Home General Hunting

I think Florida should build a wall!

Replies

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,060 Captain
    100-something years back is nothing. 
    FL was Spain's for over 300 years.
    If that was directed at me, I never said it was. Just pointing out to flats that disputes his claim otherwise, he was telling a vet that he wasn’t welcome here. Of course, he has just ignored that, and tried to change the subject. I figured his family were fairly recent additions to our State, and was correct.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,431 Captain
    I, for one, agree with Matt, and no one is telling a vet they aren’t welcome here. Everyone knows the ship has sailed concerning immigration to Florida. What we want are people here who love the land, who don’t see it as a trashy swamp to “improve” by making into whatever that person moved away from. I welcome anyone here who will love the land and generally work to preserve it. I’d rather anyone leave who wants to urbanize it outside of very small, contained areas of urbanization. 

But as far as people not liking hearing about being a Cracker, those people can just plug their ears or get over it. And Cracker is a culture. Meaning the culture can be legitimately  adopted by new immigrants as far as I’m concerned. I’ll consider a 1st generation Yank who thinks and lives like me one of my own kind way before another upteenth generation Floridian like myself who says “screw it all, pour the concrete.”
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    Pottydoc is kickin' asps and takin' names.....  
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    I LOL when I read " Florida is full"....I feel bad for whoever that poor fellow was that has never taken an airplane ride.
    I know he hasn't because if you take the 30,000 foot look at Florida...you will see that other than Orlando...the middle of the state is nearly empty.
    It is even more pronounced at night....the outline of Florida is lit...the interior is dark.

There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    I, for one, agree with Matt, and no one is telling a vet they aren’t welcome here. Everyone knows the ship has sailed concerning immigration to Florida. What we want are people here who love the land, who don’t see it as a trashy swamp to “improve” by making into whatever that person moved away from. I welcome anyone here who will love the land and generally work to preserve it. I’d rather anyone leave who wants to urbanize it outside of very small, contained areas of urbanization. 

But as far as people not liking hearing about being a Cracker, those people can just plug their ears or get over it. And Cracker is a culture. Meaning the culture can be legitimately  adopted by new immigrants as far as I’m concerned. I’ll consider a 1st generation Yank who thinks and lives like me one of my own kind way before another upteenth generation Floridian like myself who says “screw it all, pour the concrete.”
    Who said that? No one has even remotely suggested that. It’s the “I got my piece, the r st of you stay out” attitude that I have a problem with. 
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,722 Captain
    No, Florida is full! Has nothing to do w land area.  Its about resources.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,722 Captain
    edited December 2018 #69
    Funny thing, have a couple friends that have never been down Weeki Wachee. So about a month ago we decide to do it. I don't know why, but my friend wanted to call ahead and talk to one of the attendants(launch at the spring head). Thank goodness he did, 2-hour drive. They weren't allowing anyone else on the river because it was 'at capacity'....
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    MaineRida said:
    Hmmmm, I spent eight years of my life serving this country to be walled out? That is a serious reduction in freedom. I guess there is limited thanks for ones service or thanks but get the heck out? I served , my wife served, my daughter served, my son served and my father served but we should have limited rights to this country? 

I agree with the post that stated the population increase is everywhere.  In Maine you have NJ, NY and Massholes coming north buying the rural land then wanting city amenities implemented and driving up taxes . They price locals out of the opportunity to purchase homes and land.

As is said in many instances, It is what it is.
    Thats exactly what they are doing here in Florida, the last place of salvation for us is ocala through the panhandle asside from tally.
    Panhandle and especially tally are full. We don’t need anymore south Florida or northern transplants 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    pottydoc said:
    Pottydoc, my families been here for three generations including me. My girlfriends family has been here for three generations as well. What I am saying is that this state is filled beyond capacity. The environment around here cant handle too many more people. There is 25 acres for sale here in Chuluota and I am worried some stupid developer is going to purchase it just to develop it and make more homes. We moved out of the city to get away from it. We didnt change the land we moved too, we didnt cause problems and we didnt complain about anything. Whenever I meet someone new from out of state they always have complaints. I am sorry but I am tired of people moving here and changing things, if you want to move here thats fine but dont change anything and dont complain. 

