Grouper still exist in Broward County!

Went out of PE with some buddies early Sunday morning. I spent most of it in my bean bag chair watching them fly kites for sails as I worked through my Christmas party hangover. Hey, at least I made it to the boat!

While we were drifting, all of a sudden the sounder was lit up like a Christmas tree on the bottom. Since I only slow pitch jig for fish, I figured this would be a good time to get my butt up and do something lol. 

As soon as the jig hit the bottom I pitched it a few times and almost immediately got hit by this firetruck He made a hell of a run straight down, but I managed to get him turned, and he started floating about half way up. Definitely happy to see these guys still exist off Lauderdale!  The boys were 0-1 on sails but managed a respectable king on a live flat lined gogg.

If anyone is interested, I'll be doing a slow pitch jigging seminar at Capt. Harry's in Miami on Saturday, December 15th at 2pm. I'll be going through everything you need to know to get started.  I hope to see you all there!

Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
Temple Reef Pro Team
Aftco Pro Team
Accurate USA
Slow Pitch Jigger
Occasional Fish Catcher

Replies

• xeniaxenia Posts: 452 Deckhand
    Wow, surprised it didn't get away, considering it only had 3 out of 4 hooks in it! 
  • benwah22benwah22 Posts: 161 Deckhand
    edited December 2018 #3
    The one in the mouth was hanging by a thread, one in the neck had pulled about 2 inches (and was almost out) and the one in the side was barely in the skin.  And now we know why we use 4 hooks slow pitch jigging
    Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Temple Reef Pro Team
    Aftco Pro Team
    Accurate USA
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,781 Captain
    That's a nice one !!  I have taken a few shorts in shallow off PE with live gogs on the kayak.  Good to see a keeper !  I went to your seminar at Chaos Rods -- slow pitch jigging is good stuff !
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,729 Captain
    Nice catch.