Pompano Beach 30 November 2018

John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,650 Captain
edited December 3 in General Paddle Craft #1

Pompano Bch  - 30 Nov 2018  - I Launched off around 5am and found Goggle-eye bait fishing slow, but was able to find runners for the live well off structure out deeper.  On the way out , I landed one short King Mackerel, and had a larger one pull off while trolling a yozuri crystal minnow in about 40ft of water.  First live bait out found a Barracuda, as did the next few baits.

Vertical jigging was slow.  I did not find the medium sized Blackfin Tuna that have been the main take home of other recent kayak fishing trips.   Instead I found a few Little Tunny, and overall slow fishing.

That was until my flatline live bait rod doubled over and the reel started screaming.  It was a classic Sailfish strike, but to my pleasure, A nice Mahi Mahi was on the other end of the line.   

The bull put up a good fight, harder than some sailfish I have taken of double the weight.  After a worthy battle, the trip was made with a Mahi Mahi for dinner !

Replies

• dcrdcr Posts: 301 Deckhand
    Nice report!  Thx for the great pics!
  • krashkrash Posts: 587 Officer
    Nice Mahi...

Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 621 Officer
    edited December 4 #4
    wow way to stick it out that is a mahi that would make the big boats jealous! how do you rig the live baits?
    we need more internet money
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 475 Deckhand
    Very nice John. 
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,650 Captain
    dcr said:
    Nice report!  Thx for the great pics!
    Thanks DCR

krash said:
    Nice Mahi...

Thanks Krash.

andrewthe1 said:
    wow way to stick it out that is a mahi that would make the big boats jealous! how do you rig the live baits?
    Thanks, Standard king Mackerel Stinger rig.... Gotta use it cause you never know what might hit the line.

Basstar said:
    Very nice John. 
    Thanks Basstar.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,271 Moderator
    John McKroid the LEGEND!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!