Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Picked up a new sled

It was time to sell the Sea Hunt and upgrade. She was a great boat but, after 5 years of doing charters, I have a better idea of what boat layout I really need for my charter business now. Shes a 2019 Pathfinder HPS 2300, powered by a 250 Yamaha VMAX SHO.

I absolutely hated having a T-Top. Rods get broken via hitting the t-top on occasion but, more than anything, the added weight and wind drag on those windy days cause the trolling motor to work a lot harder. We do a lot of casting on my boat, especially in the Fall, Winter, and Spring. Not having the overhead obstacle in the way will make life a lot easier. I have a boat umbrella coming for the summer months when the heat is unbearable. Simply stick it in a rod holder when you need shade. When I want it out of the way, I simply close it down and put it away. No permanent hurdles.

Another feature that instantly sold me on the Pathfinder is its bilge and center console accessibility. They both open up nicely making it easy to get in there and replace pumps as needed as well as being able to access my batteries without trouble. the front of the CC opens up like a car door giving you full access. I can just about get inside the cc if I need to.

I made sure to get 2 trolling motors for the boat. 36V MK Terrova. The newer models are really nice machines and have really come a long way since the model I last used. The external heading censor and jog feature is money. I have a quick release installed on both units and the switch is as easy as pulling a pin.

In some of the pictures you'll see dual Power Poles. I actually had those removed. They were installed on a wing bracket. I felt like having them back there all the time would be another hurdle on Bull Red and Tarpon trips. They definitely had to go.

The windshield and grab rail both fold down adding another foot of overhead clearance. This is huge for me sense I like fishing Pablo Creek and the bridge has a low clearance.

This boat has a lot of upgrades on it. I added some stuff since I took these pictures. Too lazy to take new ones.

Brett and his crew at Atlantic Coast took great care of us. They're definitely a one stop shop. All in one deal. Paint, gel, and fiberglass repair, rigging, engine work, you name it. I look forward to many years of working with them.

Replies

• livebaitlivebait Posts: 793 Officer
    one of the most well thought -out boats on the water. Congratulations!
  • artrecord224artrecord224 Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Nice boat. Look forward to bloody deck photos!
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 911 Officer
    Congrats on your new ride.  On my boat, I had a mini t-top made. Just wide enough to hold a life jacket t-bag.  It is skinnier than the console, so the fishing poles go on the side of the t-top. Two pipes come down to the leaning post. Have 5 rod holders on it. 3 on a bar going across, and 2 on the pipes coming down to the leaning post.  Nice also to have something up top to mount speakers, vhf antennae, nav lights, ect. Just a thought for your new boat. hardly any drag for my trolling motor. Also have my fire extinguisher mounted on the forward pipe with an offroad Velcro extinguisher holder. Nice to just be able to point to the extinguisher when the man pulls you over.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    Cool....New boats are always fun !!

That one is slick, and in great shape, wiring looks immaculate.....congrats.
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,796 Captain
    looks killer MM!  congrats!
  • ricksurf1ricksurf1 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Great choice...Congrats ! I have a 2016 and really envy the new improved console access.
    What prop was selected ?
    Is a sonar installed in front of step?
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer
    Congrats on the new rig, Steve!

If you you haven’t prop shopped yet, don’t. Check out the Mercury Bravo 1 FS in 22 pitch. You’re welcome to test mine if you want. Fuel burn is great and hole shot is insane! I see 59-60 with full inshore gear, full live wells, 65qt cooler, two fat guys and 60 gallons of fuel. Light on fuel and gear, but with trolling motor and 5 batteries, I see 63.5-64. 
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,974 Captain
    Im able to get her up to 5500 RPM now but I still dont think thats right. should be hitting around 65 mph. I have my prop through Atlantic Coast marine. I just need to bring her back in to have it swapped for something with more pitch. I prefer to stay with a Yamaha prop if I can.
    Edit, or less pitch. Whichever. Not very familiar with how props work.
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer

Good luck on getting them to change it....I was so frustrated by the ordeal that I reached out to Skip at MBG, and he said it's up to the dealer to set the boat up with a prop. I'd guess they strapped an Power Tech OFX/4 on there in 20 pitch. It's quick to plane and handles well, but hard to turn once up to speed and slow on top end. If that's the prop they set you up with, you won't break 60 with it and you'll blow it out of the water before you trim it up for more than 58 mph. I think Brett at ACM will work with you, but I was going through the salesman I bought the boat from and we was on his way out. And, you won't hit 65 either...not even with the Yamaha HS4 in 23 pitch that was on the performance bulletin. I had my boat out at ACM last week and Brett and Mark both noted the prop I'm running and know it's dialed in, so I would guess boats coming from them in the future will be outfitted with the Bravo FS in 22p. 

