Broward Sewage Outfall

Does anyone have the Broward/Pompano discharge GPS coordinates? I can find the coordinates for the “Cuban Hole” off government cut but not the others in S. Florida.

Replies

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,670 Captain
    It's due east of the Hillsboro sea bouy in about 100ft of water.  Go there and if you don't smell and see the water swirling, you can still find it with your fishfinder.
  • ProfessorOProfessorO Posts: 255 Deckhand
    This is from a report. Please let us know it this works. cheers
    North Broward
    Latitude 26°15′00′′N
    Longitude 80°03′45′′W
    Discharge depth 107 ft
    Distance offshore 7,300 ft

South
    Latitude 26°01′04′′N
    Longitude 80°05′04′′W
    Discharge depth 93 ft
    Distance offshore 10,000 ft

The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.
  • KayakDivingKayakDiving Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Thank you ProfessorO. The South coordinates look correct so, I would assume the North coordinates are too.
  • KayakDivingKayakDiving Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    edited December 2018 #5
    I like your signature. A lot of people in this country seem to think that the goal of a scientist is to reaffirm their biases.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,141 Admiral
    I like your signature. A lot of people in this country seem to think that the goal of a scientist is to reaffirm their biases.
    @ProfessorO is good people you should check out the club he puts together, Sometimes he brings hotties from the U of M to them
    Silvies says Hi as well

Thanks!  Being an oceanographer and hearing people say that climate change is made up to get funding really gets me going. Luckily the mayor of Miami Beach has started the infrastructure changes that will be needed. Our best estimates show that S Florida is going to be underwater, the only debate is exactly when.  6 in to 6 ft  sea level rise by 2100 depending on what model, data, or theory.  My best GUESS is at least 2 ft and probably 3-4 ft.
    The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.
    @ProfessorO is good people you should check out the club he puts together, Sometimes he brings hotties from the U of M to them
    Silvies says Hi as well

THANKS!  Give my best to the misses,  quiet the hottie herself, who came to the club and met the man of her dreams.  Haven't been bringing any of the crew because of the different "climate" these days.
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Wasn’t all of Florida underwater before we started burning fossil fuels?
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,227 Officer
    edited December 2018 #10

Florida was under the ocean until the North American Ice Age started some two million years ago. Glaciers 8 times the height of the Empire State Building formed and this ice eventually lowered sea levels that changed the landscape and exposed what is now called Florida. Scientists do not know what caused the North American Ice Age that was still going on just 25,000 years ago that raised and lowered the level of the ocean depending on how much ice was being stored in glaciers.

Now this process is starting to reverse world wide and eventually low lying areas like Fla will be affected when the ice shelf’s melt and the ocean rises again. The big question is; did the industrial revolution that started 400 years ago accelerate this process when the growing humane population started to burn wood, coal and petroleum in huge quantities creating a greenhouse effect on the earth’s climate.

Giimoozaabi
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Maybe the weather is like the tide?  Cold to hot.  
  • Interesting fact about the outfall. It was supposed to be sunset-ted by 2017, but here we are dumping sewage in our Oceans.  New date is 2015 but as we know, by that time we may not have a real coral reef left in Florida.

For a lot of reasons we understand and don't understand, we are in the middle of the most devastating coral disease impact in the world. 25+ of our 40 reef building corals are affected, Once it hits a reef, within weeks, 65 to 100 of every 100 corals on the reef are dead.

The disease has spread all the way to Martin count and now progressing past Looe Key . Next operation of the coral rescue program will remove about 3000 corals from the path of the disease to save them. The corals will go to FWC, Nova SE, UM, Mote Marine and a few other study spots in Florida.  The goal with this operation is to save them and reproduce them for ultimate depopulation of our reefs.

Sorry to get off post, but certainly these outfalls have contributed the the degradation of South Florida coral reef environment.

