Timucuan 12/10

Finally I got a day off in over a month. I had been dying to go fishing and of course the weather sucks(just my luck.) So I went anyways wind blowing 8 to 10 and its 40 degrees. I tried everything in my tackle bag from top water to dragging a gulp on the bottom. I honestly thought I was going to get skunked and I froze my **** off for nothing. So I broke out the popping cork(I tend not to use the popping cork because you miss a lot of bites) and put a new penny gulp shrimp on it. First cast I finally catch a red after 5 hours of freezing my **** off. He's not the biggest but he's legal and he ate great. My first report on here btw. 

Replies

• artrecord224artrecord224 Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Great work. 
    If you don’t mind me asking, how do you fish the gulp under a popping cork. I’m new and trying to learn.
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Posts: 1,141 Officer
    welcome Red time!!  cool (freezing cold) first report!! and sucks you work so much but glad you had success!!  bet it ate good after all of that!
  • red_timered_time Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    If you don’t mind me asking, how do you fish the gulp under a popping cork. I’m new and trying to learn.
    I found that with artificial on a popping cork you have to be a little more aggressive with your pops on it. As soon as my popper hits the water I give it a good pop, about 20 to 35 seconds later another pop and so on. The key though is to reel at the same time as you pop it or your line will go slack causing you to miss the bite. As for rigging the gulp to the popper same way you would  to a jig head on a regular hook or you can use a really light jig head. Also you want your shrimp to be on the bottom so you need to know your water depth your fishing that way when you do those pops the shrimp or gulp will actually lift off the bottom during the action then sit back down on bottom causing the bait to look more natural to the fish. Hope this helps
    Thanks!
    Thanks!
  • scrobscrob Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Nice, persistence pays! Is it just me or does that fish look like it's floating against that hatch lid?
  • jawrayjawray Posts: 282 Deckhand
    Definitely a floating fish. I thought the same thing. Weird illusion.
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 617 Officer
    Yep..i thougt it was a sticker.  Good fishing! We've had plenty of bad westher fishing days lately...like tomorrow!! Most of us fish when can..not always when we should!🤣🤣🤣
  • tdogg85tdogg85 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Way to stick it out!