both owned it longer that us crackers.
    The Adams- Onis treaty of 1819 says differently. Spain ceded La Florida to the United States of America. As for any others. Those who win the wars determine who possesses what and how. 
    I love the use of "this state" and then the historical connotation defined by the use of generations and previous occupants. 
    If you truly believed what you wrote, you would have excluded the Spanish in your attempt to deny others their lineages, heritages and cultures. Furthermore you forgot to include the separate nations with their defined boundaries;Florida republics; Republic of West Florida, Republic of Florida or The East Republic of Florida and lastly the various territories held by the French and British along with your aforementioned Spanish. 
    One can only hope that if you believe that which you wrote, that you have packed your possessions and returned to your Eastern beginnings outside of this country. 
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,932 AG
    I'd rather have MRich here than most I have met....  regardless of how many generations back you go. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,537 Captain
    Great to have you back around here David!
    David B said:
    " I am worried some stupid developer is going to purchase it just to develop it and make more homes. We moved out of the city to get away from it. We didnt change the land we moved too, ... "

I read this nearly everyday somewhere on a discussion about Florida, its wildlife, environment or historical past. It is akin to the NIMBY thought process, Not In My Back Yard. As long as it is done somewhere else, or in this admitted instance, before we got here. Well then we are not to blame. 
    How do we change that perception, that view from those pointing the fingers and laminating the "Greedy Developer(s)" label on folks who build, create and construct for all? 
    It seems to be directed towards shopping centers and homes. Grocery stores seem to get the nod of approval as they ranked much higher for consumer needs. Gas stations follow secondly simply for that which they provide and the convenience of use as the population continues to grow. 
    No one seems to complain about parks, athletic fields, boat ramps, canals previously dug and dredged where they didn't exist a few generations before. 
    The now that I have mine, you shouldn't have yours crowd is in for a rude awakening. They are as much a part of the perceived problem as those around them. 

This ^
    edited December 2018 #120
    NIMBY
    The ultimate stand for personal discernment, awareness and freedom, further protected by US land use laws that note existing land use “ vested” prevails, including your Back Yard and adjacent Landscape, use and zone...... others can apply for changes, subject to NIMBY/  Citizen’s government assessment, court battles an option.
    NIMBY/ My Backyard and Adjacent leave as is, is  certainly the ideal........thanks to the growth of Florida and so many.......... well......Back Yards.....NIMBY remains as a presence. So dang many Backyards with protective owners..... tough on the development change interests.
    NIMBY, yea!!
    Note too role of Back Yard / County Comprehensive Plan...... 
    Nobody should be ashamed of looking after their Backyard, even if “ Not” retains the status quo for existing Back Yarders at the expense of speculative change.

• Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    NIMBY

As long as the adjacent landowner is fairly compensated for increasing your land value by decreasing their land value, that's fine.

If you're not willing to personally pay for the benefit you're after, then you're no better than anyone else who takes without paying.... or the person who could do for themselves but opts to take the government cheese.