Gogs

CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 389 Deckhand
Do you use them?...catch them?...buy them?...or just raid others bait pens?!   :/
I used to catch them predawn near Pompano pier but since it's reconstruction all that pounding of new piles has kept them away!

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

Replies

• xeniaxenia Posts: 357 Deckhand
    Yes, when I catch them.  Only at night on the reef.  No way, too expensive.  No, would never raid someone else's pen.
  • zh50zh50 Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    gogs are good bait, but you need to be fishing in the dark till the sun starts to crack. normal price is $70-$90 a dozen depending on availability and weather or not there is a local tournament going on. If 4am isn't your thing then you may want to catch runners. troll the beach with size 16 sabikis with no weight. runners can be caught all day and are almost as productive as gogs.
  • flknifemakerflknifemaker Posts: 127 Deckhand
    Every time I fish out of Jupiter we catch gogs first to ensure a productive day of slay.
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,048 Captain
    edited December 2018 #5
    Buy them from two guys at Jupiter.  Yes - they are big $$$$.  Oh well.  I'll bet "raiding" another's bait pen is a Florida felony.  Seems Florida is big on felonies for this type of crime.  Just  a thought.
    Probably 3-5 years for a raid of that type.
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 446 Deckhand
    O just a good old fashion  a** beating😁
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 1,916 Captain
    edited December 2018 #8
    Do you use them?...catch them?...buy them?...or just raid others bait pens?!   :/

Yes Yes Yes Yes
  • JWPBJWPB Posts: 179 Deckhand
    Saw some guy slow trolling sabiki in 100 north of BBI yesterday.  not sure what the bait was but he was filling his live well mid morning and the schools marked easily on depth sounder. 
    Jupiter 29FS
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 1,916 Captain
    JWPB said:
    Saw some guy slow trolling sabiki in 100 north of BBI yesterday.  not sure what the bait was but he was filling his live well mid morning and the schools marked easily on depth sounder. 
    Blue runners. They are there all year but get hit pretty hard in the winter when bait is few and far between.
  • ameristratameristrat Posts: 133 Deckhand
    He was in 100’ of water trolling sabikis? Huh - never heard of anyone trolling Sabikis that deep
    100 miles*
  • JWPBJWPB Posts: 179 Deckhand
    I could not tell what he was doing, a few lines out and going slow so I assumed slow trolling live bait...... till he reeled in.  he had 3-4 on per line and was filling a live well.  

Maybe for an afternoon or next day kite trip but yes, he was around 100 foot depth.
    Jupiter 29FS
  • ameristratameristrat Posts: 133 Deckhand
    Crazy he wasn’t getting just covered up in bullet Bonita!
  • GRSCGRSC Posts: 939 Officer
    ...or just raid others bait pens?!   :/

I stop by 2amigo's pen and raid the hell out of it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ldavid516ldavid516 Posts: 309 Deckhand
    1-2 knts . lg sabiki, 4- 8 oz bank sinker
    50-60' has always been better for me up here  but ... :/