Home General Hunting

I think Florida should build a wall!

Replies

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,722 Captain
    Oh, and vets, I'd be ok with an exemption
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • GeetchGeetch St. Pete and JasperPosts: 228 Deckhand
    I'd be ok with just a ban on people from Ohio. They are a plague and infest any state they move to. White trash isn't a strong enough description of them.  
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,418 Captain
    duckmanJR said:
    I'm getting a kick out of all the "southerners" that are here.....Funny how once mommy and Daddy got here ...we need to close the borders. LOL 
    1858 or 59 thereabouts was the latest of mine to move down. He was a teenage veteran of the Third Seminole War that for whatever reason thought Gulf Hammock would be a great place to raise his family. The rest were already in the Levy area at that time.  

My wife’s got a touch of Yankee blood in her... meaning a branch of hers came from south Georgia post-war. Because Georgia Cracker equals Yankee  :D
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,760 Captain
    edited December 2018 #35
    duckmanJR said:
    I'm getting a kick out of all the "southerners" that are here.....Funny how once mommy and Daddy got here ...we need to close the borders. LOL 

Im 3rd Gen going back to the early 1900s.  I think its more about protecting Floridas unique ecosystems.  They are taking a beat down currently.

Monroe county has a pretty effective way of limiting growth in the Keys. But the $ wins elsewhere. 

People might complain about "Big Sugar" but if development ever gets a start in the cane fields, its over.  New development currently going strong just 2 miles from the edge of the cane and 1.5 miles from STA1. Touts itself as an "Agrihood" with a community farm and farmers to help residents grow their own produce. But it is really just another gated tract home development with an angle.

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,990 Admiral
    Thank God the Big Bend don't have beaches...…
    There was a Write up awhile back in the Miami Herald when they finally caught my Grandfather for making and selling Shine..Grey Fox of the Everglades is what they called him.
    Dad was on 5 years Federal Probation as well. Only thing saved him from Hard time was me and my little brother showing up on Mommas Knees in Court.
    You can never go back Home..all you can do is keep moving away from the Madness.
    See ya'll in the Big Bend next year...I'm done,
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    Everybody in todays world is " Flo grown "  LOL.....  
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    My grandparents on my moms sidecame fled Castro, came to Florida and started a family. On my dads side, my grandfather came down from Minnesota as a teen and his wife, my grandmother is from France. Both sides have lived here since the 1960's

I love this state and hate to see it ruined. Ive been here for only 22 years but its crazy to see the crap that people the people who move down here are turning it in too because they "dont like" the way we do things. I dont know if we can ever go back, our waterways are turning to crap, cities are becoming too large, people are moving in by the masses and development is at an all time high. The state we once knew is gone. I just dont understand or know what we can do to fix it. Orange county is literally so full, they are running out of phone numbers to give to the new comers. 

Shoot even ten years ago I remeber how healthy the lagoon and rivers were, catching plenty of reds and black drum was the norm in a single day, slaying the big trout over acres of nice seagrass. Now its all gone. Its heartbreaking to see the state turn into this pile of ****. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    It isn't so much that the additional people are from somewhere else in particular.  It's that they are additional people.  And they don't, as a general rule, care any more about the state of our environment than the people who were already here.  Which isn't much, if at all.  This is a state where it's all about the $$$.  All places are, really, but here we do it with a particularly stupid flair for $hitting our nest.  

As any duck hunter will tell you, it's just how it is and all one can do is be proactive and have a spot B, C and D in mind.  
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • AMobleyAMobley Posts: 202 Deckhand
    duckmanJR said:

you can trace the sand in my boots back to the 2nd and 5th Florida Infrantrys.

eat one, yankee.

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,057 Captain
    duckmanJR said:
    This. ^ 
    MaineRida said:
    Hmmmm, I spent eight years of my life serving this country to be walled out? That is a serious reduction in freedom. I guess there is limited thanks for ones service or thanks but get the heck out? I served , my wife served, my daughter served, my son served and my father served but we should have limited rights to this country? 

I agree with the post that stated the population increase is everywhere.  In Maine you have NJ, NY and Massholes coming north buying the rural land then wanting city amenities implemented and driving up taxes . They price locals out of the opportunity to purchase homes and land.

As is said in many instances, It is what it is.
    Thats exactly what they are doing here in Florida, the last place of salvation for us is ocala through the panhandle asside from tally.
    You seemed to miss something here, flats. You’re one of the folks tellling MaineRida he  shouldn’t be able to move here. Just for the heck of it, how long has your family lived here. Mines only been here for at least five generations through me, and two more since I came along. More, actually, depending on what family tree branch I want to research. 
    Them Northern Folks have paid me enough money to retire to the Big Bend ...and back to Cracker Country...I'm good..
    I’m just a few years behind you TRT. 
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 576 Officer
    i wanna ban south floridians from pigeon forge tenn,    every **** non hunting non fishing neighbor of mine is from south florida   .   
    No white person has any claim to this state regardless of how many generations they've been here.
    Only Indians and Spaniards have any real claim, both owned it longer that us crackers.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    AMobley said:
    duckmanJR said:

you can trace the sand in my boots back to the 2nd and 5th Florida Infrantrys.

eat one, yankee.