I think that last sentence really sums up my point. 
    So, flats, does your family live in a house? Drive on roads? Did you attend school? Do you go to the hospital when you get hurt bad? I got news for you buddy, those “stupid developers” built all those things. And a whole bunch of them were here before you, your parents, or your grandparents. But I guess it was fine for your family to move here, and everyone else needs to stay out. Maybe you should protest by living in a tent someplace with no running water, electric, sewer, or other convenience. Because developers built that stuff too. You talk exactly like a bunch of Yankees I know. Your attitude is I got my piece of FL paradise, the rest of you stay out. Plus you are posting nothing but complains, but griping about other people doing the same thing. And bud, when you built a house and whatever else on a empty piece of property, you changed it. Especially if you put in a septic tank and a well. 
    Nope, we didnt change a **** thing. I think we could do with a whole lot less. I just do and as my parents say because I live under there roof. If I had it my way, I would never want to use all these highways. I would wanna live in one of Floridas oldest small towns whatever it may be. I think you missed my point. See my last comment, the last sentence. I am tired of people moving here and changing things. You can move here, thats fine, but dont change anything. I would never build a house, I would move into one someone is selling or an empty one because I dont like tearing up the land to put permanent structures on it. Sure I can see the importance of a few large cities. I get it. However Florida is growing way to fast for the land and local ecosystem t keep up. Hell I dont even know if we will have a local ecosystem soon, with how fast Florida is growing. My goal in life is to find a nice piece of property and maintain it. Not change it but hunt it and hopefully be able to fish it. Thats what I want in my life. But again, ill reiterate my point. People can move here but dont change things. I only am complaining about change because it isnt good change. Everything thats happening to the state right now is putting it further and further down the crap shoot. Finally they might do someothing about our destroyed water ways. However its been too long. Im tired of everything changing. Thats all im saying. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    duckmanJR said:
    I LOL when I read " Florida is full"....I feel bad for whoever that poor fellow was that has never taken an airplane ride.
    I know he hasn't because if you take the 30,000 foot look at Florida...you will see that other than Orlando...the middle of the state is nearly empty.
    It is even more pronounced at night....the outline of Florida is lit...the interior is dark.

I dont think you quite understood what I meant by that. I mean our local ecosystem and resources are being strained and we are trying to find ways to help them adapt to the rapidly changing system we are forcing them into. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    Thank you Bullfrog, Thats what I am trying to say. He just said it better and more modestly and not as tone aggressive as I did. 
  • AMobleyAMobley Posts: 202 Deckhand
    edited December 2018 #74
    I heard you cant get a Beejay up north in the wintertime... all the kocksuckers are down here in Florida!
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,765 Captain
    edited December 2018 #75

Its just human nature.  If you stay long enough in a place you liked when you moved there, (44 years for me) then the changes come along,  (and in Florida it has changed very quickly) its easy to think about the good ole days and what brought you to the area in the first place. No other direction to point the finger than at development and more people.

I do think that if Florida wants to save some of its unique ecosystems then the development needs to be reined in.  Monroe County does it by means of financial barriers.

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,693 AG
    My grandparents on my moms sidecame fled Castro, came to Florida and started a family. On my dads side, my grandfather came down from Minnesota as a teen and his wife, my grandmother is from France. Both sides have lived here since the 1960's

I love this state and hate to see it ruined. Ive been here for only 22 years but its crazy to see the crap that people the people who move down here are turning it in too because they "dont like" the way we do things. I dont know if we can ever go back, our waterways are turning to crap, cities are becoming too large, people are moving in by the masses and development is at an all time high. The state we once knew is gone. I just dont understand or know what we can do to fix it. Orange county is literally so full, they are running out of phone numbers to give to the new comers. 

Shoot even ten years ago I remeber how healthy the lagoon and rivers were, catching plenty of reds and black drum was the norm in a single day, slaying the big trout over acres of nice seagrass. Now its all gone. Its heartbreaking to see the state turn into this pile of ****. 
    Dang, you sho nuff a FLO GROIN CRACKA!!!
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Pottydoc, my families been here for three generations including me. My girlfriends family has been here for three generations as well. What I am saying is that this state is filled beyond capacity. The environment around here cant handle too many more people. There is 25 acres for sale here in Chuluota and I am worried some stupid developer is going to purchase it just to develop it and make more homes. We moved out of the city to get away from it. We didnt change the land we moved too, we didnt cause problems and we didnt complain about anything. Whenever I meet someone new from out of state they always have complaints. I am sorry but I am tired of people moving here and changing things, if you want to move here thats fine but dont change anything and dont complain. 

