"Shallow Water Beasts" Trolling Homosassa 12/7/2018

Got a call from Butchbal about meeting over at "Old Mill Bar", so we headed over for a few Margaritas with him and Mrs. Butchbal. So, we get to talking grouper trolling and I tell him me and Gary are going to brave the choppy seas on Friday in "Ruff One" and he could have a spot. You don't have to ask Butch twice when it comes to trolling. He wants to go, and he says "why not take his boat". Well, it didn't take me long either to say "yes"! With the way the seas have been lately, I think going in his boat is a good choice. Well, we started celebrating our upcoming  grouper trip and quite a few Margaritas bit the dust. 
        Crew is settled and we are heading out to fish only shallow areas located southwest or west of Homosassa. We have been fishing north the last two trolling outing and the results have been awful. I don't know what might have made those trips awful, but all I know was we did not catch a thing. First stop was at 20ft due west. Put the plugs in and grouper start hammering them right away. Boy it is nice to see those rods bending after those last two trips. But, all shorts. Nice bite but no keepers there. Make a move to another 20ft spot farther south. Same results, bite is decent. This time I get a 25in keeper. Finally broke the ice. Shorts again, so we decide to head back in to even shallower areas.
 Head to 15ft a few miles to the north, and start pulling rapala 20s. A few shorts and then Butch gets one of those rod bending, drag pulling shallow beast. Nice fight and in the boat he comes.

We hit a lull and since we didn't leave the dock till late(Margaritas haze) time is running out. We wanted to get back before dark, so I tell the crew " Lets head to some really shallow area in 12ft". With time running out, Butch changes both rods plugs out to YoZuri 5inch 15ft divers, with a color that I haven't seen. A rust red with orange flashy belly(he latter tells me he bought 12 of those plugs). We put the plugs in and we get one of those bites that you dream about. My drags are locked down, so when my drag starts singing, I know we are on to some big groupers. Mines starts talking. Nice fight and another shallow water beast comes in.

Then Garys rod bends over and he puts a beast on board.

Needless to say we are in a major bite!! Now it's Butch's turn. He gets tied into  one that's making his drag sing. Butch gets him to the back of the boat and he gets off. Bummer! We pick up a few more shorts and we realize that's we are out of time. We leave a drag busting bite and head in.

Excellent trip. You always learn things on almost every trip, and this trip had its highlights. We worked our plugs while trolling, pulling them and then letting them free fall. Seemed to help. Changed out plug colors  more often. That last bite was an example. That YoZuri plug was the ticket. You really never know, but that plug seemed to set those grouper off.  It was cool to see those big old grouper mouths with that little plug stuffed in their mouths! ( I am heading to the internet soon to find me a few). 
Enjoy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,571 Captain
    ya'll are amazing

great quality
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 962 Officer
    nice grouper, i must be doin something wrong cause i haven’t seen grouper like that in over a year, not even on our middle grounds trip
  • jadman69jadman69 Posts: 135 Deckhand
    Well now I'm officially jealous....Good job switching out the lures until you found the right one they wanted.  Like you said "you always seem to learn something new each time you go out." With only a few more trips left this year, I hope to get on them myself.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,402 Officer
    Nice fishing 👍
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,700 Captain
    You guys got into some really nice fish. Nice catchin'  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 561 Officer
    Nice job Gentlemen
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,516 Captain
    I wish that I could troll with my boat. My Yamaha F250 makes so much oil when I run it at less than 4400 rpm that the oil level goes up to the point where it comes through the crankcase breather vent and fouls up my plugs.  5 hr of trolling and my oil fills up the crankcase and starts to come out of the vent. This has been a problem for the past 9 years. 

Bottom fishing for grouper is fun, but my boat looks like a crime scene after every trip with bait, chum, and fish guts all over the place. 

I like trolling on Butch's boat with the deck chairs and inline hooks on the plugs. Cleanup is a breeze relative to what I need to do. 

Tom, you realize that you could be drinking margaritas while sitting in those deck chairs waiting for a rod to go off, right?  B)
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,059 Moderator
    Good to see !  Solid fish.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 455 Deckhand
    edited December 2018 #11
    Sometimes spur of the moment trips turn out to be the best ones. This was one of those times. I had decided not to fish because it looked like it might be a bit bumpy but Tom's invite changed my mind and we decide to take out the "Bad Fish"  for a little more room for 3 fishermen. The seas were only a little bumpy in the morning and calmed down to 1 to 2's by noon. Anyway it was a great trip with Tom and Gary, thanks for the invite!