No thanks....I'm not  homophobic....but your proposition seems a little over the top....You queen.  :D
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Perhaps the gays were here first.
    Then the Native Americans.
    Then the Spanish.
    Then the normal people.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,028 Admiral
    Perhaps the gays were here first.
    Then the Native Americans.
    Then the Spanish.
    Then the normal people.

Looks like the gays and the Spanish are still here and doing well. The Native Americans and the "normal" people, not so much.
    My ancestors came to Florida in the early to mid 1800s from the Bahamas. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

edited December 2018 #49
    Pottydoc, my families been here for three generations including me. My girlfriends family has been here for three generations as well. What I am saying is that this state is filled beyond capacity. The environment around here cant handle too many more people. There is 25 acres for sale here in Chuluota and I am worried some stupid developer is going to purchase it just to develop it and make more homes. We moved out of the city to get away from it. We didnt change the land we moved too, we didnt cause problems and we didnt complain about anything. Whenever I meet someone new from out of state they always have complaints. I am sorry but I am tired of people moving here and changing things, if you want to move here thats fine but dont change anything and dont complain. 

I think that last sentence really sums up my point. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    100-something years back is nothing. 
    FL was Spain's for over 300 years.
    I mean half of my family is from Cuba, and Cuba was dominated by spain for a long time so does that mean I am part founder of Florida or does it not work like that lol.
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,362 Officer
    meateater said:
    i wanna ban south floridians from pigeon forge tenn,    every **** non hunting non fishing neighbor of mine is from south florida   .   

Have U been to the wind tunne " Flyaway "in Pigeon Forge yet??  ;)
    Pottydoc, my families been here for three generations including me. My girlfriends family has been here for three generations as well. What I am saying is that this state is filled beyond capacity. The environment around here cant handle too many more people. There is 25 acres for sale here in Chuluota and I am worried some stupid developer is going to purchase it just to develop it and make more homes. We moved out of the city to get away from it. We didnt change the land we moved too, we didnt cause problems and we didnt complain about anything. Whenever I meet someone new from out of state they always have complaints. I am sorry but I am tired of people moving here and changing things, if you want to move here thats fine but dont change anything and dont complain. 

Ever heard the old saying "The only thing one can count on is change" - it's True.

Then King Ferdinand of Spain gave Florida to the people here not state government.
    Heck 250 yeas ago ain't that long.
    Had a force of 350 Spaniards march right thru my Camp about then. 
    I told them Taylor County Rednecks that my Rican Bride has come to retake her lands. 
    That kinda stumped them..
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,418 Captain
    No white person has any claim to this state regardless of how many generations they've been here.
    Only Indians and Spaniards have any real claim, both owned it longer that us crackers.
    By that logic, the Seminole have no claim here either. They didn’t exist as a people and didn’t live in Florida prior to the 1700s. 
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 844 Officer
    21.3 million people as of today, third most populated state , if you love the state of Florida and it’s weather and diversity as I do we are just gonna have to wrap our heads around it and make the best of it. They are not gonna stop coming. The same reasons we love it are the very reasons they are coming.
    There was a report called Florida 2060 done by UF.  Estimates florida's population to reach 36 million within the next 40 years. 
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    I always get a chuckle out of the words...Native Americans...
    edited December 2018 #60
    Had a lot of indian friends in OK, they chuckled too.  At least the old school guys. American is an english term... of course so is indian, but they had no problem with it and preferred it.  Most of the younger generation really coulda cared less too.  Maybe that's changed, but it was true up until about 10 years ago.

So, flats, does your family live in a house? Drive on roads? Did you attend school? Do you go to the hospital when you get hurt bad? I got news for you buddy, those “stupid developers” built all those things. And a whole bunch of them were here before you, your parents, or your grandparents. But I guess it was fine for your family to move here, and everyone else needs to stay out. Maybe you should protest by living in a tent someplace with no running water, electric, sewer, or other convenience. Because developers built that stuff too. You talk exactly like a bunch of Yankees I know. Your attitude is I got my piece of FL paradise, the rest of you stay out. Plus you are posting nothing but complains, but griping about other people doing the same thing. And bud, when you built a house and whatever else on a empty piece of property, you changed it. Especially if you put in a septic tank and a well.