Stolen Tree stand solution!

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 806 Officer
edited December 5 in General Hunting #1
Solved!  gps tracker
For $45.. i'm gonna give it a go.  Might open up a camera or two and see if there's room to squeeze one in them too.
It's got a microphone!  THIS could be interesting!

Replies

• bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,047 Officer
    Looks interesting, but has a $14.95 a month fee and says the battery only lasts 2-3 days......
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,512 Captain
    I heard game commission in other states have used them to catch tree stand theives. Apparently hunters were complaining about stands being stolen.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 806 Officer
    I was expecting to have to augment the battery.  I missed the monthly fee.. that sucks.  I could just buy a stand every year.  BUT, I wouldn't have the satisfaction of getting my stand back from a thief.  And maybe hearing some interesting conversations rotflmao
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,055 Admiral
    One extra camera per stand. Mount hidden, or high or wherever it will not be easily seen and have it aimed at the stand.

Won't keep miscreants from stealing a stand but with the whole social media craze posting pictures of the clowns that do steal one can go a long way.

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,137 AG
    Some type of explosive would be far better....a few dead criminals is no real loss compared with a nice tree stand.... 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Sorry to hear about that.

Did you have your stand cabled or locked?  I left mine in place for 3 days 

I pretty much carry mine in and out.  Use a cart to carry it when it is a long journey to the stand site. 

I think that's why so many guys leave ladder stands in the woods - not many folks will lug those off.
    I didn't have one stolen.  Just been real reluctant to leave mine.  It wasn't a cheap one.   I'm fine leaving it for a few days, especially when I'm hunting. 
    I'm starting to think, more and more, a cart is in my future.  Even if it won't get me all the way.  Anything would help. Of course, I'm not willing to do that until I DRAG my first deer out!
    That or I just need multiple, cheap, used stands that I won't loose sleep over if they go missing.  Unfortunately, this isn't really the time of year to buy a used stand.  Unless you're looking for one that holds a Christmas tree lol
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,017 Admiral
    We would eliminate a lot of the BS if leaving stands in the woods was banned... had a group move in on an area I loved to hunt only to see them leave stands everywhere. Less hunter to hunter conflicts if they need to be carried in and out daily. 
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 503 Officer
    I hunt private land and 80 percent of the time I use a climber. I never leave it in the woods. It's so easy to pack in and out once you get a good routine going. 
    We would eliminate a lot of the BS if leaving stands in the woods was banned... had a group move in on an area I loved to hunt only to see them leave stands everywhere. Less hunter to hunter conflicts if they need to be carried in and out daily. 
    Exactly right!... we hunted a quota hunt area this weekend, we arrived the morning of the second hunt. I went to a spot I have hunted in the past, and nobody was parked at the fire break you walk down to get there. I climb down around 10am and walk about 20 yds past the tree I was hunting and there’s a climber attached to a tree. I walk down another 300 yds and another climber on a tree.... I walk back to my truck and see a ribbon saying first and second gun 2 hunters...I’m betting they actually only had the second hunt, but wanted to deter other hunters from going there during the first hunt because nobody was parked there for 2 days that we hunted!.....it’s a bunch of BS with people locking up spots!  First one there gets it! I pay no attention to ribbon and usually put them in my pocket if I see them.
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 22 Greenhorn
    ribbons are littering    90% of people who use them never take them down      you know who you are,    thats why i remove every ribbon i find whether im gonna hunt that spot or not,  now you know who i am.   
    leaving stands is litter as well.. no pity for people who think they were stolen. Lots end up in a deep ditch.
    Now if an elderly man or anyone w a disability wants to leave a stand no issue there.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 2,860 Captain
    Personally I would never even think of leaving a stand in any WMA. 
    Have belonged to many clubs where we left out stands in the same place year after year. At Buck & Boar my wife & I would leave our stands, huts, in the same place for years. Loved it. 
    Have hunted Avon Park, Green Swamp. Richloam, Croom, Ocala, Gulf Hammock, and Aucilla many times. The only way we would leave a stand was if we were going to hunt it the next day. 
    leaving stands is litter as well.. no pity for people who think they were stolen. Lots end up in a deep ditch.
    Now if an elderly man or anyone w a disability wants to leave a stand no issue there.
    The counter point is that someone who touches...and removes it to where it "ends up in a deep ditch"....is someone of low moral character. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Maybe 1, 2 or 3 people, if that, will ever lay eyes on my stand.  Pretty sure it won't bother them either.  As stated, the problem is, they may want it for themselves.
    If anyone wants ladder stands for cheap, a summer walk in a  WMA could reap a big harvest.  Imagine if the scrap guys were a little more enthusiastic?  They'd clean up the woods after every WMA hunt.  LOL!