We caught 15 or 16 gags total if you count the shorts, but we ended up with a 25", two 28"s+, and a solid 30" in the box. It broke my heart when a real drag burner came unhooked at the boat. Smaller plugs seemed to be the ticket for provoking a strike, the grouper we cleaned had 4" to 5" baitfish in their stomachs, including a lane snapper. Thanks Tom and Gary, I'm looking forward to another trip.

Merry Christmas to all my forum friends!

• Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,991 Captain
    I wish that I could troll with my boat. My Yamaha F250 makes so much oil when I run it at less than 4400 rpm that the oil level goes up to the point where it comes through the crankcase breather vent and fouls up my plugs.  5 hr of trolling and my oil fills up the crankcase and starts to come out of the vent. This has been a problem for the past 9 years. 

Bottom fishing for grouper is fun, but my boat looks like a crime scene after every trip with bait, chum, and fish guts all over the place. 

I like trolling on Butch's boat with the deck chairs and inline hooks on the plugs. Cleanup is a breeze relative to what I need to do. 

Tom, you realize that you could be drinking margaritas while sitting in those deck chairs waiting for a rod to go off, right?  B)
    Yes, sitting in Butch's chairs are the ticket for trolling. Beats standing up all day. It also lets you hold the rod and work it. And double yes on the Margaritas!! Wait a minute, how are we going to catch grouper if we are drinking? Bet we can figure it out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 343 Deckhand
    Good job guys.  Great report
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    Nice.  B)
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,342 Officer
    killer report!  congrats on making it happen!!
  • bonebone Posts: 1,139 Officer
    edited December 2018 #16
    Nice gags!! We went last Friday and trolled for 2-3 hours over known spots. No keepers. Said the hell with it and dropped sardines on a spot in 35’ and we done in 20 minutes. I catch fish trolling maybe 10% of the time. Always catch them bottom fishing. 
  • SevenweightSevenweight Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Great report as usual, Tom!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,553 AG
    bone said:
    Nice gags!! We went last Friday and trolled for 2-3 hours over known spots. No keepers. Said the hell with it and dropped sardines on a spot in 35’ and we done in 20 minutes. I catch fish trolling maybe 10% of the time. Always catch them bottom fishing. 
    nice seeing fish iced and kept well!
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
    butchbal said:
    Sometimes spur of the moment trips turn out to be the best ones. This was one of those times. I had decided not to fish because it looked like it might be a bit bumpy but Tom's invite changed my mind and we decide to take out the "Bad Fish"  for a little more room for 3 fishermen. The seas were only a little bumpy in the morning and calmed down to 1 to 2's by noon. Anyway it was a great trip with Tom and Gary, thanks for the invite!

We caught 15 or 16 gags total if you count the shorts, but we ended up with a 25", two 28"s+, and a solid 30" in the box. It broke my heart when a real drag burner came unhooked at the boat. Smaller plugs seemed to be the ticket for provoking a strike, the grouper we cleaned had 4" to 5" baitfish in their stomachs, including a lane snapper. Thanks Tom and Gary, I'm looking forward to another trip.

Merry Christmas to all my forum friends!

small lanes in the belly and orange plugs getting bit....very interesting!

a northeast lurker here that has to go 60 miles to 120' to get solid grouper, and absolutely love reading these reports, drooling over the pictures. nice work guys!
    we need more internet money
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,402 Officer
    Nice fishing Bone
  • Jas2Jas2 Posts: 208 Deckhand
    Awesome catch guys .....will be over there this weekend and give it a go !!
    Gonna` be some **** good eatin` there !   

BTW....where are the pics of those Yo-Zuri`s ?  I love Yo-Zuri plugs ...prolly have your color so will keep switching up like ya`ll did !!   Once again ....great job !
  • fishinfamfishinfam JacksonvillePosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Fished out of Cedar Key on the 23rd. Awesome flat day, but not a fish to be found. Was slow trolling 6” orange deep diver Yo Zuri, but couldn’t lock in on anything. Maybe rough seas last weak stirred things up too much.... maybe I was too deep for the plugs. We were fishing 25-30 ft. Would like to try again in a few days in shallower water over structure.  Would have liked to have gotten my son on a big fish- he has started calling himself “the fish repellant”. 
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,991 Captain
    In the depth you mentioned I use the nomad 5 1/2 in plugs and the rapala 30. It seems that the yozuri don't dig down deeper where I want the plug to be. For that depth I put out 90 to 100 ft of line.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,059 Moderator
    Welcome aboard fishinfam !  Looking forward to seeing your boy holding up a nice one.
    "You'll get your weather"