SImrad EVO3

Gamefishin25Gamefishin25 CocoaPosts: 2 Greenhorn
Does anyone know why when I plot a coordinate or go to a waypoint. My Simrad EVO3 plots me across land and not navigational waters? This really comes into play inshore and around the FL Keys. We navigate back from offshore to rental homes we rent most of which are in the many canals and the plot line shows me across land (or the shortest distance). This makes it difficult since the canals are many and small. Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• LMKLMK Posts: 581 Officer
    I read some things about this a few days ago. I have experienced the same issue.I may get some numbers wrong but the gist of this is right.
    The system will only plot about 200 way points and if the way points in the route are more than that it will plot straight lines that go over land. 
    I have had this experience as well and have made several shorter routes and ran them in sequence. Mostly now I will make a route to the place and start with a way point I can easily get to from offshore. Then I simply navigate to that way point and pick up the route from there. 
    Just my $.02 - there are a lot of guys here much smarter than me and maybe we can both learn something new here. 
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,068 Officer
    The GPS will always plot a STRAIGHT LINE course from one point to the destination..... unless you put in intermediate waypoints that are linked together as a route.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    Entering coordinates always creates a straight line from where you are to the coordinate entered.  There is no way this can work as a navigational feature to follow in the Keys as you know.  Your solution is to get the Isla Mapping Florida Marine Tracks chip for your machine.  That will show you exactly with a clear line to follow how to get to any rental house from any location.