FPI- Mega Mutton, Lots of kings-12/3

BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,113 Officer
So Big wave Dave and I headed 18 miles north in 80 feet of water. It was a bumpy ride as the south winds that looked calm close to the beach wernt so calm off shore. We anchored up and caught a steady variety of lanes and triggers with an a steady bite from the kingfish on the flatlines. Once we limited out on kings we had to stow the flatlines as all we were getting were more kings. We had been hoping for a repeat of an unusual catch from earlier. A very large Mutton came up from the bottom in 80 feet and took a dead sardine off Daves   flatline on top. The wind was howling and the current was strong so we know, with no wheight on the rig, that the bait was right on top. Dave an I broke off at least 10 big fish that took us into the rocks. Im sure some were Nurse sharks but I believe others were more mega muttons that we just couldnt handle.

Replies

• P91473P91473 Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    Great job, especially anchoring up in that slop yesterday. 
  • SansPeurSansPeur Orlando, FLPosts: 150 Deckhand
    Nice mutton. Thanks for the report.
    Since 2004 as ReelDreams.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,593 Captain
    Thats a stud mutton.
  • BacDocBacDoc Posts: 704 Officer
    Now that is a nice mutton!

Nice work guys, usually I get skunked on a hard SW wind and never go out in those seas when the 20mi buoy is recording “Steep” on the wave detail. Hard to pull the big snappers off the reef when the boat is sitting in that direction anchored up in WSW wind.

Looks like rough seas for the next week straight, not many chances for going offshore for a while.
  • jman122jman122 33478Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Really nice mutton, any size to the kings?
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,113 Officer
    jman122 said:
    Really nice mutton, any size to the kings?
      They were mediums. Good grilling size.
  • blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Nice catch. Thank you for the report.
  • bluewatermafiabluewatermafia Posts: 540 Officer
    nice mutton man! did you post this  report on the cobia boat owners facebook page too? it looks familiar lol