Port Canaveral wahoo question

Does anyone here target wahoo out of port Canaveral during the winter months? I've been reading about the wahoo fishery in northeast Florida mainly from St Augustine to Jax and I hear that the wahoo fishing can be really good during the winter. I've been fishing out of Canaveral for years and I haven't really heard of too many people targeting wahoo specifically. I have caught a few (randomly) over the years while trolling for dolphin but thought about getting into the high speed game to try and put a few more in the boat. I thought about trailering up to St Augustine to give it a try but if the fish are here why go north? Thanks

Replies

• WalkinOnWaterWalkinOnWater Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    The steeples out of Canaveral in 200-220  can stack up with wahoo. Its been a while since I have trolled for them but they are there. I don't think as many people target them as in the north because the fishing is not as consistent but they can stack up there for sure at times.
    - "Walkin On Water"
    Contender Fishing
    WDE
  • greatapegreatape Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    thanks for the reply....For some reason I thought the steeples were out of ponce. Anyway I was just trying to figure out if it would be worth the drive north or try here out of Canaveral. If I go I will post update
  • TarpunTarpun Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Called the Cones out of the Port.
  • WalkinOnWaterWalkinOnWater Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    yes, the Cones..
    - "Walkin On Water"
    Contender Fishing
    WDE
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 740 Officer
    a theory i have heard from the guy who made fast trolling famous in jacksonville Don Combs:
    Wahoo are off jacksonville year round, however due to their preference in water temp they are often scattered in the summer they could be in 1200' or they could be in 80'. since they prefer water 70* or more, in january that takes from the beach to about 40 miles off shore out of play(too cold) therefore they are much easier to find as you can eliminate such a big chunk of water. heading out toward the ledge, once the temps hit 69 lines in. from there troll over all your favorite beeliner spots- ledges wrecks etc. also look for obvious signs of bait. i dont see why it wouldnt work out of canaveral, but maybe since the water doesnt get as cold perhaps they dont stack up in as tight of an area.
    we need more internet money
  • greatapegreatape Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Thanks Andrew, I heard of that theory as well. Maybe they are just a bit more scattered off Canaveral than north Fl due to slightly warmer temps?
  • beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 907 Officer
    Also... if you can find the kings you can find the wahoo.
    They love eating those things.
    Also... if you can find the kings you can find the wahoo.
    They love eating those things.
    they also love beeliners and big blue runners, small jacks etc. 
    greatape said:
    Thanks Andrew, I heard of that theory as well. Maybe they are just a bit more scattered off Canaveral than north Fl due to slightly warmer temps?
    i think thats it, and why most people drag meat as they still get a shot at hooos but also get the mahi blackfin sails etc. i am hoping to try once it gets good and cold and will report back