Florida was under the ocean until the North American Ice Age started some two million years ago. Glaciers 8 times the height of the Empire State Building formed and this ice eventually lowered sea levels that changed the landscape and exposed what is now called Florida. Scientists do not know what caused the North American Ice Age that was still going on just 25,000 years ago that raised and lowered the level of the ocean depending on how much ice was being stored in glaciers.

Now this process is starting to reverse world wide and eventually low lying areas like Fla will be affected when the ice shelf’s melt and the ocean rises again. The big question is; did the industrial revolution that started 400 years ago accelerate this process when the growing humane population started to burn wood, coal and petroleum in huge quantities creating a greenhouse effect on the earth’s climate.

A+ except the big question is how fast did ....  Natural cycles are measured in tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands years. The present changes are happening at rates faster than this by at least an order of magnitude.  If you don't believe 99% of the scientists in the world, ask anybody that has lived on the coast for decades, sea level is definitely rising and the time is now for the needed infrastructure change. 
    Interesting fact about the outfall. It was supposed to be sunset-ted by 2017, but here we are dumping sewage in our Oceans.  New date is 2015 but as we know, by that time we may not have a real coral reef left in Florida.

For a lot of reasons we understand and don't understand, we are in the middle of the most devastating coral disease impact in the world. 25+ of our 40 reef building corals are affected, Once it hits a reef, within weeks, 65 to 100 of every 100 corals on the reef are dead.

The disease has spread all the way to Martin count and now progressing past Looe Key . Next operation of the coral rescue program will remove about 3000 corals from the path of the disease to save them. The corals will go to FWC, Nova SE, UM, Mote Marine and a few other study spots in Florida.  The goal with this operation is to save them and reproduce them for ultimate depopulation of our reefs.

Sorry to get off post, but certainly these outfalls have contributed the the degradation of South Florida coral reef environment.

yes. 2025?
    state keeps argues that all this water flows north and offshore. I and a few mathematicians from Caltech showed that this water definitely hits the coastline. 
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 666 Officer
    To simplify, try maintaining a reef aquarium and then it becomes apparent how the slightest changes affect the living animals (corals). I've dove and fished the Dania pipe extensively and can attest to the fish attracting qualities as well as the different substances spewing from the end of the pipe. Suffice to say, I won't eat anything from that area.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,066 Captain
    Most folks here in paradise (south Florida...) have very poor (or very short memories..).  Down here five years is a lifetime for quite a few....

I arrived here in 1971 (just out of the service - and here to attend school) and was pretty quickly caught by the fishing bug (understatement...).  By 1973 I had my first job on a boat - I worked charterboats, starting at Haulover then moved up to the old Castaways docks...  At any rate in winter and spring the "stinkhole" was where we caught most of our blue runners (premium sailfish bait - only second to goggle eyes back then...) and mates like me had wet hands in the sewage outfall every morning and also lots of little cuts and abrasions from handling those runners...).  I knew guys that washed their hands in pure bleach at the end of every day to kill potential infections - some successful -others not. Staph infections were common and you learned to deal with them.... 

Here's the thing about ocean sewer outfalls - they weren't the only source of raw sewage getting bled out into the ocean each day -way back when... In fact if you walked the beach (Miami Beach) behind every hotel along Collins Avenue at low tide - with sharp eyes it wasn't hard to see a little yellow stream here and there - most within fifty to a hundred feet of where folks were swimming....  I know they were forced to clean up years later (they certainly wouldn't have done it voluntarily...) so that's our history (at least from my perspective..).

I'm certain our world is warming (causes?  that you can argue about...).  What is certain, though, in places like Miami Beach is that good portions of it were built in places that they never should have allowed the first structure... All those years ago when I first came here portions of Miami Beach flooded every fall when the king tides were on... All of this was long before "global warming" or "climate change"  - or whatever the catch phrase is now.... And of course the monied interests, aided by the current crop of political types are hard at work figuring out ways of getting funding from all of us not foolish enough to build where it floods...

I'll stop here - you can get the direction I'm heading... As usual we rarely have any problems -we haven't caused ourselves.... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666