3 generations of yankees (specially Ohioans) only spans 25-30 years.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,181 Officer
    pottydoc said:

Who said that? No one has even remotely suggested that. It’s the “I got my piece, the r st of you stay out” attitude that I have a problem with. 
    People have done this since time began.
    ANUMBER1 said:

3 generations of yankees (specially Ohioans) only spans 25-30 years.
    Good thing no one in my family is from Ohio.
    pottydoc said:

So, flats, does your family live in a house? Drive on roads? Did you attend school? Do you go to the hospital when you get hurt bad? I got news for you buddy, those “stupid developers” built all those things. And a whole bunch of them were here before you, your parents, or your grandparents. But I guess it was fine for your family to move here, and everyone else needs to stay out. Maybe you should protest by living in a tent someplace with no running water, electric, sewer, or other convenience. Because developers built that stuff too. You talk exactly like a bunch of Yankees I know. Your attitude is I got my piece of FL paradise, the rest of you stay out. Plus you are posting nothing but complains, but griping about other people doing the same thing. And bud, when you built a house and whatever else on a empty piece of property, you changed it. Especially if you put in a septic tank and a well. 
    Nope, we didnt change a **** thing. I think we could do with a whole lot less. I just do and as my parents say because I live under there roof. If I had it my way, I would never want to use all these highways. I would wanna live in one of Floridas oldest small towns whatever it may be. I think you missed my point. See my last comment, the last sentence. I am tired of people moving here and changing things. You can move here, thats fine, but dont change anything. I would never build a house, I would move into one someone is selling or an empty one because I dont like tearing up the land to put permanent structures on it. Sure I can see the importance of a few large cities. I get it. However Florida is growing way to fast for the land and local ecosystem t keep up. Hell I dont even know if we will have a local ecosystem soon, with how fast Florida is growing. My goal in life is to find a nice piece of property and maintain it. Not change it but hunt it and hopefully be able to fish it. Thats what I want in my life. But again, ill reiterate my point. People can move here but dont change things. I only am complaining about change because it isnt good change. Everything thats happening to the state right now is putting it further and further down the crap shoot. Finally they might do someothing about our destroyed water ways. However its been too long. Im tired of everything changing. Thats all im saying. 
    Did you build a house? Put in a well? A septic tank? Out buildings? A drive way or road into the property? Clean any of it? Did someone else do any or all of those things? Is it fenced?. All of those changed it. You don’t have any right to tell someone else they they can’t move here, or that they can’t change anything. When your family moved here, they changed things. The amount of people on the roads, the water being used, etc. just because they were here earlier doesn’t change that fact. 
    pottydoc said:
    pottydoc said:

Did you build a house? Put in a well? A septic tank? Out buildings? A drive way or road into the property? Clean any of it? Did someone else do any or all of those things? Is it fenced?. All of those changed it. You don’t have any right to tell someone else they they can’t move here, or that they can’t change anything. When your family moved here, they changed things. The amount of people on the roads, the water being used, etc. just because they were here earlier doesn’t change that fact. 
    All of those questions, we did none of them. It is fenced but the fence was already here, we just maintain it. So youre okay with allowing more people to move in, change things for the worse, and strain the already stressed local environment? Okay got it. I dont see how any change for Florida at this point will be good unless it is to fix the waterways. Fixing isnt changing, its reverting back to fix and help sustain Florida. Adding things to cities and destroying forests to build homes is not healthy for the land. So yes, as someone who already lives here and was born in this state and am watching it get destroyed and trashed, we absolutely have a right to try to find ways to fix it and make it healthier again. The Florida keys have implemented certain programs to restrict people moving down there and its working. Whats so wrong with us doing the same thing, to save our local ecosystems? Newsflash, its not. Also when my family moved here, they moved here back when everything was still healthy and not overpopulated. Now, we are way too crowded. Im sorry if you disagree but us natives that are born here and have lived here for generations have a right to say, um hello, we are full. Sorry if you disagree but thats just the way I feel. 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,431 Captain
    Young people like Matt are the future of Florida. Whether someone is a new transplant or an 8th generation Cracker, Seminole, Spaniard, or whatever, what matters is whether someone loves the land or not. If enough people would love the land and see the need to preserve it, Florida will be better off. And yes, a large part of that is cutting off the tap of growth. I don't see a problem with a new person saying "hey, no more!" Because the person that says that sees the need to save the land and sees the only practical way to do it. 
    I truly just want what is best for Florida and the future of the state. 
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    The only practical/ethical way to stop growth is to open up your wallet. If it's yours, you can control what happens to it (mostly). Few have the financial ability to control what happens on more than a small amount of land.

There was a day not that long ago (to some anyway) when Chuluota didn't exist as it is today, or as it was 20 years ago, or even as it was 40 years ago. In the 1960's when it's population started growing rather than shrinking, there were people who didn't like the change then any more than people like the development going on today. For them it was already ruined.

Everyone has their own opinion of where the line between enough and too much growth is at. Usually it's right about where it's at when they first lived there.

