Boat tow if needed around Fort Myers Beach area

I have towing insurance on my boat for $2,500. My question is if I fish the area around Pine Island, Sanibel and Fort Myers Beach always in sight of shore what would towing  cost be to nearest Yamaha engine repair or  take to Punta Rasa ramp? Also which is the better tow service in that area? Appreciate your input and suggestions.

Replies

• ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    You will get both praise and horror stories from both parties, Tow Boat US and Seatow. Personally I have nothing but praise for seatow the few times I've used them over the many years. I also have the trailer pkg and a few yrs back I broke down in  the middle of the everglades and had my truck and boat towed to our home on Big Pine Key. I called seatow international who handles the trailer division and explained my situation and they covered complete towing bill for trailer ($989 bill). Response time on water has been less than 30 mins each time during peak boating hrs.
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 757 Officer
    towboat us has the larger fleet in the local area as well as more members for a reason. I worked for them for over 5 yrs and can vouch they are a great local franchise.  Not here to bash the yella fella... but do your homework with them
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • austjjaustjj Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    I appreciate both of your input, thank you. Reading the contract and cost, it seems my boat insurance will cost the cost of a two.
    not a two, but a tow, sorry
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 757 Officer
    austjj, be advised that using your regular boat insurance for the tow can cause your rates to go up, or possibly even drop your coverage if you have too many incidents. Both the SeaTow and Tow Boat US packages are seperate from your main insurance... Also, as CCrider said about the trailer package, it is worth its weight in gold. TowBoat Us has it as a supplement to your on the water package for only $14 per yr extra. It covers any boat your towing as well as your vehicle while in tow... so if your truck were to break down on the way to the ramp or down to the keys, they would tow both your truck and your trailer to a repair facility or destination.... 
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • horseradishhorseradish Posts: 86 Greenhorn
    Use Progressive as your insurer and towing insurance is included (they call it "Boat & Float". Used them twice last year with prompt Charlotte Harbor service.
    A SeaStrike 180 with 115 Yam , A Calm Wife and a Spunky Cairn Terrier. IT'S ALL GOOD!
    Thank horseradish, I can get Progressive custom insurance which includes Boat and Float. And its $65 dollars cheaper than what I have now, plus I would have to pay Sea Tow or Boat Us $180. So savings over $245. Thank you for your input. I am going to print out my boat policy and compare the 2. I have been very happy with my coverage and how they respond quickly when needed. But I have to be smart about this.
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,242 Captain
    edited January 11 #9
    Use Progressive as your insurer and towing insurance is included (they call it "Boat & Float". Used them twice last year with prompt Charlotte Harbor service.
    Good to hear.  I have Progressive and the towing is optional (but reasonable) it is called SIGN AND GLIDE on my card.  Assume the same thing as BOAT AND FLOAT?  The picture is of my wallet size ID card.  Blew up larger than life in the attachment.  LOL.

Just looked it up.  $50.00 additional premium.  Standard insurance language.  Covers out to 75 nautical miles.  If I'm ever out 75 miles the EPIRB is already beeping.  Haven't yet used them but glad to have both the insurance and the EPIRB.

Not to hijack but they just called off the search around Stump Pass for a guy that in all likelihood fell out of his boat while fishing alone.  RIP.    

Horseradish and joekat46, did you do the online boat insurance or go with an agent. I was with Nationwide for all my insurance, they switch auto over to Progressive and save me at least $300 same coverage. I will call my agent or just do online, quote online was $71 less than my Nationwide one, but not sure if that will go up using my agent
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,242 Captain
    I did it on line.  If your agent sells Progressive get his quote.  Always a puzzle how a company like Progressive will compete with it's own agents.  My Dad was an independent agent for 40 years so I'm not just blowing smoke on this.  Good luck.