I agree with the no stands left on public land unless tagged with a handicap tag authorized by FWCC/LEO. 

Downside of leaving your stands/cams in the woods is that you advertise the area for someone else's consideration.

Rich M said:
    If anyone wants ladder stands for cheap, a summer walk in a  WMA could reap a big harvest.  Imagine if the scrap guys were a little more enthusiastic?  They'd clean up the woods after every WMA hunt.  LOL!

I agree with the no stands left on public land unless tagged with a handicap tag authorized by FWCC/LEO. 

Downside of leaving your stands/cams in the woods is that you advertise the area for someone else's consideration.

That system would never be gamed...LOL...

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Plenty of good people w good morals have ditched stands put up to reserve spots... 
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 2,860 Captain
    edited December 6 #20
    "The counter point is that someone who touches...and removes it to where it "ends up in a deep ditch"....is someone of low moral character."  The lowest!
    However, "Plenty of good people w good morals have ditched stands put up to reserve spots... "  If you are talking about WMA I strongly agree. Have hunted many WMA 's in Florida. Never had or heard of a 'reserved spot' in a Management Area. 
    Suggest joining a hunting club, they are all over Florida, if a 'reserve spot' is desired. 
    Scru stand removal, back in my day the dudes in Steinhatchee would flatten your tires for simply having a Broward tag...leave a stand, ooohhh heck no that thing would be a pile of twisted metal out in the main trial for all to see.
    Plenty of good people w good morals have ditched stands put up to reserve spots... 
    Bullsnot.... and anyone who condones said activity is no better....Theft is theft...no matter how you want to frame it. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckmanJR said:
    Bullsnot.... and anyone who condones said activity is no better....Theft is theft...no matter how you want to frame it. 
    FWC put a sign up this year at Corbett stating they will be removing stands that are left out in the field after the season. It’s about time in my opinion. I’m for nobody leaving stands in the woods unless you are disabled and have a permit to do so.
    The wording is very clear in the WMA brochures of when they can be brought in....and when they must be removed.
    The signage is IMHO superfluous...  Read the brochure and understand...and comply.
    I know at several WMA's near me... the stands are GPS'ed....and checked after season and they do remove. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Man talk about a double talker... in one post its bullsnot and condoning it is no better, then another post saying its ok for THEM to remove? 
    Man talk about a double talker... in one post its bullsnot and condoning it is no better, then another post saying its ok for THEM to remove? 
    This is going to be a great day.....

I refuse to believe you are *SO STUPID*...as to not understand the difference between the lawful removal of said tree stands in clear violation of WMA regs....and theft.

Make no mistake...I feel you are extremely stupid.... But still.....  :D
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I don't see it as theft - if it was trash on the side of the road it is fine to pick up but an illegal stand in the woods?
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,772 Captain
    meateater said:
    ribbons are littering    90% of people who use them never take them down      you know who you are,    thats why i remove every ribbon i find whether im gonna hunt that spot or not,  now you know who i am.   
    Not necessarily... I do the same, so it might be me.
    Does SJWMD have that lawful removal status, or do they need to get a warrant to obtain someone elses property? Just ban leaving them in the woods problem solved.
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 22 Greenhorn
    this year is 4th year in a row i climbed same pine tree in corbett   oops in a undisclosed wma    always 2 ladder stands set up in spot within 100yds of me, they do move them around year to year but there set up week before archery and stay until end of general gun    here,s weird thing this year  think i hunted 6 days archery 3 blackpowder 3 gen gun so far and no ones hunted them,, got 2 cameras one right off trail im sure they use and never any boot prints in muddy ditch you would cross , no buggy tracks   nothing    this why i pay no attention to ladder stands or ribbons    i use a climber   if i show up and someones in the stand i always got a back up .  4 yrs never seen these guys but stands always set up.      
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,948 Captain
    edited December 7 #31
    I leave a climber and a ladder stand in the woods for weeks at a time, both locked with a cable. Never an issue so far. If they want it that bad then I guess they can have it. I can't see going to the effort to cut the lock and then haul it out personally.

I hunt Steinhatchee, never an issue and I see stands up all year too, usually home made junk, but stands no less.

Also I am not a member of any club, can't afford that I only hunt public land.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.