Skip to main content
Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

THE GOOD OLD DAYS?

Old DogOld Dog Posts: 560 Officer

And there can't be many oysters left in the bay. I spent a lot of time there recently and didn't see any tongers. Sad.

Replies

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,807 Captain
    They are being farm raised in Panacea Florida.
    God, save the South!
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 10,146 AG
    edited December 2018 #3
    I don't care for the farm raised oysters.  They grow them too big.  Even the extra small are bigger than what use to be selects. I sure would love a sack of App oysters.  Back when I 1st started going to Carrabelle a 60 lb sack was $18 at the seafood market.

I have an old ledger from 1861 to 1865 from Louisville Kentucky.  A 2 1/2 gal jug of whisky was 37 cent.  A cord of wood was $2.  That's the ones I can remember.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    Old Dog said:

And there can't be many oysters left in the bay. I spent a lot of time there recently and didn't see any tongers. Sad.

That’s very cool, I’d love to pay $0.65 for a qt of oysters. I grew up in Dothan ( 1979-1992), but never knew of the Dothan cafe. Know the Salibas, but not the restaurant. Do you remember when it closed OD?
    You should have been here yesterday
    They were still around in 1935.  Sunday dinner was 40 cent.  Oysters had went up a dime.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    The good old days may be the great old days after all.... Mostly only the great strides in medical tratment are the great things today.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    Yep 1917 was the yr of the bad flu & diptheria epidemics.  Millions died world wide.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 23,939 Moderator
    The good old days often look better in hindsight. :)

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain

The Good Old Days??

Walking up the side of the road looking for the rare Coca Cola bottle someone threw out the car window----

Find three bottles and you had a Coke and a piece of bubblegum! Cokes were a nickel apiece and the bottle required a .02c deposit unless you had an empty bottle to leave, and bubblegum was a penny!---that was back in the late '40s! Country stores that knew you would give you 2 pennies a bottle credit if you traded for a coke, and you didn't leave the store 'till you drank the coke and left the bottle! Usually a piece of bubblegum was also in the trade!  

• brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,904 Captain
    Bout the same in the late 60's-early 70's except I think they gave us a nickel per bottle. Used to sell them to Mr. Earl at the old Sing station in Sylvester.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,546 Admiral
    I think we all must have scoured the roads for deposit bottles in our youth. That was the only way a seven year old could come up with a few pennies.
    edited December 2018 #12
    I did my share.  A cane pole & a ready made rig was 75 cent.  A box of .22 shorts was .50 cent.  Believe it or not us brothers shared a single shot .22 it only cost $18.

We would go to the orange groves and shoot rabbits.  Get a dollar for a cleaned rabbit.
    Cool stc1993!
    God, save the South!
  • fishinbugfishinbug Posts: 736 Officer
    edited December 2018 #14
    Our go to spot as kids growing up in the Redlands on Bauer Dr. was what is now called Pioneer Guild Hall.  It was Anderson's to us and that was the place to cash in the $.02 bottles and the occasional treasure of a $.05 quart bottle.  Creaky wooden floors and dark coolness inside in the summer without such a thing called AC.  Our mango and avocado grove was a couple hundred yards away and we could see the store.  Crossing Redland Rd. was the biggest hazard back then. 

We took square dance lessons at the Fruit and Spice Park.  My Mom and Grandmother both taught ceramics at the Park and my sisters and brothers and I had free run of the fruit.  Neighbors' Dad worked at the Ag Experimental Station and he had all kinds of exotic plants that he taught me to tend.  That led to one day finding Thomas Edison's teeth. ;) 

Nostalgia is a powerful drug as one ages.  Thanks for the memories.

https://www.floridarambler.com/historic-florida-getaways/the-redland-rural-area-near-miami/

fishinbug,
          Thanks for sharing your past experience in Redlands.
    I have a friend here in St Petersburg who raves about “Coral Castle”.
    I haven’t seen it yet. 
    I have been to visit “Robert is Here”.
    Quite a funny name.
    God, save the South!
  • fishinbugfishinbug Posts: 736 Officer
    @skyway ande . I went to high school with Robert.  He was rich before he ever got to South Dade High. ;)
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    As we age we often "spend more time looking back on life than looking forward"....Good post & memories! Got me remembering for sure.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    ^^ well said ^^
    God, save the South!
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 23,939 Moderator
    As I get older, I keep looking forward, not backwards. That's not to say I do not think about the past and the things I enjoyed but I work on thinking about things to look forward to.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)