Same Song Different Day
    pottydoc said:
    pottydoc said:

All of those questions, we did none of them. It is fenced but the fence was already here, we just maintain it. So youre okay with allowing more people to move in, change things for the worse, and strain the already stressed local environment? Okay got it. I dont see how any change for Florida at this point will be good unless it is to fix the waterways. Fixing isnt changing, its reverting back to fix and help sustain Florida. Adding things to cities and destroying forests to build homes is not healthy for the land. So yes, as someone who already lives here and was born in this state and am watching it get destroyed and trashed, we absolutely have a right to try to find ways to fix it and make it healthier again. The Florida keys have implemented certain programs to restrict people moving down there and its working. Whats so wrong with us doing the same thing, to save our local ecosystems? Newsflash, its not. Also when my family moved here, they moved here back when everything was still healthy and not overpopulated. Now, we are way too crowded. Im sorry if you disagree but us natives that are born here and have lived here for generations have a right to say, um hello, we are full. Sorry if you disagree but thats just the way I feel. 
    So, you live in a tent? Someone changed the land. And you took advantage of it. Nothing wrong with that at all. Until you don’t want others to have the same privilege. I guess we should tell you and your wife to be you can’t have kids. That’s adding to the ovulation . Can’t have that. As for the Keys plan, why don’t you run down there and ask the everyday people who work there where they live. For a whole bunch of them it ain’t the Keys buddy. Plus, no one is stopping anyone from living in the Keys. All it takes is enough money. But I guess those folks would be ok. Keep out the vets, and let the people with cash come on in. And you can give up on that native stuff. I suspect your grandparents moved here so it’s just a couple generations not three. In your family. Even if it is three, that hardly makes you a long timer. As I already posted, my family is working on seven. At least. It depends on which branch you want to follow. No baby apointed you as spokes person for us, so don’t assume to speak for us. There’s a whole bunch of stuff that’s happened because of growth I don’t like, but last I checked, in this Country your allowed to go wherever you want. So no, you don’t have the right to tell fellow Americans they’re not welcome. Although, maybe we should do it and make it retroactive for, the let’s say, three generations. A lot of people thought it was too crowded then, too.  When you start typing your reply, how about actually addressing some of the points in my post, instead of more emotional drivel. Seeing you trying to defend why it’s ok for you to add kids to our overcrowded State should be interesting. And I have it said I want anything like that passed, so don’t even go there. I capfuls ask the same about a kid who goes to out of state college and meets and married a girlthete. I guess he can’t bring his wife to Florida. We’re already full.  My wife’s mom from New York ne did to come live with us because of her health. Too bad, huh. Where are you going to
    dtaw the line?

gon
    I truly just want what is best for Florida and the future of the state. 
    No, you don’t. You want what you think is best. You love living in and using all the things that have been already built, and you don’t want to share  them. Got no more time for this now, got three does in
    the food plot. Waiting for daddy to come check them out
    The only practical/ethical way to stop growth is to open up your wallet. If it's yours, you can control what happens to it (mostly). Few have the financial ability to control what happens on more than a small amount of land.

There was a day not that long ago (to some anyway) when Chuluota didn't exist as it is today, or as it was 20 years ago, or even as it was 40 years ago. In the 1960's when it's population started growing rather than shrinking, there were people who didn't like the change then any more than people like the development going on today. For them it was already ruined.

Everyone has their own opinion of where the line between enough and too much growth is at. Usually it's right about where it's at when they first lived there.

Same Song Different Day
    Yup.
    edited December 2018 #88
    Youre just an ***hole. I think youre missing the overall point of my statements. Maybe you should read it slowly and figure it out because I have nothing to respond to your statement because its so far away from what I was trying to say. Go figure yourself out then come back to me. As for your keys statement, I have friends in the keys, I have friends in the pan handle, I have friends everywhere. Thats the issue. Its too over populated. I dont want whats best for me. I want whats best for Florida and adding people to an already overcrowded area is incredibly horrendous for that area. If you think I am arguing birthright, youre wrong. Reread my statements because youre so far off my points its not even funny. 
    walker, thats right. Too bad I dont have any money as a broke college kid. I would buy all the land I could and just let it sit. Maybe have it set as a wildlife sanctuary. 
    FM96, you don't even know Fl.

From my perspective (using your reasoning), the wall should have been built before your folks came here from the frozen north and Cuba.
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    Just letting it sit would be as detrimental to the ecosystem as paving it over. Without active management (which also takes money), the habitat will still degrade. Before long, it won't be what you hoped for. It would create a safety hazard as well. You may be too young to remember 1998 when the haze from the fires could be seen in NYC. Not a good plan.