Chaz w/Kayak

Took the kayak part way down the Chaz yesterday afternoon during low tide.  Caught a couple of Reds in the 16-17 " range, 2 Snook in the 22" range, Jacks (including 1 monster), and Ladyfish.  Mainly on gold spoons.  Lost more fish than I wish to admit.  Surprisingly, no trout.  
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."  - John Buchan

Replies

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,509 Captain
    Trout won't come into freshwater unless it is really, really cold. And they can't stay around for long.  Jacks and snook have no problem.  Redfish can handle some freshwater for a while as long as the calcium level is high. 

Try the salty creeks at the lower end of the river if you can get down there. See if somebody with a boat can give you a tow or a transport.  I always wanted to fish those creeks with a kayak when I was younger. 
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,718 Captain
    edited December 2018 #3
    Doc Stressor said. 

Try the salty creeks at the lower end of the river if you can get down there. See if somebody with a boat can give you a tow or a transport. 
    He has a boat but he is waiting for me to go with him.  :)

As to fishing the Chaz river, yeah the jacks will stack up for the next couple months, catching them is a nice way to spend some time fishing. Factor in a snook once in awhile even a ditch pickle now and again, then one doesn't have to go far to do some fun fishing, even in a kayak.

The trout, as Doc mentioned, will be outside around the "holes", the big'uns will be in the shallows with the remaining reds on warm sunny days until spring.

Billy

"And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Small BoatsSmall Boats HomosassaPosts: 23 Greenhorn
    Yeah, that place freaks me out in a boat!  .....especially when the tide gets low....
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."  - John Buchan
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,570 Captain
    That was a fun day i a kayak.
  • bunkerboy222bunkerboy222 Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    Ok .......would someone please tell this idiot what kind of fish is a ditch pickle????
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,509 Captain
    Largemouth bass.
  • bunkerboy222bunkerboy222 Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    Thank You.......I was guessihg it was a ladyfish
  • Small BoatsSmall Boats HomosassaPosts: 23 Greenhorn
    I read it fast and thought it was a "ditch pickerel"....duh...
    I just found out about a new book being published on Kayak Fishing in Citrus County.  I fished with the author a couple of times and he knows a lot, so I'm sure the book is good. It can be seen at https://squareup.com/store/buendia-press 

• BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,718 Captain
    Captain Duane (Windsplitter on here) is the one who I stole the ditch pickle name from, as he uses it all the time, it's appropriate.

I'll get Small Boats out soon so he doesn't have to paddle so much and he can use that nice boat of his.

Billy

"And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."