I will say a guy on another forum just ran the same prop I recommended on his 23 and saw 64 and small change with him, fishing partner and inshore gear. That was going with the current wherever he lives. He ran 62 and change against the current. You rarely run light or empty Steve, so I wouldn't prop that boat for those big numbers up top, it's not worth the loss down low or in the mid-range. I ran a lot of props before this one gave me the out of the box performance I wanted....Sure it's no speed demon, but it does cruise faster than my boat boat topped out at. And backing off to 37-3800 rpm, you'll see 4 - 4.2 mpg at roughly 38-40 mph.

Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
    That good advice Twirp. I may just stay with the one I have. I often run with a full crew. Getting on plain easier is more of a priority for me.
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,222 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #13
    Nice boat choice, outfitted a few of them and am impressed as well.

I'm surprised you dont go with a Rhodan with as much time as you spend in heavy current. I'm still a big fan of MK and currently still use the Ulterra mostly for convenience factor, but MK can not compare to Rhodan in thrust and efficiency. We have put several on boats up to 35 Contenders, Freemans, etc and have been blown away that they can hold such huge boats.

We pair the Rhodan with 3 group 31 agm's and a Stealth max pack that charges off both a/c at home and the main engine(s), while at sea and this combo, setup properly, can hold almost any trailerable vessel all day.

Have you tried the Stealth, or does your batteries last long for your needs enough without one?

You can see almost daily large vessel installs on my FB page 
    Boattronics of North Florida.

Cheers and welcome to the MBC family, you'll love her.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
    I came really close to getting the Rhodan. The only reason was the repair process. Wasn't crazy about having to box the unit up and shipping it off every time it brakes. The convenience of being able to drop the MK off with Christine is hard to beat. Not even a 5 minute drive from the boat ramp. I do agree that the Rhodan seems like a better TM. You seeing a lot of MK complaints about them zigzagging left and right a lot while at spot lock? Only does it when currents are heavy. I went out in my buddies Sterling and noticed his did the same thing. When your fishing from the casting decks this gets sketchy. My buddy Gilbert almost went swimming because of this a few times. Wondering if there's a fix for this problem.
    Ok so I just spoke with Christine about it and she walked me through how to remedy the problem. Guess you have to run it on the legacy setting and the zigzagging issue goes away.
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,222 Admiral
    Christine is awesome, great customer service right there.

I've only had one customer break a Rhodan so far. Eli Jensen smoked one on his 31 Contender, they had him a new one delivered the next day. 

Since then no issues.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    There is really only a couple of parts of the Rhodan that can have a problem.....and both are easily remedied even by unskilled mechanics.....( like everyday joe )

During the snapper season ...( yipeee 6 whole days !!! ).....mine decided that it would just wrap itself up by going in circles while finding spot lock......drove me crazy !!

And not wanting to ship it back....I called Kyle, on Monday after the first weekend........he sent me two pieces for the head unit that just plugged in and the problem was solved.....no more winding up the power cord !!

Not  A HICCUP SINCE.......

SIMPLE IS SOMETIMES THE BEST MEDICINE.  Thats why I like the manual deploy, and retrieve, and have a self serviceable machine that is overbuilt, in my opinion.

JUST SAYIN'......
    Its all good. If I start running into excessive problems with the MK, Ill make the switch. I'm committed now though. I have two of them. Ones still new in the box as a spare, the other is on the boat. Gonna be a while before I'm back on the market for a couple of motors. In my business I gotta have a motor so no matter what brand I get, I'm getting 2. Learned my lesson after losing a lot of work having only 1 motor. **** thing was broken a good third of the time. Then again, that was the older model Terrova. This newer model feels a lot better built imo. Quite a bit smarter too.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,613 Admiral
    Nice sled.  Now bloody it up.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you